fixed or mechanical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cardinalsfanforever

fixed or mechanical

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

best broadhead for older, slower, crossbows. axiom or exocet, does it take more energy for mechanical?
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Carnivorous

Re: fixed or mechanical

Post by Carnivorous »

Fixed.
Slick trick viper trick or QAD exodus. And you can practise with them so you know your exact POI for all your hunting arrows..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 am
best broadhead for older, slower, crossbows. axiom or exocet, does it take more energy for mechanical?
Yes, it takes energy from the arrow to open the blades. A fixed blade in my opinion is always a safe bet, however your bows are still moving at +300fps. If you did want to use mechanical, a smaller mechanical would work fine. The excalibur X-act would be a great start. Many have done it and with great results.

Personally, I'd go with one of Jeff's suggestions possibly adding the WASP drone as a third option
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The vixen 2 is as slow as they come and l have shot spitfires,xact, lazer strike 2,xact cut with full penetration.
The swhacker is the only head that l tried that l felt robbed energy from the bow resulting in a kill but not a pass thru.
Keep in mind that a "slow" vixen 2 is still as fast as a decent compound bow.
I'm thinking of trying the magnus black hornet with the vixen next year but it's not from a lack of penetration just
Because l want to try them.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
SEW

Post by SEW »

The TruGlo Titanium 100g 4-blade expandible is about as perfect of a broad head as I’ve ever encountered. Very low energy required. Massive holes. The 150g Crossbow Trick is a great fixed blade.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 am
Fixed.
Slick trick viper trick or QAD exodus. And you can practise with them so you know your exact POI for all your hunting arrows..
Do you find the blades get dull if you practice with them?
I retire my slick tricks I've shot deer with and use those for practise/sight in and then put the exact same new broadhead on for hunting season so they're nice and sharp...
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

That’s the thing... I shot compounds for years at around 265 FPS with 425 grain arrows. Mechanical broadheads always worked perfect. No reason the Vixen II and up should have any issues with mechanicals.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Ontario Savage wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Fixed.
I retire my slick tricks I've shot deer with and use those for practise/sight in and then put the exact same new broadhead on for hunting season so they're nice and sharp...
One thing with Slick Tricks is that due to the way they assemble you need to verify that they spin good on a spin tester. You can put them on and have them not spin good, then simply loosen and adjust the washer a bit and get it to spin perfectly.

I do like you and sight in with older ones, but then even after I swap blades, and spin check, I do shoot them a few times into a foam target just to be sure. No issues with cut or penetration and good piece of mind. If they don't spin perfect you could be off 4" or more at 30yds
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Ontario Savage wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Fixed.
No dull blades after a few shots. The QAD exodus are my number one pick due to their durability!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.