New Xbows, BHs, scopes, etc

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

New Xbows, BHs, scopes, etc

Post by SEW »

I’m on 3 crossbow boards: CT,CBN and Excal. There is a natural , common thread on the boards : the latest and greatest.
The Excalibur board seems to not participate quite as much concerning the latest and greatest. That’s good!

With crossbows approaching $3,000 US$, and seeing that some users have a new model(s) each year and then extolling its(their) virtues each new model, it seems that this is akin to an addiction. Addictions can cause tremendous problems in life. Addictive behavior can occur in every arena of life: shopping, new cars/trucks, occupation - I left the USAF after 10 years because flying had consumed my life and I wanted to save my marriage, hobbies, sports, and crossbows/accessories, etc..

“Be aware of the man who owns 1 gun. He likely knows how to use it”. It’s my intense conviction that most of us would be well and better served to have 1 primary bow and maybe an or near identical backup bow, arrows, broadheads, scope and use this setup for years until there’s a significant reason to upgrade, if such time comes.
Really have an optimized setup and then optimize yourself to its usage.

This approach won’t help the crossbow industry but will likely help each of us in every aspect of our hunting and personal life, not the least of which is the bank account.
Timbrhuntr

Re: New Xbows, BHs, scopes, etc

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I worked with a guy and we called him the ultimate consumer ! He tried every fad there was and would get all the best gear. Then 6 months to a year later he was on to something else and sold his stuff at a good price. I tried to talk him into hunting figuring I would be in line for some top gear in a year but he couldn't bring himself to hunt. Another buddy was better and got him into shooting at a range just target stuff and well he made out great at the after fad sale lol
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

SEW wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 am
I’m on 3 crossbow boards: CT,CBN and Excal. There is a natural , common thread on the boards : the latest and greatest.
The Excalibur board seems to not participate quite as much concerning the latest and greatest. That’s good!

With crossbows approaching $3,000 US$, and seeing that some users have a new model(s) each year and then extolling its(their) virtues each new model, it seems that this is akin to an addiction. Addictions can cause tremendous problems in life. Addictive behavior can occur in every arena of life: shopping, new cars/trucks, occupation - I left the USAF after 10 years because flying had consumed my life and I wanted to save my marriage, hobbies, sports, and crossbows/accessories, etc..

“Be aware of the man who owns 1 gun. He likely knows how to use it”. It’s my intense conviction that most of us would be well and better served to have 1 primary bow and maybe an or near identical backup bow, arrows, broadheads, scope and use this setup for years until there’s a significant reason to upgrade, if such time comes.

This approach won’t help the crossbow industry but will likely help each of us in every aspect of our hunting and personal life, not the least of which is the bank account.
.....Amen Steve....my sentiments exactly!....Madison Avenue knows exactly what it is doing....enticing us into clouding the line between "wants" and "needs." I think if many of us were honest and went into our basement/shed/man cave and looked around at some of the gear/gadgets that are cluttering said space....we would looked around and say, "what was I thinking of when I bought this!" :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:
Last edited by amythntr on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am
SEW wrote:

.....Amen Steve....my sentiments exactly!....Madison Avenue knows exactly what it is doing....enticing us into clouding the line between "wants" and "needs." I think if many of us were honest and went into our basement/shed/man cave and looked around at some of the gear/gadgets that are cluttering said space....we would say, "what in the world was I thinking of when I bought this!" :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am
SEW wrote:

.....Amen Steve....my sentiments exactly!....Madison Avenue knows exactly what it is doing....enticing us into clouding the line between "wants" and "needs." I think if many of us were honest and went into our basement/shed/man cave and looked around at some of the gear/gadgets that are cluttering said space....we would looked around and say, "what was I thinking of when I bought this!" :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:

I couldn’t agree more!!
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....the proof of what Steve said is found in the "trading post!" :( :eusa-think:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Thank-you for posting this!! I can definately relate!! Lol

What helped me to not impulse buy big ticket items is to make myself think about it for while before hitting that buy button. I have been talking myself out of new bows for a few seasons now and that's a record for me!

As I age I also want to hunt more and in different parts of the world. Those trips are not cheap. ;)

I really like this slogan and it's so true!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I like your slogan!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Guilty! :roll:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep its getting crazy.....l still get a kick out of banging geese outta the sky with my 400 dollar 30 year old Remington 1100 ... as my buddy cant hit nothing with his 1700.00 dollar custom benelli lololol. Money cant fix being a lousy shot. !
Crossbows /guns /fishing rods ...money isnt everything
I didn't marry money but l guess l still feel rich with the old gal.. she's like an old carved limb model with aches n pains .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

It isn't better equipment that makes hunters more successful. Most of the deer killed by bow or firearm hunters could have been killed with inexpensive guns or bows just as easily. Strategy, tactics, location plus hard work and effort put more meat into the freezer than the latest rifle or crossbow. I have an axiom and a 350 SE. I haven't killed a deer with the 350 yet that I couldn't have just as easily killed with the axiom. I mainly bought the 350 to be sure I have a backup and to lend to friends who want to try crossbow hunting. The axiom has all of the capability I really need.
axiom
350 SE
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

SEW wrote:
“Be aware of the man who owns 1 BOW. He likely knows how to use it”.
Yep. I still have to collect a spare set of limbs (back-up), but the Matrix 380 is all I will ever need IMHO.
And some suggest I might know a little of what I am doing with it... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My problem is that I enjoy setting up bows, guns, etc. I don’t think I spend too much on other stuff, but my Wife would say otherwise. I have several guns that I do hunt with, and four crossbows that might thin to three. Guns are a bit different, I carry so I have a few depending on what I’m doing. My favorite carry is my PX4 Storm because of the weight and capacity, then my CZ’s are for home protection.

OK, I’m an addict! :eusa-think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm
My problem is that I enjoy setting up bows, guns, etc. I don’t think I spend too much on other stuff, but my Wife would say otherwise. I have several guns that I do hunt with, and four crossbows that might thin to three. Guns are a bit different, I carry so I have a few depending on what I’m doing. My favorite carry is my PX4 Storm because of the weight and capacity, then my CZ’s are for home protection.

OK, I’m an addict! :eusa-think:
.....I love my PX4 Storm in 9mm

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....it is hereby resolved that those who feel like addicts should immediately list their excess "wants" on the lead thread of "Giveaways from Members".....so that those who are in "need" of equipment can obtain equipment to satisfy said need! :eusa-dance: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings