O/T - The art of social distancing with style

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

O/T - The art of social distancing with style

Post by Species8472 »

Spent the weekend social distancing and self-isolating about 10 miles from the nearest other human.

The plan was to head up Saturday morning, stop at the cottage, pick up my gear and than fish Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. In the winter we use snowmobiles to access the cottage as the driveway is 2 miles long and it's just not worth keeping it open. Well made it 0.5 mile and came upon this:

So had to walk the remaining 1.5 miles in and back out with the chainsaw. By the time I finished the walking, got the saw running (it can be grumpy after sitting a while especially when it's cold) and got the tree out of the way i decided to change my plans and relax by the wood stove. Slept in until 9 so it was 1030 before i was out on the lake Sunday morning.

Day was absolutely gorgeous:

Home for the day:

Almost immediately i had a 10.5 and 11.5 inch perch:

Soon after those 2 I hooked what i thought was a decent size walleye as it was peeling line off my reel. I got it to the bottom of the hole and saw the biggest perch i have ever seen in my life. Sad to say at that point the spoon caught on the bottom edge of the hole and dislodged from the fish. After that it was quiet for about an hour and than i started catching 14 or 15 inch walleye regularly (8 total on the day):

At about 445 pm some bigger walleye moved in and started hammering my minnow tipped spoon. In 15 minutes i burned through 9 minnows but only managed to ice 3 of them. At this point i was out of minnows. 2 of the 3 were about 17 inches but the guy who inhaled my second last minnow was the prize - he was 18.5 and came home with me:

So day's total was 2 perch and 11 walleye of which I kept the perch and the 18.5 inch walleye, The rest went back to fatten up for a season or two. One last thing - I really need to stud the track on my snowmobile - sliding all over the place on the ice. Some scratchers as well as i would ride 2km and than stop for 10 minutes to let the sliders cool. Turned 12 km on the ice into an hour long ride.

Next episode of self-isolation will involve chasing brook trout and lake trout on the ice (ice is 26 inches thick right now) - stay tuned.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
xcaliber

Re: O/T - The art of social distancing with style

Post by xcaliber »

Looks like a bit of solitude was just what you needed. Stay away from the masses, they're after our asses!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

That's the sort of quarantine punishment that I think I could endure. Maybe even three weeks.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wish I was in such a place.
I'm off work with 3 broken ribs and not doing much at all.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normous wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm
Ouch! Get well soon Norm.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm
Did the Mrs. finally catch you??? I told you not to mouth where she could hear ya!!! :lol:
Get well soon!!!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Species8472 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Spent the weekend social distancing and self-isolating about 10 miles from the nearest other human.

So day's total was 2 perch and 11 walleye of which I kept the perch and the 18.5 inch walleye, The rest went back to fatten up for a season or two.
Next episode of self-isolation will involve chasing brook trout and lake trout on the ice (ice is 26 inches thick right now) - stay tuned.
I'm extremely jealous of your "self-isolating"!!! I hope ya had a great time. :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My kind of self isolation ! Enjoy !