Bore Sighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Bore Sighting

Post by W.Miguire »

Just wondering if anyone uses a bore sighter? I was fooling around with one and it worked just fine . of course it is only good for close range but it gets you close to center with no guessing. the one I used is made by Laserlyte.
bigbowman

Re: Bore Sighting

Post by bigbowman »

I bought a Firefield Crossbow Laser Sighting Tool to sight my bows in. It attaches to an arrow. I cock the bow and load a arrow with the bore sight attached. I put a target up at 20yds in my upstairs where I have enough room. I get my scopes dead on! When I take them outside to fine tune it at a target, I only have a few clicks either way at the most! Definitely saves time and wear n tear on the bow! Good luck!

Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
curious

Post by curious »

Image[/img]
I machined a piece of stainless steel the same diameter as my arrows and reamed a nice slide fit hole to take my laser boresighter I just slip it under the string on the rail and put the laser dot on the target then adjust the scope crosshairs to the centre of the dot. I am within a couple of clicks st 20 yards.
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40, HHA Tetra XB
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 strings
curious

Post by curious »

I guess my pictures didn't attach sorry
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
Boo force 10 strings
curious

Post by curious »

Image[/img]
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
Boo force 10 strings
curious

Post by curious »

Dr Stirrup Bumpers
Boo force 10 strings
curious

Post by curious »

Dr Stirrup Bumpers
Boo force 10 strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I shoot my first shot at 5 yards, from a bench, then move scope to arrow. I’m ready to go to 20 yards then. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Not that these are bad ideas, completely to the contrary, but how often are you guys sighting in bows that need more than a couple clicks regardless of it being boresighted or not.

The only bow I have ever assembled and not had hit within 2 clicks at 15 yards was my Axe... And that's cause the scope rings wasn't in the rail properly. And I will say that going from Excal to TT trigger usually makes the scope point down slightly.

I see all the benifits of it, and the fun in tinkering, but is it nessecary? No flaming here, just a question for your findings
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Never counted but I’m thinking you’re close Chris. Maybe with a scope change out a few clicks but again not many. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I find it gets you real close but you must load a arrow because you get a diff. point of aim with it uncocked there is a lot of stress on the trigger.
W.M.
curious

Post by curious »

For me it's not that it's difficult to sight in the bow with a scope. I came up with this to quickly set up a second scope and my red dot for my Axe in my basement. I have quick detachable rings on my scopes and red dot sight. With not being able to get out to the range during winter I wanted to see what the point of impact was when changing from scope to scope or red dot. Plus I like to tinker. :D
Dr Stirrup Bumpers
Boo force 10 strings
Tom

Post by Tom »

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 pm
Not that these are bad ideas, completely to the contrary, but how often are you guys sighting in bows that need more than a couple clicks regardless of it being boresighted or not.

The only bow I have ever assembled and not had hit within 2 clicks at 15 yards was my Axe... And that's cause the scope rings wasn't in the rail properly. And I will say that going from Excal to TT trigger usually makes the scope point down slightly.

I see all the benifits of it, and the fun in tinkering, but is it nessecary? No flaming here, just a question for your findings
I agree with jansey above. Most scopes will be very close and only need a few clicks one way or the other at 15-20 yards.

For the members that don't already have a bore site device, if you want to bore site, a standard lazer toy will work fine. Place the device under the string to hold it firmly, rotate it in a circle to see if the dot wonders. Even if it does, it will be only a little bit, adjust in your mind to center the crosshairs. Bingo, you will be within a few clicks either way.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Tom and I had the same idea. As long as the laser toy is close to the same diameter as your arrow, it will point to a spot awfully close to where the arrow should land.

My problem with this approach is the darned battery. I used the laser so infrequently that it was ages before I found out that it had leaked and ruined the laser. Lesson learned--take out the darned battery after using, and go cheap with the laser. You might forget or get lazy about removing the battery.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I've owned and scoped many excalibur bows and basically all were shooting within 6 inches of bullseye at 10 yards less than 3 shots later they were pretty much dead on at 20 with a few knob turns it cant hurt to check with a bore site if you need to.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.