Sloppy Sunday Fun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Sloppy Sunday Fun

Post by Species8472 »

Headed out Sunday for a little fishing action. Didn't get a super early start - probably had something to do with a bottle of Forty Creek the night before. Managed to get going about 10am and trail and ice travel made it a little past 11 am before i wet a line.

First spot i set up was dead dead. Stayed there until about 2pm and finally got sick of nothing so packed up and headed 15 km further down the lake to a location about 200 yards out from the mouth of a secluded decent size creek. My original plan had been to head there first but the sleep-in combined with copious slush fields made me a little paranoid. Being solo with a heavy sled the last thing i wanted was to get stuck (although i have screw in anchors, straps and a come along in the toboggan at all times - still not fun).

I should of went to the planned spot right away. 30 seconds after wetting my line i lost something (probs a perch or small eye) half way up on the retrieve. So progressed the rest of the afternoon. Non-stop - no time or need to put in a second deadstick hole. In 2 hours i landed 8 eyes in the 12 to 16 inch range and perhaps a dozen perch (kept the 8 biggest for a fry up). Lost at least as many as i landed. Ran out of minnows at 5 pm.

Tackle consisted of a Little Cleo tipped with 3 inch shiners. Never tried anything else as they started hitting that right away and didn't stop until my minnows were gone. Once out of minnows i packed it in as riding in the slush in the dark is something i try to avoid.

Average afternoon perch (this guy was 11 inches):

Average afternoon eye:

The hot spot:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
grouse

Re: Sloppy Sunday Fun

Post by grouse »

I'm jealous! We seldom get ice thick enough to fish around here. I've been daydreaming about the trip I'll be taking to lake Erie for walleye this coming May. Fresh walleye or perch would taste fantastic right now.
axiom
350 SE
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Sweet!!!

Zero ice here in Lake St Clair! :(

I'm itching to get jigging in the "D" !!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thumb looks good after nearly loosing it!
Fish looks awesome too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Normous wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm
Thumb looks good after nearly loosing it!
Fish looks awesome too.
Haha! Yeah healed up pretty well. Still doesn't have full feeling but recovered 100% of "pinch strength." Torsional strength (opening jars) is only about 50% - but i can live with that.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
janesy

Post by janesy »

Forty ! That stuff gets me everytime!

Nice haul, my side of Simcoe is froze and the huts are out. Sleds dropping through left right and center on the west side, but that's normal for this time of year
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Nice looks like a fun day on the ice !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Looks like fun....no ice here....at all
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I share your dislike of playing in slush, in the dark or full daylight.

Your toboggan reminds me of an earlier version I had. Light, pulls easy, but fills up nicely with slush . The one I use now looks like a coffin, but the cover stops a guy from loading up with slush. It's ugly, but I like it.

Dang it. Now you remind me of a time when my son's snowmobile broke down. We put it in my open toboggan. Two guys sat on my son's snowmobile and my son sat on the back of mine. We had to go though a patch of slush, and I pinned it. My boy was watching behind us and he said it was a wall of water and snow flying out back, and he couldn't see the two guys till we got all the way through the slush. It was -30 out so they actually didn't get wet because it froze right away on their clothes. Thankfully we had only a mile or so to go till we got to our trucks.

The guys didn't seem to accept my apology and explanation. After all, if I slowed down we would all have got wet and would have had to fight our load out of slush. I don't know, maybe it had something to do with how hard I was laughing.

Good catch. Sorry to highjack with my reminiscences.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.