O/T turkey gun ready to shoot.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

O/T turkey gun ready to shoot.

Post by xcaliber »

I got the sights set close for a short shot to start the process. I decided to get a few chokes to try, and thought what the heck, might as well get a choke to try rifled slugs too! Hoping in the next few weeks to get out & dial her in. Going to start with slugs at 10 yards, then out to 50 yards. Go back to 10 yards & see where the turkey loads hit. I'll log the adjustment & directions if I have to adjust from slugs to shot, which I most likely will. I have never done this exercise as I always rifled barreled shotguns & sabots, never fired a slug in a smooth bore. If I don't like the accuracy at 50 yards, I won't hunt deer with her. The fit & finish is much better than I expected for a shotgun under $200. new. I topped it off with a Burris Fast Fire 2 as the main game is turkey with this single shot break action 20 gauge.

Image[url=https://postimg.cc/cKyKjvjn]Image

Image[url=https://postimg.cc/BLJjSdJZ]Image

Image[url=https://postimg.cc/xNCqHMkW]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Re: O/T turkey gun ready to shoot.

Post by janesy »

Nice setup Dan, interested to see how she patterns
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

What choke and slug combo are you trying?
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Nice gun Dan! Good luck with it!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Me too! I'll post a follow up, hopefully soon. The trigger is pretty good for a gun I bought to abuse too. For slugs I'm going to try Winchester Super X 3/4 oz. Rifled Slugs.
For the big chickens I got three different loads to try, Federal Third Degree, it's the highest priced, and I bought a TSS choke from Trulock for this ammo, but can also use with the other two. This shot is a mixture of 5,6, &7 shot, 3" shells.

Federal Grand Slam in 3" shells, #5 shot.
Winchester XR 3" shells in #5 shot.

We'll get set between these. I have three choke tubes to try, one is a Carlson's XR, the other is an EF that came with the gun. I think the bores are .545" / .555" / .568"
:thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks Brian. Can't wait to get all my physical stuff done, & better weather. I'm ready for some trigger time! :crazy:
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:04 pm
Me too! I'll post a follow up, hopefully soon. The trigger is pretty good for a gun I bought to abuse too. For slugs I'm going to try Winchester Super X 3/4 oz. Rifled Slugs.
For the big chickens I got three different loads to try, Federal Third Degree, it's the highest priced, and I bought a TSS choke from Trulock for this ammo, but can also use with the other two. This shot is a mixture of 5,6, &7 shot, 3" shells.

Federal Grand Slam in 3" shells, #5 shot.
Winchester XR 3" shells in #5 shot.

We'll get set between these. I have three choke tubes to try, one is a Carlson's XR, the other is an EF that came with the gun. I think the bores are .545" / .555" / .568"
:thumbup:
Cool, I've had pretty good success with win Super X in 12G. I shoot 2 3/4 from my 23" supermag barrel using an extended mod choke. Just a plain simple slug. I found the slower 2.75 grouped better than the 3".
And by group I mean M-of-pie plate
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
artifact

Post by artifact »

If you aren't satisfied with the way it shoots rifled slugs, there may be another option if available. I have a Browning A-bolt shotgun with the rifled choke tube, that gun will cloverleaf lightfield saboted slugs @ 100 yds.
Just something to keep in mind.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice gun dan.
I have never shot a better Turkey load in my 10 guage or 12 better than the hevishot 4 5 and 6 shot blend that they make when l used to shotgun for them cant speak for the 20 but the hevishot is worth the extra money in my opinion.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

If you are looking for ready made tss loads alot of guys atre liking them from Tommy at Fox Trot Ammunition ! He is one of the handloaders that decided to sell more than just the shot and recipes.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks you guys. I’m going to try the turkey loads I have since I have over a hundred rounds, but I have time to try others if I don’t get the results I’m looking for. Need some good weather now! :eusa-popcorn:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:16 pm
Thanks you guys. I’m going to try the turkey loads I have since I have over a hundred rounds, but I have time to try others if I don’t get the results I’m looking for. Need some good weather now! :eusa-popcorn:
Its 71 deg. here in north Texas today. Bring the beast south! :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m packing up! :lol: :lol:

Wish I could head down there, enjoy the nice weather! 8)
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Nice looking rig. You might want to get a couple boxes cheap dove loads to get you close when sighting her in. Those heavy loads are going to punish you with that light of a gun. Then again you might like the punishment :wtf: I did when I was younger, NOT anymore.