BC Proposal to BAN Scopes on Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

BC Proposal to BAN Scopes on Crossbows

Post by IronNoggin »

Hidden among the many proposed hunting regulation changes for the future in British Columbia is a proposal to effectively BAN the use of scopes on crossbows. Here is how it reads:

Scopes on Bows during Bow Only Seasons

Regulation Number: 2020-0-05

Region: Province-Wide

Regulation Type: General Open Season, Limited Entry Hunting

Species: All

Closing Date: January 17, 2020 at midnight

Decision Statement: Pending

Current Regulations:

There are currently no regulations that prohibit the use of a scope on archery equipment during bow only seasons.
Proposed Regulations:

Prohibit the use of scopes on bows during bow-only seasons

Rationale:

This proposed regulation was requested by the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team. For more information on the process that led to the request refer to the “Additional Information” section at the bottom of this page.

Crossbow technology has advanced in recent years and their operation has become easier; some users consider a modern crossbow to be more similar to a firearm than a bow. There is mixed support for crossbows during bow only seasons; many jurisdictions have prohibited crossbows during bow only seasons. In B.C., crossbows are still permitted. As a compromise between permitting and prohibiting crossbows during bow only seasons, it is proposed to reduce the effectiveness of modern versions of these weapons by prohibiting scopes.

Bow only seasons are intended to be short range (i.e. around 40 yards) hunting opportunities, and often allow hunting for classes of species (i.e. any buck or antlerless deer) that are not open through general open seasons when firearms are permitted. Historically, this opportunity was in place simply because the success rates of bow hunters was much lower than that of hunters with firearms. Advancements in crossbow technology has increased the range of crossbows closer to 100 yards, which was not considered when instituting short-range hunting seasons in the past. Prohibiting scopes on bows is thought to bring crossbows back into the short-range weapon category.

Under this proposed regulation the use of scopes on bows would only be prohibited during bow only seasons; scopes on bows would continue to be permitted during general open seasons.

Additional Information:

A sub-committee of the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team (PHTAT) with representatives from the B.C. Wildlife Federation, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., B.C. Trappers Association, Wild Sheep Society, Wildlife Stewardship Council, and United Bowhunters of B.C., conducted a review of various hunting practices (methods, tools, and tactics), evaluated those practices against a set of criteria that reflect the principles of fair chase, and recommended management actions for specific hunting practices. These recommendations were accepted by PHTAT and were forwarded to the Province for consideration.

Factors that influenced or informed the Management Action Recommendation included:

Does the hunting method, tool, or tactic:

Negate wildlife’s ability to avoid detection?
Negate wildlife’s ability to escape once it has detected a threat?
Lead to an inhumane treatment of wildlife?
Lead to increased wounding loss/jeopardize a hunter’s ability to retrieve the wildlife?
Jeopardize public acceptance of hunting?
Result in higher harvest rates/reduced opportunity in the future?

Estimated difficulty in enacting a regulation.
Regulatory enforceability.

The Management Action options available for each hunting practice included:

Encourage/discourage the hunting practice through education and/or training
Regulate the hunting practice through legislative prohibitions
Monitor the hunting practice over the coming years to see if it becomes an issue in B.C.
Defer; not of concern and no specific management action or monitoring is required.

I acquired a crossbow due to multiple shoulder injuries that prevent me from using a compound or recurve any longer.
Both my eyes have had repeated surgeries and damage to the extent that I can no longer use iron sights. Period.

This proposal would effectively remove me from the archery seasons. I am far from alone in this situation.

Upon returned from my latest successful crossbow hunt 2 days ago, I learned of this nonsensical proposal.
Yesterday, I had a good long chat with my Lawyer over this matter.
He advises that should this be implemented, a very strong case for discrimination against seniors and / or handicapped individuals exists, and that he is more than willing to take this on. I will be directly writing the Chair of each of the organizations involved in producing this proposal, advising them that their organization will be named in a legal challenge should this proposal move forward. The same will also be sent to the wildlife ministry of BC.

In addition, I will be mounting a public awareness campaign over the next few days.

This is NOT a conservation matter. Period.
It does smack of spite and elitism, and I am simply not going to sit idly by while my hunting access is being directly attacked in this manner.

If the object is to increase wounding / loss rates for crossbow use they could not have dreamed up a better scheme...

