What's the next hunt for 2020?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: What's the next hunt for 2020?

Post by DuckHunt »

Ridiculous as it sounds, antlerless only deer season in Northern Virginia continues through April 26. I've taken a doe in January before, but I'm normally done with deer before the end of the year.

We still have waterfowl through the end of January in WV and geese through mid-February in VA. I've been out for geese three times this week and I'm hoping to make a float trip tomorrow on the Shenandoah River if the weather will cooperate and get out of here.

After that, my next hunt will be probably be geese again on September 1st just days before deer seasons reopens on September 5th.

I've never gotten into spring turkey because I've always been limited to hunting on public land. Its one of the only types of hunting where you camo yourself up as best you can, then go out into the woods and try to imitate the species that fellow hunters are out there trying to get a shot at. Couple that with shotguns as heavily loaded as possible and its a recipe for disaster. I'm sure it would be fun, but I've seen the types of people that hunt on public land around here and its a chance I'm not willing to take.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Feb. 7-9, Colton and I drew out on a javelina hunt in far south Texas. It’s on Chaparral WMA,one of Texas bestWMA’s. The javelina hunts aren’t too hard to get drawn on, the whitetail hunts are a different story. It’s an incredible place, no telling what you may see. Also can take unlimited coyotes, and they have plenty. Really looking forward to it.
I've hunted that unit many times. Just a heck of a drive to Artesia Wells!!! :lol:
Have a safe trip and good luck!! :thumbup:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'm actually going on a hog hunt in March up the in the panhandle of Texas.
Then I'll go and try to savage all the Crappie and White (Sand) Bass I can find. :thumbup: :lol:
Then I'll see about catching some BIG Blue Cats!!
Then hopefully by fall I'll be headed off to Arkansas for a Black Bear hunt.
Then it's deer season all over again.
Nice to be retired!!! :lol: :thumbup: :lol:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:09 pm
Feb. 7-9, Colton and I drew out on a javelina hunt in far south Texas. It’s on Chaparral WMA,one of Texas bestWMA’s. The javelina hunts aren’t too hard to get drawn on, the whitetail hunts are a different story. It’s an incredible place, no telling what you may see. Also can take unlimited coyotes, and they have plenty. Really looking forward to it.
I've hunted that unit many times. Just a heck of a drive to Artesia Wells!!! :lol:
AJ
I drew out on a javelina hunt at Chap in the mid eighties. I noticed that they took all the stand-by hunters as well. I asked if that was a policy. They crawfished and said that they couldn't guarantee that. But then the guy smiled and said that they realized it was a long way down there. I went 4 or 5 times as a stand-by and got to hunt every time. In 2001, after applying since '85 I got drawn to deer hunt. Had a great time and got a fair deer. Have since been back with Colton when he drew out on a "youth" hunt. First time that I have been back in about 4 or 5 years. It is a drive from DFW but is an awesome place. Sure looking forward.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

spring turkey here in Illinois.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

DuckHunt wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:00 pm

I've never gotten into spring turkey because I've always been limited to hunting on public land. Its one of the only types of hunting where you camo yourself up as best you can, then go out into the woods and try to imitate the species that fellow hunters are out there trying to get a shot at. Couple that with shotguns as heavily loaded as possible and its a recipe for disaster. I'm sure it would be fun, but I've seen the types of people that hunt on public land around here and its a chance I'm not willing to take.
Yes you have to be very careful in your set ups. I have had people stalk up to me when hen calling in the spring and have had people shoot into my decoys twice luckily the shot was not directly at me because of the set up. It is also very hard to get someones attention when they think they are sneaking up on a turkey. I had one guy walk across a field in the wide open with his gun at his shoulder approaching my jake and hen set up. It was like he was in a trance I carry a whistle as it is the only thing sometimes that gets their attention as shouting doesn't lol
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:35 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:09 pm
AJ
I drew out on a javelina hunt at Chap in the mid eighties. I noticed that they took all the stand-by hunters as well. I asked if that was a policy. They crawfished and said that they couldn't guarantee that. But then the guy smiled and said that they realized it was a long way down there. I went 4 or 5 times as a stand-by and got to hunt every time. In 2001, after applying since '85 I got drawn to deer hunt. Had a great time and got a fair deer. Have since been back with Colton when he drew out on a "youth" hunt. First time that I have been back in about 4 or 5 years. It is a drive from DFW but is an awesome place. Sure looking forward.
We (several guys from work), use to apply to a bunch of the "draw hunts", and like you, we found out certain places, like Chap, did have a few "stand-by" hunts on each draw. We made that trip many times from Waco, so I understand the drive. It's just cactus, mesquite and rocks south of San Antonio. After retiring and moving back to rural East Texas, I stopped making that drive.
I would like to draw into the "Super Hunt" but those adds are slim and none! :lol: :crazy: :lol:

Hope you guys enjoy your trip and get a few Javelina in the process!! Happy Hunting!! :thumbup: