Lighted Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chilly_willy

Lighted Nocks

Post by chilly_willy »

I'm thinking about trying lighted nocks this crossbow season. I use Black Eagle arrows with an ID. of .300. How does one go about removing the aluminum flat nocks and what are the choices of lighted nocks to use? Also I am shooting a Matrix 330. Thanks Bill
hunter with MS

Re: Lighted Nocks

Post by hunter with MS »

I use nufletch ignitors . To remove the nocks that are on them now I took a field point and screwed it into the nock and heated just the field point and pulled the nock out by grabbing the field point with pliers this way it does not mess up the arrow. I have been buying my arrows which are Black Eagle with no nocks from Wyvern creations .
Normous

Post by Normous »

Once the nocks are out you may have to lightly " clean out" any internal glue residue for fitment , especially with tight fit Lumenoks.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Heating and then pulling out the flat nock can be extremely tricky!! Remember you're heating a piece of metal that's glued into a CARBON shaft!! It doesn't take much heat to damage the integrity of the carbon. :think:
You can take a metal rod, run it thru the front insert and try to "gently" knock the nock out by tapping on the metal rod you have inserted. Don't use a brass rod to dislodge the flat nock. The brass rod is too soft. It will just bend.
And if all of this fails, buy some arrows from Dave @ Wyvern's. He's a great guy to deal with and will make your bolts/arrows any way you want them.

Just my 2 cent worth!! :wave:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

you are right about the heat damaging the carbon shaft , I found if you use a wet cloth or paper towel and wrap it around the shaft when you are removing the insert you reduce the chance of damaging it. I have done this for a few tears and have not damaged any shaft front or rear. try it on a old shaft. I also use a soldering iron with a 8/32 screw with the head cut off to pull inserts and nocks from carbon shafts.
W.M.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

A few years back someone, and I can't remember who, actually made a device just like W.M. is talking about. It looked like a soldering Iron that had a tip that fit the 8/32 threads in the insert. I watched a video on it, but I don't think I'd put a whole lot of faith in it!
If I remember the thing sold for like $50 bucks.
If...you're a VERY patient and practical guy like W.M. is, then give it a try. But like the sage said, use an old arrow to practice with!!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

It works for me , and it only cost me 7.00 bucks. the trick is the wet paper towel . and I am changing and trying diff, inserts all the time with no problem at all . You have to get the iron hot before you insert it in the arrow or you will have a problem.
W.M.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I too use a long insert screwed in to the nock heated with a flame, like the idea of a wet rag around the shaft. clamp the insert in a small vise, holding a light pull on the shaft while heating, works great so far.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster