Fletching Bolts Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Fletching Bolts Questions

Post by CT.HNTR »

Seeing as I am stuck home for the next period of time I am going to take advantage and build some bolts for the fall. I was wondering what people find to be the best adhesive for fletching and do you also use an adhesion promoter to go along with the adhesive? I will be fletching Blazer vanes onto carbon shafts. Also what is the best shaft preparation?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Don
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Wyoming1

Re: Fletching Bolts Questions

Post by Wyoming1 »

Clean shafts and vane base with acetone,let dry and use gorilla blue cap glue ,they will stay. On.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Any "toughened" cyanoacrylate glue will work. Some are a little better than others. The best I've used is G5's glue but it isn't fantastically better than others. Lately I've been using Bob Smith Industries glue and am quite pleased with it. They even have a debonder! Haven't tried it yet and I don't want to unless I screw up and have to.
I've used Goat Tough, blue top Gorrilla glue, G5, Bob Smith Maxi-Cure, Bohning's Blazer Bond and a few others I forget. Next up is Bob Smith's
IC-2000 https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html
Like Wyoming said use acetone to clean. Full cure time on most cyanoacrylate glues is 24 hours. Moisture will accelerate the cure process.
I have tried adhesion promoters but I don't use them anymore because I don't think they are worth the trouble. I asked BSI if they had a promoter but they replied telling me to use a cyanoacrylate accelerator.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I built 55 dozen arrows in the last year and my go to fletching glue is Vibra-TITE 362 Instant Super Glue. It dries fast and clear.

Next, I may suggest giving your Blazers a light scuff with medium sandpaper before cleaning and next, DO NOT you let your finger tip skin oil spoil any cleaned finish.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My only prep is to clean the shaft with acetone and wipe the contact potion of the vane with acetone as well. Don't soak it, just wipe it for a few seconds. This removes any oils and softens it for adhesion. The last few years I've used assorted cyanoacrylate glues. Regardless of the brand of glue, none of them come off when applied this way. I sent one arrow through a 3/4" pine plank (accidentally) and the fletching went along for the ride.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Great advice. I also square my ends before installing inserts & nocks. I use AAE Fastset Gel. Unless you're making a lot, just get the smallest tube, .3 grams I think. If I just make a dozen it's more than enough, and I pitch the leftover glue when I'm done.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I've been using what Jerry from South Shore Archery uses on all of the arra's he makes for himself and his customers....I also use his recommended fletch cleaner....can't think of the name...not one fletch has come off since using it...go to SSA web site for the name of the adhesive and cleaner....

.....I just read Normous' post....I do believe that is the adhesive's name from SSA
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Correct Anthony :thumbup: , he uses the Vibra-TITE 362 .
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Thanks for the feedback everybody. It was very helpful.

Normous, How do you clean your vanes after scuffing them?

Also, how much adhesive do people use? Should I use enough adhesive so that is spreads out a bit onto the shaft beyond the vane?

Thanks Again,

Don
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I fill the center of the valley, but not over full. I put a very thin strip, then spread it with the Q-Tip stick part. There is usually a few areas that I gently wipe clean after I remove the arrow from the jig. Do not squeeze the arms on the jig! Use the cap only to supply the pressure.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

CT.HNTR wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:12 am
Thanks for the feedback everybody. It was very helpful.

Normous, How do you clean your vanes after scuffing them?

Also, how much adhesive do people use? Should I use enough adhesive so that is spreads out a bit onto the shaft beyond the vane?

Thanks Again,

Don
Hi Don, I scuff first then clean and dry.
Judging how much adhesive to use is a learning curve. Too much, and it bleeds out and looks like a 5 year old applied it, and too little glue may not hold the vane properly.

Some tips:
- Use GOOD lighting to put down a thin center bead and spread glue noting a uniform thin side to side coverage with a toothpick tip. A small desktop LED light is that is adjustable close to your working area is best.
- With any left over glue on the toothpick I return it to the front and back 1/8" of the vane to prevent vane lift, I just like a little extra glue in those two areas.
- Although not necessary for most do it your selfers, I prefer to use a 3 cc medical syringe with a 23 gauge needle tip to meter glue most efficiently. This gives me the RIGHT amount of glue product in my experience. The open end of most glues are a bit too large to meter glue well I found.
- Some ask me how I get the glue into the syringe. Backload by removing the stopper and adding slightly less than half a ml of glue for 12 arrows.
- Lastly , I store glue upside down in the fridge. Upside down prevents air contact to the next glue your going to use.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...Normous...I use the finest mill sand paper folded to scuff the vane...the folded sandpaper fits perfectly in the valley of the vane....How do you perform said task?

I also use a syringe to lay down the glue...these syringes are one use only and must be discarded...you can buy a bunch from China :shock: :eusa-hand: for almost nothing!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

amythntr wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 am
...Normous...I use the finest mill sand paper folded to scuff the vane...the folded sandpaper fits perfectly in the valley of the vane....How do you perform said task?

I also use a syringe to lay down the glue...these syringes are one use only and must be discarded...you can buy a bunch from China :shock: :eusa-hand: for almost nothing!
Anthony, same method as yourself using surplus 180 grit and I use the finest US - NEW JERSEY manufactured BD syringes, FREE from my local Canadian Pharmacy. :mrgreen: :shh: :D
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:47 pm
amythntr wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 am

Anthony, same method as yourself using surplus 180 grit and I use the finest US - NEW JERSEY manufactured BD syringes, FREE from my local Canadian Pharmacy. :mrgreen: :shh: :D
Free you say? :eusa-popcorn: :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I would like to thank everybody who provided feedback regarding best fletching methods. I finished up my bolts and am very pleased with the results. I used Zombie Slayer shafts, removed the decals, Bohning Insert Iron for the front inserts and Goat Tuff CA adhesive for the Bohning Blazers. I used the Arizona EZ-Fletch jig. I first cleaned the shafts several times with acetone until they were squeaky clean. The bond strength of the Blazers is excellent.

Thanks everybody for your help :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-clap:
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks