Do big bucks grunt louder than small bucks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Do big bucks grunt louder than small bucks

Post by BryanOney »

I have seen and heard many bucks grunt over the years. Some are quiet grunts some I would describe as average or normal sounding. Most of the time when I hear a buck grunting I can see it. Twice this year I had a buck grunting way louder than I have ever heard a buck grunt before. It was so loud I could not see the buck even though I had good visibility for 100 yds. Has anyone ever noticed do big bucks make freakishly loud grunts or could any size buck have made these loud grunts. Thanks
gerald strine

Re: Do big bucks grunt louder than small bucks

Post by gerald strine »

Just a guess perhaps you herd another hunter with a grunt call ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Craiga

Post by Craiga »

While I agree with the other poster that it could have been another hunter, I also will say that older bucks absolutely grunt louder and deeper than others.

I have heard mature bucks chasing does grunt so loud it startled me before.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have herd buck grunt or growl very loud , I could not believe it eater very strange.
W.M.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

there's a good chance that older mature bucks can and do sound off louder than younger bucks.

same holds true for a lot of species !

that's not to say a few youngsters aren't loud mouthed!

:problem:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I agree a older buck will usually have a more "throaty" grunt .
On of my favorite grunt calls is a quaker boy deer thugs brawler grunt call . I have had it scare little bucks packing many times but l killed my largest bucks a 14 pointer and big swamp buck along with big tall 12 all with the brawler ..
Its loud and throaty molded after a real deers throat if your after the big buck of the neighborhood this thing brings em in and pissed off too.
If you hunt spikes and small stuff it is definitely not recommended
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I used to hunt with a guy near Dutton Ontario and he shot some big bucks in MZ season. The best story he tells is of a nice 8 point coming out grunting and he shot it. He was party hunting so he reloaded and waited. About 15 minutes latter he heard a loud bellow like an elk almost a roar. Then the biggest buck he had ever seen came out and stood and did the same thing. He shot it and it was a huge non-typical with like 24 points on it . I have a pic of it somewhere. So it could well have been a buck you heard.