New Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: New Broadheads

Post by janesy »

W.Miguire wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:16 pm
They look good and deadly . the cost is a bit high but if that what it cost thats what they cost it will be up to you if that's what you want. I hope they are not made in China .
W.M.
Georgia.
Spoke to the manufacturer, great folks.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:13 pm
I can drop a Turkey with a spitfire max.
But l think lm gonna give them a try for spring Turkey. I like em a lot ....nice n wide. I'm not familiar with the filament explain the need for it. The xact dosnt have it?
As Billy mentioned. As well, and sorry Billy I forgot to mention this, but they did all the field testing for this bow using the Excalibur 440. Since it has one of, if not the highest initial torque load of available bows. They found on the prototype that in testing, the 440 was causing the blades to deform the ferrule after multiple target hits with the same head. You can see how wide the blade is when the head is opened. It was causing impact damage. As I discussed with the manufacturer, the amount of hits it took to damage it was pretty much irrelevant, as no hunter would put the head into a Reinhardt so many times. But non the less, a solution was made to prevent this.

The solution is the filament, it cushions the blades when the deploy every time, but then also allow for an extra 1/16th of space to allow the blade to move out of the way on impact of a bone or whatever. Once crushed, you simply push a new piece in and cut it off. Theoretically you could hit the target, and then replace the filament and be brand new before the hunt.

I have spoken to them a few times before, and they are always receptive and eager to share. I found 2 heads that I will be using this year, and this is certainly one of them.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 pm
Bcxbow wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am
deleted, wrong video
But I did find this while I was there....

https://youtu.be/KXGLSF3MuZw
Sweet! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Does the alluminum 100 grain use the filament also?
Just thinking which route to go the 100 with a standard 110 insert or a 150 with a 50 grain alluminum insert that's gonna take me 10 grains shy.
Yea after using the xact the interloc broadheads have nothing to prove to me they are total quality. Everything l shot with them died.
The wider cut definitely appeals to me on the new ones especially for Turkey . I only lost one Turkey out of 25 with the spitfire max but lm up to trying new stuff .The super freak also was awsome but l still favor the wide 3 blade for some reason over the freaks 2 blades.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 am
Does the alluminum 100 grain use the filament also?
Just thinking which route to go the 100 with a standard 110 insert or a 150 with a 50 grain alluminum insert that's gonna take me 10 grains shy.
Yea after using the xact the interloc broadheads have nothing to prove to me they are total quality. Everything l shot with them died.
The wider cut definitely appeals to me on the new ones especially for Turkey . I only lost one Turkey out of 25 with the spitfire max but lm up to trying new stuff .The super freak also was awsome but l still favor the wide 3 blade for some reason over the freaks 2 blades.
Yes the 100gr uses the filament
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thank you
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:50 am
There is a thread on here with many tears shed already about the cost :lol: . They are MSRP around $65. Nobody pays MSRP.

Retail is landing around 45-50.
not referring to only the archery trade.

is this a common practice, announce new items with a high price so when an item is finally available at a lower cost so it looks like a great deal :?: to me it just seems like a marketing thing imo
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
janesy

Post by janesy »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am
janesy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:50 am
There is a thread on here with many tears shed already about the cost :lol: . They are MSRP around $65. Nobody pays MSRP.

Retail is landing around 45-50.
not referring to only the archery trade.

is this a common practice, announce new items with a high price so when an item is finally available at a lower cost so it looks like a great deal :?: to me it just seems like a marketing thing imo
Absolutely a marketing thing.

Most if not all of the heads introduced this year will be landing in the same price range. WASP was introduced a new imported head, that does not come with replacement blades for $10-15 less. It was a nice head, similar to the exedus.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

Are these new heads on sale anywhere in Canada yet?
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

curious wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am
Are these new heads on sale anywhere in Canada yet?
No, won't be available until at least April so I was told
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

Thanks Janesy
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I've never used mechanicals, but I admit I sure am getting tempted after seeing pictures of this Excalibur broadhead and also the Swat X broadhead.

I like the four blade feature of the Swat X with its 2" cut. The Excalibur is 3 blade also with a 2" cut. The extra blade on the Swat X is an advantage, as long as there is enough weight and energy behind it so that penetration is not sacrificed. The extra blade should produce at least a bit more bleeding.

The Excalibur is steel, and that's a plus.

Between the two models, up to this point, they would seem in theory to be pretty even in performance.

I do wonder about the tip, though. On a quartering shot, might the Excalibur needle point perform better? Might it be less likely to deflect than the somewhat rounded and blunt front end of the Swat X? Or, am I imagining something?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have used NAP 's FOC mechanical with great success , and had the best blood trail I ever had with a spit fire 1 3/4 NAP so if this new head is 2" I think it will do great.
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The point on the excalibur xact cut is one of the sharpest around l have seen. I have many quartering away shots with no problems dont see why the new version would not be fine also
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I guess I was hoping that people who use mechanicals would be able to offer some insight on the deflection question. Would it be less of a concern with the Excalibur than the Swat X, or, is it a non issue for both?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.