mechanical broad heads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: mechanical broad heads

Post by SEW »

Entrance hole with TruGlo 100g 4-blade expandible.

Exit hole

Broadheads

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That’s impressive, no arguing with that! I’m all in with the Swat heads but have yet to poke anything!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I use Muzzy HB Ti broadhead which is almost like that head. The muzzy has 2 fixed jagged edge bleeder blades with 2 mechanical blades. Devastating and deadly! My second season and they haven’t failed yet!

Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ohhhh no!!!! a broadhead pissing contest this forum is getting like the fishing one l spoke of. Lol.
This is a full on battle
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm
Ohhhh no!!!! a broadhead pissing contest this forum is getting like the fishing one l spoke of. Lol.
This is a full on battle
Nope! Just posted what I’ve been using is all. I don’t care what others use. It’s about as personal as the type of crossbows that people like. Use what works or has worked for you. 👍
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

SWAT X MAG exit. Witnessed buy a forum member.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Ya gotta admit it...that's a NASTY looking hole in that carcass!!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am
Just an FYI, NAP is no longer in Illinois. They were sold to GSM and are now being made in China.
Actually they moved to Taiwan. Close enough to China I guess.

I have always used NAP Spitfires.
They have never let me down...

Until this past fall. I ordered two boxes of them. One was made in the US, the other in Taiwan.
Decided to try one of the Taiwan versions out.
Long story short, a blade (maybe two?) opened as the arrow left the rail.
That caused the arrow to fly up and over the rear quarters of a large dry doe, and smoke a tree at knee level about 8 feet behind her.
At 25 yards. :shock:

I left a rather snarky message with NAP, to which they did not respond.

All of my Big John LimiZombies are dressed for a 125 grain head.
I have enough of the rebuild kits to keep the US version rolling for a good spell.
Once I run out of either, I'll be looking at a different set-up, and contacting Normous to see what he can do for me with the SWATS.

Just this man's experience...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like trying new broadheads so many to choose from.
When l started bowhunting l bet there were less than 25 popular choices.
I remember when muzzy came out. And the rocky mountain broadheads .
Satalite and wasp were the only replaceable heads at the time.
If we were having a older broadhead pissing contest l could lie and say the bear razor head .....that was before my days. Lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My first bow kill was with a 125gr Satellite Mag on a Easton 2413 arrow fletched with feathers 33 seasons ago with a $99 Kmart bow. That brings back memories.

It almost sounds like the OP's mechanical head didn't open, but that's doubtful if it expired that quickly. It really depends on the specific mechanical head in use. Rear deploying tend to leave good entry holes, but I've also got great entry holes on many fold back style heads. If you use stronger bands, or double-band, then it is possible that the fold back style may not fully deploy until after it passes the skin. That would cause a smaller entrance, but the exit should be normal size.

Then I wonder if it was a new head. I noticed on the original Rage 3-blade that they deployed so hard with my ExoMax that the hardened blade caused a dent in the groove where each blade slides back to a stop on the aluminum ferrule. The blades would catch on the dent and not deploy fully if you attempted to shoot it again.

A little more info would be needed to come up with a better hypothesis, but its hard to argue with the results.

If you want to stroll down memory lane, think back about the early expandable heads on the market. I recall some that were horrible designs.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

IronNoggin wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:49 pm
bigbowman wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am
Just an FYI, NAP is no longer in Illinois. They were sold to GSM and are now being made in China.
Actually they moved to Taiwan. Close enough to China I guess.

I have always used NAP Spitfires.
They have never let me down...

Until this past fall. I ordered two boxes of them. One was made in the US, the other in Taiwan.
Decided to try one of the Taiwan versions out.
Long story short, a blade (maybe two?) opened as the arrow left the rail.
That caused the arrow to fly up and over the rear quarters of a large dry doe, and smoke a tree at knee level about 8 feet behind her.
At 25 yards. :shock:

I left a rather snarky message with NAP, to which they did not respond.

All of my Big John LimiZombies are dressed for a 125 grain head.
I have enough of the rebuild kits to keep the US version rolling for a good spell.
Once I run out of either, I'll be looking at a different set-up, and contacting Normous to see what he can do for me with the SWATS.

Just this man's experience...
Nog
....I have to check my supply of Spits I recently bought....bought 4 packages, opened 2....gonna check out the other two for loose wings....probably will still use since I use dental bands on them anyway!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

DuckHunt,
You are correct about some of the early, expandible versions. I shot and killed deer with the infamous Pucketts.

Concerning both fixed and expandible broadheads, there are many great ones and certainly, IMO, not any single one of them is best for all situations.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

SEW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:04 pm
DuckHunt,
I shot and killed deer with the infamous Pucketts.

I didn't think anyone would ever admit to that lol
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

SEW wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:04 pm
DuckHunt,
You are correct about some of the early, expandible versions. I shot and killed deer with the infamous Pucketts.
Thank you! That's exactly the one I was trying to think of yesterday, the Blood Trailer. Those were some puny blades. Fortunately for me and the deer, the only one of those I ever fired found a sapling in between us.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
LRMNUT

Post by LRMNUT »

LRMNUT wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:38 pm
Just shot my first deer with a crossbow Grizz 2 I was using mechanical broad heads they didn't seem to open up the way I had expected I have always shot fixed blades in my compound bow but decided to try these.I put a good hit on the deer had no trouble finding it, it went about 70 yards but the blood trail wasn't that good due to the entry and exit wound only being about the size of my finger. What do you guy shoot I went with the mechanical for better arrow flight.
Thanks
Lee
I was using brand new never shot before GRIM REAPER 100gr broad head they have no bands one blade was open when I retrieved the arrow I shot the deer broadside took out both lungs so a field point probably would have worked (not recommended) the entry and exit wound could both be filled with my finger so I'am not sure if the one blade opened till it passed thru and hit the ground. tried to add a pic showing the one blade open keep saying pic was to large.
GRZ2