Salt on old wounds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Salt on old wounds

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/PLNtR10x]Image
About ten years ago when l was only hunting with my longbow around Halloween l shot this giant buck with my longbow.
I had really good blood looks like l only damaged one lung .lt was a severe angling away shot.
Anyway l looked and looked never found the buck.
My friend tom that hunts with me killed it during winter bow with a crossbow it was kinda thin but definitely alive. Had my simmons interceptor broken off inside.
I was glad for him he is a great hunter but today l was working at his house and just seeing the giant stirred up many memories of sleepless nights.
I have been blessed with many nice bucks since then l
Got a nice 14 point a few years back but not nearly as majestic as this big boy. Ohhh it still hurts when you loose a buck of a lifetime.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
papa bear1

Re: Salt on old wounds

Post by papa bear1 »

L.B.J. that sure enough is a great buck, :thumbup:
I feel your pain , I have let one get away from me on 2 occasions,
it hurts to think back on them, but at least I had the chances,
didn't have trail cameras, or cell phones back then,
but I have the pictures in my mind,i'll live with that.
and it made me a better hunter knowing what not to do next time. :D

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yea dave l like to think everything happens for a reason after that my shoulder got hurt and now here we are with the crossbow it's not bad at all .l enjoy my friends here and my excalibur crossbows .Hunting has brought me a lot of joy in life I'm over it now life is just too short . I'm glad l got to hunt him.
My friend has his share of problems in life and has put his time in im glad he got him instead of anyone else
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

That is an excellent buck!!
...and now you know the rest of the story. I took a shot at a really big buck 2-3 years ago and couldn't believe I missed. I looked for blood and the buck didn't run like he'd been hit. I looked and looked but never found him. So I don't know what happened to him. I think that's worse than having a friend pinch hit for you. My 2 cents...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hey LBJ...
Most of you know I shot a nice buck that I didn't find. Found my arrow with the broadhead missing, snapped off at the threads. Insert was all busted up. My son-in-law and I looked for that buck for 2 days, for as much as 5 hours at a time. I was absolutely sick. I played the shot over in my mind at least a thousand times. Nothing ever changed, it just added to my regret, and my doubt.
Then in late December of '19 I had the "missing buck" back on camera at a feeder. The guy has a large scar on his left front shoulder. Doesn't look any worse for the wear. Doesn't even walk with a limp. He's been back a number of times. All late at night or very early in the morning.
I'm always glad to see him on camera.

I went out and filled feeders yesterday. I looked out into the woods and made myself a promise. If the Good Lord sees fit to let me enjoy another season, I plan on making the most out of every moment I have. Time is the shortest and most precious commodity we are given. We only get so may trips around the sun before our hour glass runs out of sand. Savor the moments, both good and bad, for they are what makes us who we are.

Just my humble opinion...
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Well said.AJ.. honestly for our area the buck is basically as big as they come so l guess if l got him it would have been a huge disappointment in future hunting seasons.....at least that's what l tell myself.
I have had many friends and family die on me recently along with other things that let me know that other things in life are more important like you said.
Yes l hope I'm here this time next year also that's what is important.