OT/Burning wood

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: OT/Burning wood

Post by janesy »

grouse wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm
I'm surprised at how often burning maple is mentioned in this thread. Hard maple seems too valuable for its syrup and furniture applications to use as firewood. I would think it would be like we treat white oak around here. White oak burns and splits well, but it's too valuable for making barrel staves (for the wine and whiskey industries) to cut for firewood. I only cut it after storm damage or the remnants left from a timber harvest. We have a few sugar maples on my farm but I've never cut or sold one. Surprisingly, I did sell several 30" plus silver maples a few years ago, The logger said they were used for the wood pellet industry. I would expect them to burn like paper.
There are literally 100's of species of maple. All produce sap and can be made to syrup, but only a handful taste good and are worth anything. A mature small standing sugar bush could pretty much heat a house yearly with deadfall turnover alone.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Propane logs .....never got cut with a chainsaw yet.
Maby with a razor knife taking em out of the box.
It's been so darn warm here this winter l didn't use half a tank. ...Incredible.
But now all the savings are gone on money lost on the virus .......life is hard sometimes.
Used our beautiful soapstone wood stove for the last 7 years (since we bought this log home)
Now at 70, tiring of the work it takes to burn wood. Considering a propane “wood stove” to replace the soapstone as our backup heat is by FHW with propane anyway. Figure it would be easy peasy to start the stove, let it heat up the living area for a few hours, shut it off and head to the back master suite (at 62°F)
Then wake up and repeat as needed. We had a “warmer” winter than usual in central NH but not THAT much warmer.
Do you run your propane stove off of the main tank (s) or does it have its own tank and how many gallons is it?
And YES, our retirement savings has taken a huge hit as well...
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

When I was working on the farm the owner always burnt apple.had a never ending supply and a buddy used it in his shed 16x20.had a rack for inside the stove when it was just coals throw some venison on and oh so good :thumbup:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
munch

Post by munch »

I don’t burn it but cut a lot of wood I’ve cut 100 cord since Christmas.
One thing I suggest is buy a good saw I run a 372xp Husqvarna with a 24 “ bar because I’m 6’2” and saves a lot of bending .this saw will cut 3 cords per 2 tanks of fuel and you don’t need to push just lay it on the log and let it go . I touch up bar every time I fuel even if it’s only one stroke of the file I’ve learned chain is cheaper than fuel . Also with a 24” bar you have far more teeth cutting before you need to sharpen verses a 16 or18” bar another good saw is a johnsered I carry a 2255 on the timberjack just to trim tops and fine working saws .
I’ve used sthil before but for some reason I’m always hitting the kill switch shutting them off
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
janesy

Post by janesy »

munch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm
I don’t burn it but cut a lot of wood I’ve cut 100 cord since Christmas.
One thing I suggest is buy a good saw I run a 372xp Husqvarna with a 24 “ bar because I’m 6’2” and saves a lot of bending .this saw will cut 3 cords per 2 tanks of fuel and you don’t need to push just lay it on the log and let it go . I touch up bar every time I fuel even if it’s only one stroke of the file I’ve learned chain is cheaper than fuel . Also with a 24” bar you have far more teeth cutting before you need to sharpen verses a 16 or18” bar another good saw is a johnsered I carry a 2255 on the timberjack just to trim tops and fine working saws .
I’ve used sthil before but for some reason I’m always hitting the kill switch shutting them off
I'm the same about Huskie's great saws, but for some reason whenever I start one it rips the tops of my knuckles off, and that takes months to grow back.
Stihl fits me like a glove and the rope angle is different or something
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme