100% true story, I swear…

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

100% true story, I swear…

Post by dithian »

I was sitting in my blind yesterday, and this huge buck came sauntering out of the bushes, kind of slow and plodding. He walked right up to the blind, turned around, paced off 20 yards then turned broadside. He took out a Sharpie and drew an X right over his vitals, then looked up at me with a mournful kind of stare. He kept mumbling incoherently, something about "Aim for the heart…" and "I can't go on…" and "My best doe. My best friend…". I felt so bad for him, I just didn't know what to do. I couldn't take the shot. I stood up and said, "She's just a doe, man. There's a whole herd out there." But I knew to him she wasn't just a doe——we've all been there, right? Anyway, he eventually lost nerve and walked away.

We all pontificate about the various ethical dos and don'ts of hunting, but what about when a deer seems downright suicidal? Should we take the shot, or call a hotline? I mean, a buck stepping right up to the 20 yard mark and hanging out broadside for several minutes is just a little too textbook.
janesy

Re: 100% true story, I swear…

Post by janesy »

Ha, funny, last spring I had 2 suicidal turkey 1 day apart. Both busted me sneaking in on them and walked in to withing a couple yards to see what was making the noise.
LOL I missed the second one dead to rights.

Sometimes they are just asking you to do it
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I would assist the buck in his suicide,Fire up the grill and get out the garlic butter.
dithian

Post by dithian »

onebigskittle wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm
I would assist the buck in his suicide,Fire up the grill and get out the garlic butter.
I should have done just that. I was trying to hunt for pigs, who didn't show up, and I normally just take down does, but when the fates provide opportunity, you should take it. Lesson learned.
dithian

Post by dithian »

janesy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Sometimes they are just asking you to do it
You're right on the mark, as usual. I've been kicking myself repeatedly.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have shot a few at close range and sure enjoyed the sausage. The turkeys I have shot were all close less than 10 yrds. no remorse on my part.
W.M.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

dithian wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:20 pm
onebigskittle wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm
I should have done just that. I was trying to hunt for pigs, who didn't show up, and I normally just take down does, but when the fates provide opportunity, you should take it. Lesson learned.
Like you when I am hunting one animal I won't shoot another unless its a yote or a fox.