Trying something new this spring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: Trying something new this spring

Post by hunter with MS »

Federal came out with a TSS load for the 410 and Stevens and Mossberg came out with the shotgun in 410 to shoot it the shot size is #9 . I watched a hunting show where they used the stevens 301 410 turkey and took turkeys out to 40 yards with it the turkeys never really moved . A box of tss in 410 runs around $30.00 for 10 .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

grouse wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:42 pm
I've killed about 35 turkeys over the years and I agree with Jansey - a 410 seems a little light for turkeys. To my mind it would be in the ballpark with using a .22 rimfire for deer. You might succeed but you're probably under gunned. A full choke 410 is similar to shooting a rifle at close range and you're not shooting at a turkey, you're shooting at a turkey's head, and that is a small target. If you want to stay away from a 12 ga., a 20 ga. 3" mag with heavy weight or heavy shot in 4 or 6 shot, is pretty good out to about 40 yards.
You have obviously never seen TSS ( or as some call it magic pixie dust guaranteed to put a turkey to sleep) and what it can do makes a 20 better than most 12s and a .410 into a 40 yard killer easy !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just my 2 cents but in total truth ....l would rather hunt with my excalibur than with a .410. Or any shotgun for that matter. A big ol super freak extreme or spit max will drop a big bird just as good and no need to resight your bow from deer season .
Best of all ...no noise from the tent..my brother and l killed our birds ten minutes apart last year . The dead one made a great decoy.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

you got that right I switched to my Excalibur a few years ago and have not looked back. This coming season I will be using my 308 short with Xact BH . But for people who use shotguns the 410 my be a challenge to them .
grouse

Post by grouse »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 pm
grouse wrote:
I've killed about 35 turkeys over the years and I agree with Jansey - a 410 seems a little light for turkeys. To my mind it would be in the ballpark with using a .22 rimfire for deer. You might succeed but you're probably under gunned. A full choke 410 is similar to shooting a rifle at close range and you're not shooting at a turkey, you're shooting at a turkey's head, and that is a small target. If you want to stay away from a 12 ga., a 20 ga. 3" mag with heavy weight or heavy shot in 4 or 6 shot, is pretty good out to about 40 yards.
You have obviously never seen TSS ( or as some call it magic pixie dust guaranteed to put a turkey to sleep) and what it can do makes a 20 better than most 12s and a .410 into a 40 yard killer easy !
I'm not challenging the ability of a 410 to kill a turkey, my point is that it is hard to hit a turkey's head with the small pattern a 410 has. I would want rifle sights or a scope.
axiom
350 SE
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

grouse wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 am
Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 pm
grouse wrote:
I'm not challenging the ability of a 410 to kill a turkey, my point is that it is hard to hit a turkey's head with the small pattern a 410 has. I would want rifle sights or a scope.
I hear that but its not limited to the .410 i'm real careful if they get in to close and sometimes you almost have to body shoot them. The good thing about TSS is you can go with a more open choke and still get good patterns that are not as tight as a regular tight turkey choke. I'll have to look up the number counts guy are getting in the 20" circle with TSS but its impressive !
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:25 am
Just my 2 cents but in total truth ....l would rather hunt with my excalibur than with a .410. Or any shotgun for that matter. A big ol super freak extreme or spit max will drop a big bird just as good and no need to resight your bow from deer season .
Best of all ...no noise from the tent..my brother and l killed our birds ten minutes apart last year . The dead one made a great decoy.
I like using my excal but can't hunt from a blind to confining. Also places like Montana do not allow use of a crossbow in spring turkey sesason so need a back up plan !!

Plus there is just something cool about shooting a turkey in the head with shotgun :twisted:
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

go to you tube and search Stevens 410 turkey shotgun shooting the tss . You will be surprised at the pattern it makes on a turkey pattern target more pellets in the kill zone then some 12 gauges . When I hunted them with shotgun I wanted a real tight choke something in an xtra xtra full . I watched the show again and the turkey was dropped at 45 yards with the 410 tss load . The show is called wall hanger tv .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I went back to my gun shop and changed the order to the 20 gauge because Indiana will not allow the.410. I’m still pumped about turkey hunting, and hopefully the crossbow will also be something I hunt with. I think Indiana has archery turkey only in the fall, but I’ll get all up to date on the laws after the holidays.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Dan check out New Days Outdoors on the youTube he is a Indiana guy .
W.M.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bill, I'll take a look at that for sure. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a Taurus judge .45/.410 pistol l saw a guy on YouTube blast a Turkey at close range with it . It was way cool but l wonder of its legal in pa .
I have to check.
When l was a kid l shot a giant Canadian goose with a .410 with #bb shot at about 70 yards....l believe l got it with a lucky pellet to the head but it made me feel like a better shot than l was lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

W.Miguire wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:36 pm
Dan check out New Days Outdoors on the youTube he is a Indiana guy .
W.M.
In tried to watch but most of the turkey hunts are sitting in a blind hunting over decoys and if you've seen one of those well you've seen them all ! Boring lo

I like these guys videos !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONU_KjdgYA
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

What ever you chose Dan , you'll have a blast doing it. I love deer hunting but hunting turkey is just alittle bit more special to me. Something about talking to that turkey to make him come to you and to feel that gobble that wants to knock your hat off. Gotta love it!!! Good luck again Dan.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I like turkey hunting more then deer I got hooked on turkey hunting long time ago chances are you will to like most hunters I know . Just have fun .