BC Hunters / residents can voice their concerns / displeasure with this nonsense by logging in to their BC Hunter Account and then proceeding to the following link:

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

I STRONGLY suggest that any who can get their comments on this BS in ASAP!

Disgusted!
Matt
Last edited by IronNoggin on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Stepnoutnb

Re: BC Proposal to BAN Scopes in Crossbows

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Wow this has everything to do with the anti crossbow followers. Nothing more.
Really how many folks would ethically shoot out to 100 yards at game with any kind of bow.
At my age I too can not use a longbow. Bad shoulder.
Wayne
nchunterkw

Re: BC Proposal to BAN Scopes on Crossbows

Post by nchunterkw »

Wow. The ignorance in that regulation is unbelievable. Yes a crossbow, or ANY bow can be accurate at 100 yards. My frend, back in the 1970's competed in Olympic Archery with a longbow at 70meters! THAT does not mean you can hunt wild game at that distance. The same idiot that would shoot at a deer at 100yds now with a crossbow with a multi-retical scope, will still shoot at that deer with a pin and peep site! And who knows where THAT arrow will end up.

400gr@400FPS DOES NOT EQUAL 200gr@3000FPS.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That is brutal!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I am beyond angry at this short sighted stupidity! This is ammunition for the anti-hunters...and it's being spearheaded by supposed hunters. I promise this, if they are successfully with this ridiculous ban, causing such great divisions within the hunting community, I will happily give ammunition to anti hunting groups within bc to stop bow hunting altogether! I have no problem taking my ball and going home....because I can be so small, petty, and spiteful!!!! :x :x :eusa-naughty: ......hopefully we can stop this nonsense.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I agree this scope ban is B.S. but I feel the Bow manufactures kind of brought it on them self's they keep selling faster bows that they themselves push as 100 yard hunting tools.
I can tell you for a fact that scopes help reduce wounded animals with better shot placement at reasonable and ethical distances , Which I feel should be under 40 yards past that one step by the animal as you pull the trigger and you got a bad hit.
But banning scopes will only wound more animals.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
BCBear

Post by BCBear »

If it does get approval I certainly hope Excalibur has something I can hang on my Equinox rail.
I love racks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Blame ravins 100 yard commercial for helping this and giving it more fuel for the fire
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

You hit the nail on the had Joe . no doubt in my mine about the Ravin commercial .
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think the Ravin, Sub 1, Scorpyd, etc... have little to do with it. This is pure elitism and for whatever reason, a loathing of crossbows. I know this from over 30 years of vertical archery. Over half of that qas a highly competitive level. Prior to my discovery of crossbows I was merely indifferent to them because I had no interest. I did always view them as another form of archery like longbows and recurve bows. However, I was always a minority in this mindset because most other bow shooters hated them and felt they didn't belong in archery...much like the traditional shooters felt about compound bows as well. This is merely a way for them to destroy crossbow hunting as we know it. Don't blame the manufacturers, look inward to the various archery and hunting organizations that don't like the competition in the field. This is just the beginning and needs to be met with overwhelming opposition!

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Paul, it may be elitism but companies like Ravin gave them the cannon fodder. Meet you next rifle??? :thumbdown:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

As some might say be careful what you ask for. In this case crossbows shooting silly speed, scopes better than your best rifle, rests to put your crossbow on for support, cranks so you don't have to draw it by hand and a commercial that says "you're next rifle" Places like Wyoming and Wisconsin saying that crossbows are having a higher kill rate than previous archery season equipment . The scope is just the start !
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

thank ravin for stirring the pot. I guy here shot deer at 100yrds so he says . :eusa-popcorn: i sit hunting thinking wow 100yrds is far and why would I shoot that when I can get close. you watch more laws will come into play like ny 200lb bs..
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Already some rather significant inroads have been made behind the scenes in determining just where this BS originated, and who supported it. There will be some surprises in store for some once that has been collated for all involved. Can't say much more yet, but there will be some rather pointed public announcements coming out in the near future in this regard. Once that is completed, there will be very little doubt as to "who" is tossing their fellow hunters under the bus...

On other fronts the letter I drafted to the Ministry is being vetted by my legal representative.
Bottom line is if the province proceeds, they will face an immediate legal challenge.
While we hope to avoid that, we are indeed prepared to engage if it becomes required...

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

So then what's next no scopes on rifles cause some hunters can shoots their game a few hundred yards away? I guess it will be iron sights?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers