Still hunting Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Still hunting Crossbow

Post by ko4nrbs »

My Exomax is a great crossbow and has served me well. That said I plan on doing a lot more still hunting for deer and hogs and the Exomax is just getting to be too much to carry in these woods. After a few hours of hunting my shoulders and back start complaining. My 68 years are catching to to me!!

What would you guys recommend for a good still hunting crossbow? I need something I can carry in the woods without getting wore out in a few hours and something not getting caught up in the briars, etc. so bad.

I probably know the answer but wanted to see what your experiences have been before laying out the cash. I'll keep the Exomax as a backup plus I just plain like it!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Re: Still hunting Crossbow

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like a small bow is required, and something inexpensive as well, I say Axe! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

If it were me still hunting in the thick stuff where shots are not far, my preference goes to the lightest and narrowest crossbow platform that fits my budget. My goal was to reduce overall footprint and weight.

Two things I have recently upgraded at the end of this year to prepare my hunting crossbow for 2020, one is a high quality lightweight Optic and the other, my quiver to the newest lightest quiver on the market for 2020. It can carry 3 plus 2, meaning 3 broadheads and 2 mechanical or field points, or 5 Mechanical BH's. This quiver is all in a 5.97 oz.

The new 2019 TRIJICON SRO 1 MOA dot scope at 1.6 oz is just simply amazing and a perfect compliment to my fast handling lightweight hunting crossbow.
The SRO Optic was designed for the competitive target shooter in mind and just fits my requirement PERFECT!

Just my thoughts...
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I really like my Micro Suppressor 355. It can be a little on the "stout" side to cock, but man is it light and compact. Works great out of a "pop up" blind or in a tree stand. I equip mine with custom BEE's made by David over at Wyvern Creations. They hum!! :thumbup:

I mainly hunt out of a tree stand, but I screwed up a knee this past summer and resorted to hunting out of a couple of Pop ups. Had plenty of space. No trouble maneuvering the bow into place for a shot. I even had room in one to place a Caldwell Dead Shot tripod.
Hopefully I'll be back in a tree by next fall with the Good Lord willing!! :angel:

I know the Micro and the Assassin are a little heavy on the dollar side. But I guess it's that old adage, you get what you pay for.
I've seen them on the forum for sale. Usually at a VERY reduced price. :think:

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Axe or any of the other compacts. But if Excalibur makes them, I don't think any would be a bad choice. :eusa-clap:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I would look at the Axe I to hunted with the Max and it got to much for me to carry around . I went first with a matrix 330 . Then the 308 short and then I got the Axe what a difference can carry them all day and they shoot lights out just like the max .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I started out years ago with the exomax. I finally took it moose hunting in northern Ontario and if you have ever hunted the bush there its thick. I hated to carry that boat anchor. I finally got talked into the micro 335 by some buddies and although I have had some issues with it carrying it is not one of them. I carried it all around Nebraska spot and stalking mule deer and what a difference.I also carried it aroun d the hills of Kentucky still hunting and the same although flatter in Kansas. I also carry it with me in the spring turkey hunting and do mostly run and gun so its also been nice for that. I would get caught moving the boat anchor all the time but with the micro not so much anymore. Now that I believe I have the limb problems corrected it is shooting very accurately. The exomax never let me down but for carrying 335 hands down. Its also nice for some of the tight areas where the exomax was too wide to shoot. I also don't have a bow mounted quiver and never have so that takes some weight off. I thought about putting the burris ff3 on it but with possible longer shots on mule deer I decided not too.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Dollar for dollar or pound for pound... You won't find a better bow to fit your description than the AXE.

Or a 315 when you find them on clearance deals. But the AXE give you all the accessories you don't always get with the lower line micros.

I carried my AXE this morning
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

X 2 for the Axe easy carry and great for tight spaces
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Axe it is!! Won’t buy until I get back from Florida in March. Leaving Friday morning in the Winnebago View. Love the Bass Pro in Palm Bay!!
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Bill, travel safe! Have a great trip, and enjoy the weather! :eusa-dance:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 pm
Bill, travel safe! Have a great trip, and enjoy the weather! :eusa-dance:
Thank you I will. Want me to save you a spot in the RV Park? We stay in the Brevard county campground in Melbourne.

We could go hog hunting!!

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks