How Many Steps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

How Many Steps

Post by xcaliber »

As a deer hunter I employ many tactics throughout the season to tip the odds in my favor. I use drag rags, trailing scents, etc. I use a method to help me get as much wind advantage as possible. I come in from down wind, (wind in face) to be clear. If I have to, I will come in on a loop. I get 20 yards upwind of my stand location then hook down wind. I then watch the trail, and plan to shoot before the deer gets totally down wind. It has worked well for many years using various scents. For me the James Valley works best without spooking doe.

For me in the woods, I have to make 36 - 37 steps to equal 20 yards, these are not range measuring type steps, normal strides I would be taking to sneak in. I did this in the garage with chalk one day many years ago, and check it every few years. I mark my left boot tip, and right, then step and mark again. Measure and do the math. I check it in as close of a straight line in the woods as possible. This works great!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Re: How Many Steps

Post by longbow joe »

I just spray doe p on my boots and go in. Most of my entries are more challenging getting a neighbor's dog not to bark at me as I'm sneaking in. Lol.or dodging a guy throwing leaves over his fence into the woodlot.
On my more remote swamp spots it's so thick there's only l path in and out so there's no wind choices. Usually take my rangefinder and put a fake surveyor's stake at 30 yards making ranging a little easier on the farther shooting lanes take some guessing out.
Happy new year Exie. I hope its healthy !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You too Joe, making life changes all the time and feeling good. I’m still trying to find my limitations and my wife keeps me busy too.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I go in using no scents wearing rubber boots and try not to touch anything. When a deer comes in I want it to think it's business as usual! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 am
I go in using no scents wearing rubber boots and try not to touch anything. When a deer comes in I want it to think it's business as usual! :)
I do this. If the wind isn't right for me to walk in, I don't go.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I spray deer dander on my boots when walking in.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

janesy wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 am
I do this. If the wind isn't right for me to walk in, I don't go.
Me too
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I also wear rubber boots and walk in slowly....picture a Tim Conway skit on the Carol Burnett show of yesteryear....with me walking in like Tim :eusa-liar:

Anthony :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Damn! You really do all that Mr, Excaliber? I guess me riding down the trail in my four wheeler, and pullin off the trail to park. And then walk 30-40 yards to my stand or blind, spit and load up another dip of Wintergreen of course. The deer down here really love the wintergreen, or a nice c.a.o. Brazila in robusto Especially when your up 25 feet or so in a box or climber stand and the smoke slowly drifts through the early morning dew. Yes Sir, I have had to put down a few cigars. To stick one. (SMILE)…..Bubba.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

bubba wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:34 pm
Damn! You really do all that Mr, Excaliber? I guess me riding down the trail in my four wheeler, and pullin off the trail to park. And then walk 30-40 yards to my stand or blind, spit and load up another dip of Wintergreen of course. The deer down here really love the wintergreen, or a nice c.a.o. Brazila in robusto Especially when your up 25 feet or so in a box or climber stand and the smoke slowly drifts through the early morning dew. Yes Sir, I have had to put down a few cigars. To stick one. (SMILE)…..Bubba.
I do, but it hark ens back to all the years of hunting public land, and trying to get deer in your remote area! :lol: :lol: When I have good land to hunt on, I dial it down a notch or three.
Bubba, my old buddy smoked stogies in the stand all the time and always got a nice buck year after year. I think he had a horseshoe for a tail bone! :lol: :lol:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I don't do anything to arrest my cent,,,, I just walk in , I take the easy way in that's simple for me.....
don't use anything to cover my cent, or to attract deer, I shower before I leave the house, 'BUT' when I used to camp I got to smelling pretty rank
after about 4 or 5 days, I would take a standing bath and that would help, I can't even count how many deer that I killed that was tracking me to my stand,,, I know I will get some trashing for this BUT it is what it is. :shifty:
actually the last big buck that I killed the one that (Dan) posted for me was tracking me, I shot him at 35 yds.

Dave :eusa-dance:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I don't use scents or anything to cover my scent other normal woodsmanship and milk weed down to show where my scent is going.
I had an old friend who always smoked a good cigar in the woods and watched his downwind side. He said he learned it from a bear guide who claimed a cigar was as good as a 'honey burn' to lure bear in. He saw and killed many deer and a few bear coming to his smoke over the years.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Papa bear, I've been there. Hunting up in western ky, out in them farm fields seen deer all the time out there while the farmer drove and worked his tractor never seemed to bother them at all. At least on a lot of occasions a few told me the best cover scent was either oil or diesel... Heck you never know, I've also seen deer do a near back flip when picking up my scent… go figure. Just another part of the love of hunting, out there beating the bush, gotta love it. P.S. Mr Excalibur! I remember a lot of them there old public hunting day's .. What a mess. Sure am glad those days are long gone.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)