Quill arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Westhoyt

Quill arrows

Post by Westhoyt »

Hey everybody, I have read a few threads on Quill arrows, having to experiment to select a cock vane.
Don't understand why Excalibur puts out arrows without a cock vane marked.
Or is it just better to buy better quality arrows elsewhere?
In The last batch of 6 quill arrows, 2 of them are unacceptable.(over 2 inches off at 30 yds)
And this using field points ,a rest and yes all screws tight on bow.
Thanks , appreciate the feedback good or bad.
Westhoyt

Re: Quill arrows

Post by Westhoyt »

Hey my ignorance, I see the arrows are Easton,
I guess I am just expecting Excalibur to demand a higher standard for the arrows they endorse ,
Only makes sense to have top quality bolts.
Even worth spending a few more dollars .
janesy

Post by janesy »

Westhoyt wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:16 am
Hey my ignorance, I see the arrows are Easton,
I guess I am just expecting Excalibur to demand a higher standard for the arrows they endorse ,
Only makes sense to have top quality bolts.
Even worth spending a few more dollars .
As of 2019 the arrows that come with Excal's are not made by Black Eagle. They are built on the executioner shafts to excaliburs specs.

I cannot comment on having to cull them, but I can comment that the 7 quills I currently have on my desk are definitely built to a higher standard than the Easton quills. If nothing else, they are a stiffer shaft
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Locating the static spine with a marked vane is something custom arrow makers do. Arrows without the cock vane located is the industry standard. It's a matter of economics.
The Proflight arrows are better quality and will fly more consistently. But it doesnt matter who sells arrows, dynamic spine is what will spoil the party. You can locate the static spine on a shaft but it does not guarantee consistent grouping. Dynamic spine cannot be predicted without expensive, time consuming methods. So the bottom line is that even with custom arrows, you still have to shoot them to check for culls. But better quality arrows or custom made arrows will reduce the number of culls.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Westhoyt

Post by Westhoyt »

Thanks , so what kind of Quills are on your desk?
A guy not knowing about how different a single arrow flys depending on what fletch he uses as cockvane could drive him nuts trying to figure out why his groupings are terrible.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Westhoyt wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:33 pm
Thanks , so what kind of Quills are on your desk?
A guy not knowing about how different a single arrow flys depending on what fletch he uses as cockvane could drive him nuts trying to figure out why his groupings are terrible.
Black eagles.

Most people honestly would not notice the difference. But for those who are not happy with 2 inches, they either step up their arrow game, or sort the ones the have. Sorting or culling arrows is really just a fun trip to the range. Just plan to shoot some, bring a marker and a solid, but soft on top rest, and start shooting. You'll only be better off for it
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Westhoyt

Post by Westhoyt »

hey thanks, ya thats what I did, tried them all in all 3 positions.Culled 2
Not seeing any Black Eagle 16.5 quills? I gather you have them cut to length?
janesy

Post by janesy »

Westhoyt wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 pm
hey thanks, ya thats what I did, tried them all in all 3 positions.Culled 2
Not seeing any Black Eagle 16.5 quills? I gather you have them cut to length?
All branded Excalibur arrows After 2019 are now made by BE from their factory 18 and 16.5. They have a slightly different logo and it says Black Eagle in there. I don't recall if the older quills had Easton in the labelling or not.

So depending on when you bought them, or the bow, you should be able to figure out which brand you have.

On a side note, black eagle has starter selling zombies and executioners in 16.5 as well. Why not, they are set up for it now.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Here, this is a 2019 Quill arrow.

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Westhoyt

Post by Westhoyt »

Alright thanks Janesy, guess my arrows are old stock, but that's ok, will shop around.
On a positive note, I have taken 3 bucks with 3 shots the last 3 years.
That is great!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Westhoyt wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:34 pm
Alright thanks Janesy, guess my arrows are old stock, but that's ok, will shop around.
On a positive note, I have taken 3 bucks with 3 shots the last 3 years.
That is great!
Nothing wrong with the old arrows, worked for years and years
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I checked my Quills. The ones that came with my Micro a few years back are Easton with Excal logo and NO cock vane.
They flew ok, but not great.
I then bought some Victory X-Bolts with marked cock vanes. better but still not jaw-dropping accurate.
Finally broke down and had some custom BEE's made. WOW!! :eusa-dance: What a difference! :thumbup:

And if you're wondering, had David @ Wyvern Creations make them!! Just saying! :lol:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!