O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Post by longbow joe »

I think this is gonna be a long thread lol.
Dan l have tried many many many many box callers over the years and the 20 some dollar Quaker boy grand old master is the king of all ....dont know why but that call has produced when all others fail.
I wont share that with many but none of you hunt here lol.
One time a friend of mine was hunting on a ridge and he was a much better Turkey hunter than l . Well after he threw his vest full of calls he walked away leaving the "impossible " bird to me to waist my time on.
5 yelps and up he came up the ridge and it was over.
I have seen this call do this many times
Last edited by longbow joe on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 pm
I think this is gonna be a long thread lol.
Dan l have tried many many many many box callers over the years and the 20 some dollar Quaker boy grand old master is the king of all ....dont know why but that call has produced when all others fail.
I wont share that with many but none of you hunt here lol.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going on line looking for this right now! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

16 bucks lolololl
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

$19 free shipping Amazon! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Don't know why but I'm so pumped about hunting these in the spring, maybe it splits the year in half! :eusa-think:
janesy

Post by janesy »

If you can still find an "abanshee" box call. Waterproof, cheap and durable.

But when it comes to calls, try a mouth call, practice when you drive around. Nothing makes a more natural sound than your lungs. Lots of people try one then give up. But get a couple brands, they all have softer or harder tape and it makes a difference. If it doesn't fit, go ahead and cut it.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I hunted with a guy from Georgia about 7 years ago in New Mexico. I have never met a guy that could call a turkey like him. Never used a decoy ever and man what a turkey caller and killer. The only call he ever used was a box call. I know it was a lynch but other than that not sure. He told me he went to several places and tried all their calls until he found the sound he wanted ! He really new how to make that call talk and exactly when to put it down. Man did I pick his brain on turkey calling and hunting !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I remember back in the 80's the Remington 1100 with a 30 inch barrel was the turkey slayer to have. My brother bought me one for my 18th birthday man was that gun the bomb.Then the "special purpose " guns came out.
To this day even though the barrel is long as hell but that long aiming barrel was awesome for aiming and the fixed full choke was better patterning than any adjustable choke gun l ever purchased l cant find a better buckshot gun and l have tried a lot.
My ten guage shoots a giant load but still wont put more pellets where it counts better than that old 1100.
I killed a lot of turkeys with the long barrel 1100 l still use it when I'm not crossbow hunting them.
chilly_willy

Post by chilly_willy »

Dan, check out this forum Old Gobbler.com You might like it. A lot of good guys there and all your questions answered.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

chilly_willy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:26 am
Dan, check out this forum Old Gobbler.com You might like it. A lot of good guys there and all your questions answered.
That was a great site at one time but most of the good guys there were booted off a long time ago lol
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I picked up a pair of mouth calls from Primos. I was at Cabelas a week, or so ago and got the hooks set of two different calls for $18. Got the Quaker Boy Box too. Been driving the Queen crazy! :lol: :lol:
Now I pracrice in the garage, or the truck when I'm running errands. Man do I get some stares when I'm at a light calling. :lol: :lol:
Anyway, trying to master the "Cluck" right now with the mouth calls. I'm truly having a blast with this turkey hunting plan. :thumbup:
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:16 pm
I picked up a pair of mouth calls from Primos. I was at Cabelas a week, or so ago and got the hooks set of two different calls for $18. Got the Quaker Boy Box too. Been driving the Queen crazy! :lol: :lol:
Now I pracrice in the garage, or the truck when I'm running errands. Man do I get some stares when I'm at a light calling. :lol: :lol:
Anyway, trying to master the "Cluck" right now with the mouth calls. I'm truly having a blast with this turkey hunting plan. :thumbup:
I bet she can't wait until you get into goose hunting! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Dan it is a good thing you don't own a parrot , you can guess the rest of the story. :lol: :lol: :lol:
W.M.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

xcaliber wrote:

That didn't take long lol

There was a story from a guy that was sitting a store parking lot practicing with his trumpet call. A police officer approached him because someone had reported that he was using a crack pipe So be careful out there :mrgreen: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:35 am
xcaliber wrote:

That didn't take long lol

There was a story from a guy that was sitting a store parking lot practicing with his trumpet call. A police officer approached him because someone had reported that he was using a crack pipe So be careful out there :mrgreen: :lol:
Will do. :lol: :lol:
I am probably having too much fun with this, hoping to get some decent weather soon to pattern my gun.
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Late to the party, as usual, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I use a Mossberg 835 Ultimag.
3.5" #6

I now always hunt national forests, so the game is a bit different than farm field edges and no tents or decoys anymore. Hunting vest, a roll of camo burlap, box and a slate and my 835 is all I need.

Tips:. Pattern your gun with every load and choke tube because every gun has it's own character. Don't mix shells and shot size.

Be patient when calling. Too little calling is better than too much. You get too smell all you want as their sense of smell is terrible. They have really good hearing and exceptional eye sight. I have had birds bust me from 50 yards when all I did was hiccup.

Personally, I love turkey hunting more than deer. The banter the stalk and Chase, the race to get a ton when a real hen is also talking to him.

It is a blast!!! You will love it!
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound