Multiple crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

User avatar
Robinsons Rebel
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:48 pm
Location: Denham Springs,Louisiana

Multiple crossbows

Post by Robinsons Rebel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm

I love my Grizzly that I have. One day I might upgrade to a higher priced Excalibur but it will leave me with a problem. For those that have multiple Excaliburs, how do you decide which one to use hunting? I would be like a kid in a candy store not knowing what to eat first.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. X-Act broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber

User avatar
bigbowman
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 am
Location: Ripon, WI

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by bigbowman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:53 pm

I alternate every week with my bows. Easy to use them both. Good luck!
Mission MXB 360
Trophy Ridge XV530IR Scope
22” BE Executioner Arrows
RaptorTrick Broadheads

Micro 335 Nightmare
Trophy Ridge XV530IR Scope
16.5” Zombie Slayer Arrows
Muzzy HB Ti Broadheads

xcaliber
Posts: 10597
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by xcaliber » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Every year that I can hunt it usually ends up being the new one, and all the other ones become number 2. Sort of like when I was young and looking for a date, had the number one on speed dial, and that was it! :lol: :lol:

No, really it's like this for me, newest is number 1, and then the next newest. :eusa-liar:

No wait, it's always the newest, then my Matrix 380, heck take the fastest you got as number 2. :eusa-think:

No, wait, you take the newest, then the one closest that uses the same arrows! :crazy:

Heck I don't know! :lol: :lol:

LBJ would know, Boo, Jeff, scratch that last one, Janesy, ............. :lol: :lol:
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

User avatar
DuckHunt
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by DuckHunt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:27 pm

I was OK when I got my Micro 335 because I let my daughter start using my ExoMax and she's killed a few deer with it. Then WV allowed crossbows for all, but no Micro because arrows had to be 18" (16" starting in the 2020 season). So I picked up the Matrix 350LE. I alternated with the Matrix and Micro but it seemed the Matrix was always in my hands when it counted. I ended up harvesting two 8pts with it. I finished up the season with my Micro taking a doe with it.

Then the Micro 400 TD happened. Its full camo, a Micro and 400fps. What's not to love? I'm sure it will get first dibs next season until I draw blood with it. I'll likely tote it more during buck season as well with some gaudy big 4-blade expandables. Might as well put that power to use.

I may ease the selection burden by letting my daughter start carrying the Matrix 350 LE. Without a doubt, its the smoothest drawing sweetest shooting bow in my stable. It would be a great upgrade from the ExoMax. If I can convince my son-in-law to hang up the vertical bow for a bit, they may all see concurrent time in the stand next season.
2020 Micro Suppressor 400TD / 2018 Matrix 350 SE / 2015 Micro 335 (Gen 1) / 2006 Exomax 350

Normous
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario.

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by Normous » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:39 pm

I have owned many Excalibur Exo, Matrix and Micro series bows since 1991 ( liked them all), and to be honest I always opted for the fastest shooting one over the past many hunting years.
Never been a fan of multi reticle or dot scopes either. My preference is to hunt better, get closer and put the dot or crosshair smack dab in the middle of the boiler room and collect your family dinner.
My 2 cents.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>---------> 2020
Kustom Krug Micro 355, Matrix 355 and NEMESIS
LEUPOLD VX-R 2-7, TRIJICON SRO Optics
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Nature Is My Nurse

longbow joe
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm
Location: south eastern pa (bucks county)

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by longbow joe » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:35 pm

I have 17 bass ,pike and walleye rods also...never had a problem using all of them.
I think l got it from my grandfather...he bought multiple hunting and fishing impliments.
My other weakness is motorcycles but l can only afford a couple of em and they take up more room than a crossbow or fishing rod.
One thing for sure I'm glad l only have 2 daughters or we would be talking about multiple grey hairs instead of crossbows.
If you can afford multiple crossbows and they make you happy go for it life is too short.
As long as my Bill's are paid l feel no guilt. People spend thousands on dui fines and rehab so if crossbow shooting keeps you out of trouble it's worth every penny
You should consider purchasing a used matrix or exo bow on this forum or on local craigslist. You can get a great deal nowadays.
I love the older....models.
I'm now working on a perfect shape vortex l bought its gonna get the full monte. And even a new hha optimizer ...gonna try something new for me.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 nikon bolt /vixen ll / offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/Phoenix/ trigger tec's /xacts/super freak ex's/ spitfires/zombies

SEW
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:55 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by SEW » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 am

This is just for me and definitely not necessarily the answer for all others, but generally the ease of use (frequently smaller, lighter) and optics on the crossbow are the determiners.
I primarily hunt for larger deer which I normally encounter at late dusk. Optical quality is a factor at this time.

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12501
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by Boo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 am

I roll around on the ground and bark like a dog. When one of my dogs come to see me they tell me which one to take. Honest!

I have a 315 for the close stuff and I'll take anything in the 350 ft/sec range for everything else. I think you'd be well served to have a slow poke and the fastest you can easily afford. The can both act as backups to each other. So a man needs a minimum of 2 crossbows. That's the story I'm going with :eusa-dance:
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt

If you think there's a great conspiracy, there isn't other than the one running in circles in your head

User avatar
AJ01
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by AJ01 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 am

Boo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 am
I roll around on the ground and bark like a dog. When one of my dogs come to see me they tell me which one to take. Honest!

I have a 315 for the close stuff and I'll take anything in the 350 ft/sec range for everything else. I think you'd be well served to have a slow poke and the fastest you can easily afford. The can both act as backups to each other. So a man needs a minimum of 2 crossbows. That's the story I'm going with :eusa-dance:
Best case of self-justification I've ever seen!! :lol: I admire a wise man!!!
Leaves the wifey totally out of the equation!!!! :D
"No matter how big a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people"!! :eusa-deadhorse:
"Howdy" and Happy Hunting from the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!! :wave:
Micro Suppressor 355 :mrgreen:

flightattendant100
Posts: 4261
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by flightattendant100 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 am
Boo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 am
I roll around on the ground and bark like a dog. When one of my dogs come to see me they tell me which one to take. Honest!

I have a 315 for the close stuff and I'll take anything in the 350 ft/sec range for everything else. I think you'd be well served to have a slow poke and the fastest you can easily afford. The can both act as backups to each other. So a man needs a minimum of 2 crossbows. That's the story I'm going with :eusa-dance:
Best case of self-justification I've ever seen!! :lol: I admire a wise man!!!
Leaves the wifey totally out of the equation!!!! :D
AJ01, Don has been justifying, and justifying, and justifying for years! :lol:

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12501
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by Boo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:10 pm

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 am
Boo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:31 am
I roll around on the ground and bark like a dog. When one of my dogs come to see me they tell me which one to take. Honest!

I have a 315 for the close stuff and I'll take anything in the 350 ft/sec range for everything else. I think you'd be well served to have a slow poke and the fastest you can easily afford. The can both act as backups to each other. So a man needs a minimum of 2 crossbows. That's the story I'm going with :eusa-dance:
Best case of self-justification I've ever seen!! :lol: I admire a wise man!!!
Leaves the wifey totally out of the equation!!!! :D
AJ01, Don has been justifying, and justifying, and justifying for years! :lol:
Paul, its not justifying, it's keen negotiating ability. :eusa-dance:
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt

If you think there's a great conspiracy, there isn't other than the one running in circles in your head

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by janesy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 am

I'm back down to 3. Had 4 for a while. 3 is my comfort zone
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBU Micro BD345 "Greener"
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

xcaliber
Posts: 10597
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by xcaliber » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 am

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 am
I'm back down to 3. Had 4 for a while. 3 is my comfort zone
4 is better than 3! :lol: :lol: :eusa-snooty:
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

longbow joe
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm
Location: south eastern pa (bucks county)

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by longbow joe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:06 pm

I wonder how many my Marge thinks l have?
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 nikon bolt /vixen ll / offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/Phoenix/ trigger tec's /xacts/super freak ex's/ spitfires/zombies

mr meat
Posts: 4676
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: The land of ice and snow North Bay

Re: Multiple crossbows

Post by mr meat » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Mine knows the number I have as long as she can see and count :lol:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen

Post Reply