Crosswind Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Crosswind Question

Post by dithian »

Another question for the accuracy nuts/competitive target shooters, or anyone, really, with a crossbow and a computer: How much do you adjust your shot at, say, 40 yards with a gentle but steady cross breeze? My target range is situated where there's often a cross breeze, and I don't notice it much at 30 yards, but I've noticed that at 40 my groups list leftward a bit. But my accuracy at 40 yards isn't exactly what I'd call "laser" due to a combination of lack of practice and high octane caffeine intake. Both my crossbows are rated in the 330 fps range (haven't chronographed them, so I'm not sure of actual speed, but certainly a bit less). Sometimes I have wondered if I actually need to adjust the scope 1 click and I just don't notice it at 30 yards and less. I can't shoot the other direction to find out without imperiling life, limb and property, and I don't have space for 50+ yard shots. Just curious how much you all consider wind when you take a shot. Thoughts from the great opinionators, trigger-happy archers and semi-habitual liars among us?
Robinsons Rebel

Re: Crosswind Question

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I don't worry about a crosswind too much when I hunt. If the wind is too crazy then I probably shouldn't be hunting at that time. I would practice alittle more at 40 yards and fine tune it. My way of thinking is that if I know I'm on at 40 , if the wind could push it a few inches one way then I would still get a good hit. I still would only take a shot that you are comfortable with.But like I said, I don't hunt during bad windy weather. I've always worried when its raining that my rail fill with water and effect my arrow flight.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You're posing a rather difficult question to answer.
- Are you shooting of a bench and solid rest (not your elbows)?
- Are you using a wind meter?
My club gets pretty windy with gusting winds and I'm shooting out to 70 yards. I can be bang on or a couple inches to a foot out. Good luck playing. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

dithian wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 pm
Thoughts from the great opinionators, trigger-happy archers and semi-habitual liars among us?
I am not going to lie, but my FIRST ever deer shot with my 165 lb EXOCET back in 1994 that left me very much troubled after seeing firsthand what can go wrong during a long shot with a very strong stiff sidewind.

It was the last day of deer season on December 31 st. 1994 with 20 minutes of legal shooting light left . I noticed a doe deer was broadside at 49 yards.
Much , much further than my practice distance of 25 yards.

She was headed into a very strong headwind and I foolishly aimed one foot above her head and two feet in front of her nose and touched the trigger.

The arrow impact knocked he off her feet and backward, then she got up and ran into the woods. After a rather long track I found her dead with an arrow wound to the femoral artery in her rear hind quarter. She bled out and I got lucky with the major artery hit.

To my dismay, the arrow had drifted about 6 feet left in the strong wind at 49 y.

As a result, I made myself a better hunter and my longest shot since 1994 with a crossbow was last year in 2019 when I arrowed a buck at 33 yards in a no wind condition.

I very much doubt I will ever make the same mistake twice. It is just too risky the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

All l can say is that a compact expandable such as a xact cut or similar with a 110 grain insert will outgroup a broadhead such as a ramcat in the wind any day of the week .
I have done a lot of testing that said..l still wont shoot much over 30 yards on a really windy day regardless of fixed or expandable. Just as norm stated above.
A 125 grain with a 110 insert will group even better.
A 150 grain boltcutter with a 110 insert will shoot really good in the wind but will drop quite a bit obviously but l was amazed at the performance in the wind with that combo...and penetration
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am
All l can say is that a compact expandable such as a xact cut or similar with a 110 grain insert will outgroup a broadhead such as a ramcat in the wind any day of the week .
I have done a lot of testing that said..l still wont shoot much over 30 yards on a really windy day. Just a norm stated above.
A 125 grain with a 110 insert will group even better.
A 150 grain boltcutter with a 110 insert will shoot really good in the wind but will drop quite a bit obviously but l was amazed at the performance in the wind with that combo...and penetration
Yep, also I have noticed the faster bows show more variation while using large fixed heads than slower bows. :problem: Get as much FOC as possible if you're going to be hunting in windy conditions, that to me is step one!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!