Is anyone shooting over factory 'spec' with their Micro 355?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Is anyone shooting over factory 'spec' with their Micro 355?

Post by Smong2000 »

I have a 2018 Micro 355 and just yesterday put a Flemish Dan Miller string on it that was reserved by him this week. The bow was zeroed in with an ABB EL string on it and gave up approx 340 fps on the XB30 scope with factory arrows weighing 370ish. I put the newly served string on and with the same arrow had to turn the scope up to just over 360 to zero it out to 50 yds. I am baffled by this, the Flemish string is 10 grains heavier and everything else is the same.
Does this make sense? Why could this occur?
Normous

Re: Is anyone shooting over factory 'spec' with their Micro 355?

Post by Normous »

Anything that adds moving weight will reduce your cronograph readings.

I might add that if your temperature at atmospheric conditions are not identical to the last time you used your cronograph, your readings will be different.

Keep shooting without concern.

After your string settles give it a couple half twists to bump up your speed.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

What I am getting from this is that you put a Flemish string on in place of a factory EL and you think your speed went up because you had to adjust the scope speed ring? I doubt that the Flemish is shooting faster but your point of impact did and you adjusted for old POI @ 50yds. Different strings can have different point of impact because of string and serving diameter. I would suggest that you make sure your 20yd reticle is on and go from there. The speed rings are rarely accurate and mainly just a point of reference.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Whenever I put a new Flemish string on, I set the brace height higher, let is sit for 3-4 days, then shoot the bow a few times. I adjust the brace height, then I proceed to adjust my scope if needed. New strings always seem to throw the poi off most of the time. Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:15 pm
What I am getting from this is that you put a Flemish string on in place of a factory EL and you think your speed went up because you had to adjust the scope speed ring? I doubt that the Flemish is shooting faster but your point of impact did and you adjusted for old POI @ 50yds. Different strings can have different point of impact because of string and serving diameter. I would suggest that you make sure your 20yd reticle is on and go from there. The speed rings are rarely accurate and mainly just a point of reference.
Sorry if not clear, I put on a well broken in Flemish string newly served to replace my ABB EL which was stretching constantly. The zero was off at 20 yds so I dialed it in then shot at 30 to 50 yds and adjusted the speed setting to bring in zero at all ranges. The ring had been dialed in from 20 out to 60 yds with EL string at 340 fps and had to be reset to 360 fps with the Flemish. So in both cases the scope was adjusted to be on from 20 yds out to 50 or 60. Initially it was only was off by about an inch in elevation between the strings at 20 yds and 4 inches off laterally.

My sighting in process is simple, adjust to zero at 20 yds then use 20 yd crosshairs and shoot at 30, 40, 50yds aiming at a dot on top of target. Then lock the bow position with crosshairs on that 20 yd spot and dial speed to get the other crosshairs on exactly where the arrows hit. Only takes half a dozen shots to get it close to perfect that way...

I just did some comparison and the Flemish is actually 18 grains heavier than the ABB and 13 grains heavier than the factory EL and noticably thicker. Haven't tried the factory EL yet.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbup: , I would love to understand this observation... :wtf:
janesy

Post by janesy »

If you didn't shoot it over a chronograph, you observations are probably correct, but they are only observations.

The speed setting on crossbow scopes are merely reference point used to set your elevations downrange, and reflect that, but not your speed. Those numbers could be Roman numerals or alphabetical and they wouldnt give you any more or less info that they do currently. The ring itself serves a function, but the numbers printed on it are marketing at best.

To answer the question, if the well broken in Flemish is physically lighter that the EL string, combined with whichever material it's made of.. then yes very good chance it is moving faster. But probably by 2 fps or less.

Just sight it in shoot it and enjoy, don't get caught up in the numbers game. Chronies are well know to crush hopes and dreams haha! :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just my opinion but . All your data is just normal ...a few fps loss is not worth worrying about .My chrono sits in the closet .My whimpy 250 fps vixen ripped thru a running 8 point this morning and buried in a tree so speed is not a factor. I bet your setup is very accurate that is what counts.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It sounds like you may have gained a bit of speed but as stated don't rely on the scope dial to be accurate. I don't know what an ABB string is, or what material it's made with but if it was stretching a lot it's probably not the performance material used in the Flemish string. All in all it sounds like you're good to go though! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

ABB - America's Best Bowstrings company.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normous wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:36 pm
ABB - America's Best Bowstrings company.
Hmmm. I have never tried their strings. I'll visit their website, thanks Norm!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!