Bore Sighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Bore Sighting

Post by W.Miguire » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Just wondering if anyone uses a bore sighter? I was fooling around with one and it worked just fine . of course it is only good for close range but it gets you close to center with no guessing. the one I used is made by Laserlyte.

bigbowman

Re: Bore Sighting

Post by bigbowman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 pm

I bought a Firefield Crossbow Laser Sighting Tool to sight my bows in. It attaches to an arrow. I cock the bow and load a arrow with the bore sight attached. I put a target up at 20yds in my upstairs where I have enough room. I get my scopes dead on! When I take them outside to fine tune it at a target, I only have a few clicks either way at the most! Definitely saves time and wear n tear on the bow! Good luck!

Matrix 355
Hawke XB1 1.5-5×32 SR Scope
18” Zombie Slayer Arrows
Muzzy HB Ti Broadheads
Micro Axe 340
TrophyRidge XV525IR Scope
16.5” Zombie Slayer Arrows
NAP DoubleCross Broadheads

curious

Post by curious » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Image[/img]
I machined a piece of stainless steel the same diameter as my arrows and reamed a nice slide fit hole to take my laser boresighter I just slip it under the string on the rail and put the laser dot on the target then adjust the scope crosshairs to the centre of the dot. I am within a couple of clicks st 20 yards.
Micro Axe 340 Kryptek Raid
BEE'S 400 grains with ignitor lighted nocks
Boo force 10 string

curious

Post by curious » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:25 pm

I guess my pictures didn't attach sorry
Boo force 10 string

curious

Post by curious » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Image[/img]
Boo force 10 string

curious

Post by curious » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Boo force 10 string

curious

Post by curious » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Boo force 10 string

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 pm

I shoot my first shot at 5 yards, from a bench, then move scope to arrow. I’m ready to go to 20 yards then. :thumbup:
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

janesy

Post by janesy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 pm

Not that these are bad ideas, completely to the contrary, but how often are you guys sighting in bows that need more than a couple clicks regardless of it being boresighted or not.

The only bow I have ever assembled and not had hit within 2 clicks at 15 yards was my Axe... And that's cause the scope rings wasn't in the rail properly. And I will say that going from Excal to TT trigger usually makes the scope point down slightly.

I see all the benifits of it, and the fun in tinkering, but is it nessecary? No flaming here, just a question for your findings
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Xtra Micro BD310 "Small-Fry"
Micro Axe MOBU.

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Never counted but I’m thinking you’re close Chris. Maybe with a scope change out a few clicks but again not many. :eusa-popcorn:
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:17 pm

I find it gets you real close but you must load a arrow because you get a diff. point of aim with it uncocked there is a lot of stress on the trigger.
W.M.

curious

Post by curious » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:49 am

For me it's not that it's difficult to sight in the bow with a scope. I came up with this to quickly set up a second scope and my red dot for my Axe in my basement. I have quick detachable rings on my scopes and red dot sight. With not being able to get out to the range during winter I wanted to see what the point of impact was when changing from scope to scope or red dot. Plus I like to tinker. :D
Boo force 10 string

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 am

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 pm
Not that these are bad ideas, completely to the contrary, but how often are you guys sighting in bows that need more than a couple clicks regardless of it being boresighted or not.

The only bow I have ever assembled and not had hit within 2 clicks at 15 yards was my Axe... And that's cause the scope rings wasn't in the rail properly. And I will say that going from Excal to TT trigger usually makes the scope point down slightly.

I see all the benifits of it, and the fun in tinkering, but is it nessecary? No flaming here, just a question for your findings
I agree with jansey above. Most scopes will be very close and only need a few clicks one way or the other at 15-20 yards.

For the members that don't already have a bore site device, if you want to bore site, a standard lazer toy will work fine. Place the device under the string to hold it firmly, rotate it in a circle to see if the dot wonders. Even if it does, it will be only a little bit, adjust in your mind to center the crosshairs. Bingo, you will be within a few clicks either way.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]

Hi5

Post by Hi5 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Tom and I had the same idea. As long as the laser toy is close to the same diameter as your arrow, it will point to a spot awfully close to where the arrow should land.

My problem with this approach is the darned battery. I used the laser so infrequently that it was ages before I found out that it had leaked and ruined the laser. Lesson learned--take out the darned battery after using, and go cheap with the laser. You might forget or get lazy about removing the battery.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm

I've owned and scoped many excalibur bows and basically all were shooting within 6 inches of bullseye at 10 yards less than 3 shots later they were pretty much dead on at 20 with a few knob turns it cant hurt to check with a bore site if you need to.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 nikon bolt /vixen ll / offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/Phoenix/ trigger tec's /xacts/super freak ex's/ spitfires/zombies