Re: O/T. Eagles and lead poisoning

Post by Fazan »

Nice.
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:30 pm
Hey Grouse....I've got some "points" that are so small, you'd think they were just a flake off of a piece of flint. Normally these are referred to as "bird points".
I've actually got a ton of stuff that I have found and then added more that I got from my late father-in-law. He started collecting in 1940.

My wife said to "thin things down"!!! :lol:

This was a war club head that was found about 20 miles from where I now live.

It is very well formed and highly worked. Being from area it's probably Caddo.

I know one thing for dang sure. I wouldn't want that little jewel striking my melon!! I bet it would leave one heck of a mark!!
I have several more, but they are in the typical "hammer" shape, and are made from a darker stone. This is my best one!!

AJ
Great piece! I've never found anything remotely as nice as that. My best luck finding artifacts is usually after our field is plowed (or the first rain thereafter). When I put on rubber boots and walk the fields, I usually find something. We'll probably have to no till this year because it has been so wet so don't expect my favorite conditions. A guy told me to go at night with a bright flashlight and the flint items are easier to spot. I've never tried it, but it sounds logical.
axiom
350 SE
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I read the intro, the first post.
I’m going on record to say SOUNDS LIKE BULLSHIT! Years ago it was eagles eating wounded ducks from lead shot. Ducks eating lead shot and dying. Now we have that great STEEL SHOT. Since DDT was banned the eagle population has skyrocketed in my 62 years. Here in New Brunswick growing up I rarely saw an eagle now I see them on every watershed.

Wayne
janesy

Post by janesy »

Starting a new thread to discuss lead free bullets.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:03 pm
I read the intro, the first post.
I’m going on record to say SOUNDS LIKE BULLSHIT! Years ago it was eagles eating wounded ducks from lead shot. Ducks eating lead shot and dying. Now we have that great STEEL SHOT. Since DDT was banned the eagle population has skyrocketed in my 62 years. Here in New Brunswick growing up I rarely saw an eagle now I see them on every watershed.

Wayne
Wayne,
I know duck and geese populations have exploded in recent years. I travel down to the rice paddies around El Campo and Eagle Lake here in Texas to goose hunt. I have seen 1st hand how things have improved. Bag limits on Snow Geese have skyrocketed. It's a great sight, and sound for that matter, to watch literally thousands of geese take flight early in the morning!!
And trust me, I am NO FAN of steel shot. :eusa-naughty: :thumbdown: :eusa-doh:
Was the steel shot responsible for the comeback? I don't think so. I do believe that we had more wounded ducks and geese at the first introduction of steel. :think:
I personally think it was securing wetlands and other habitat to create breeding grounds. Lowering bag limits on certain species. And just plan old education of hunters.
I believe that we, as hunters, have learned from past mistakes and have overcome the "shortcomings" of steel shot. I'm sure it (steel shot), will be coming for upland bird hunting before too long.

Now the Eagles!
When I was a kid here in East Texas (62 years ago), we NEVER saw Eagles!! NEVER!!! I was a grown man before I ever saw an Eagle in the wild, and that was in Colorado!! :lol:
Moving back to East Texas about 12 years ago, I was over at Lake Palestine fishing one day, and saw my 1st Eagle in East Texas. Since then I have seen probably over 100 different birds, in many different areas of East Texas. They seem to be almost every where these days. I sure see more of them than I do Great Horned Owls. And I'm out a lot at night coyote hunting. I've seen one Great Horned in the last 2 years.
I think, like you DDT was the main culprit in the downfall of Eagles. It hurt a lot of species (ducks and geese included). If we leave nature along, it will fix itself over time. Our problem is, we can't leave well enough alone!!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!