Mechanical head premature opening test (Graphic heavy)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Mechanical head premature opening test (Graphic heavy)

Post by nchunterkw »

doegirl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm sorry, but I don't think these tests prove a thing. The NAP Spitfire was tested with bows as little as 4lbs to ensure the broadhead will open. So what actually opened these broadheads, the inertia of the shot or, most likely, hitting the sheet of paper? The only way to be 100% sure is with slow motion footage.
These tests actually prove much. He is not testing to see if the blades open on impact, but rather to see if they open because of the very high instantaneous acceleration of a recurve crossbow. Inertia is a tendency for an arrow to fly straight at a given speed. It has nothing to do with this. These broadheads are designed to open upon impact with an animal. Not a piece of paper. If paper opened your blades then they would lilkey open with just a bump of loading them into your bow. No the paper did not open the blades.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Re: Mechanical head premature opening test (Graphic heavy)

Post by nchunterkw »

robertyb wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am
If you are shooting 30 yards or more and getting good accuracy with your broadheads and they are opening in flight then what is the problem? I had one that I suspected would open in flight and shot it at 30 yards anyway and it flew about 20" high over the top of the target. Now I suspect in that case only one blade opened which made it fly erratically but if both blades pop open in flight and the head flies true I would never know it had happened. I do now put either one or two dental bands over my blades depending on which bow I am shooting but I consider that to be extra insurance only.
I'm a fixed blade guy and this is encouraging to me. If an open mech head flies accurately from these very high poundage bows, then a quality fixed head should as well. Might have to rethink my "bow collection".
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><