O/T Quarantine Day #7

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

O/T Quarantine Day #7

Post by janesy »

Spent the evening tinkering with some brass. Got out the Ultra Sonic cleaner today. Thought I would share my method. I use bottled Distilled water. Down side is you have to wait on the unit to heat itself, but the end results is far less water spots or brass discolouration.

Regardless of whether you size or clean first, this method works best. Typically I deprime, then clean then size. But in this case I didn't reset the die to deprime only so I sized first.

1)Scrape loose carbon from primer pocket while unit heats up
2) add distilled water enough to cover brass.
3) add appropriate brass cleaner, in this case Lyman branded .
4) run an empty cycle to get bubbles out of the water(more of an issue with tap water) and insure the mix is ready
5) add brass in small batches being careful to get as many bubble out as possible
6) run 3 cycles at 2.5 minutes each with a shake of the basket in between.
7) drain each case of cleaner and place in a bowl of distilled water. Again, get the bubbles out.
**Depending on your choice of cleaner now is also the time to neutralize if needed**
8 ) place each case in Isopropyl Alcohol or rubbing alcohol. This will remove the water residue, greatly speed up drying time and remove any possible finger prints you've left. Nothing like a perfect oxydized finger print left on a clean case .
9) place in the rack to dry before reloading
10) enjoy perfectly cleaned brass.

Not lots of people say this is not necessary. But, first it looks better. Second, it makes it so much easier to cull brass. Third if you size after cleaning it's nearly impossible to gall your die. And third, look at all the carbon in the dirty water. That from 40 1F cases!

Last edited by janesy on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Re: O/T Quarantine Day #7

Post by Bcxbow »

Very nice :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bcxbow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm
Thanks Billy. This method obviously would work for any high capacity loading, but I load for consistency and for brain training, so clean brass to me is a nice touch.

Also worth mentioning is that a lot of reloaders rely on the carbon in the neck for added lubrication. This step removes it, and if you load clean, then you may have to run the fully sized brass thought the cleaner again to remove the lube you ad.
I also wonder about neck tension if the case has "lube" carbon in the neck as well. But I don't know more than that.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm
Bcxbow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm
Thanks Billy. This method obviously would work for any high capacity loading, but I load for consistency and for brain training, so clean brass to me is a nice touch.

Also worth mentioning is that a lot of reloaders rely on the carbon in the neck for added lubrication. This step removes it, and if you load clean, then you may have to run the fully sized brass thought the cleaner again to remove the lube you ad.
I also wonder about neck tension if the case has "lube" carbon in the neck as well. But I don't know more than that.
I’m old school, still using crushed walnut shells for media in a tumbler.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bcxbow wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 pm

I’m old school, still using crushed walnut shells for media in a tumbler.
I rarely reload more than 50 cases at a time, if I did more I'd have a tumbler for sure. But I'd probably still ultra sonic first then tumble to shine them up all pretty like.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
frisky

Post by frisky »

I like how nice and clean your cases are!! :thumbup: I use the shells and tumbler method. I made a tumbler out of wood powered by a 1/4 horse electric motor. Never counted how many cases it would hold but I think 100 would be conservative. I use boiling water with soap as a clean up.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Great operation you got going there. I have a cheap vibration tumbler. Works ok but I use powdered walnut shells. A little dirty.
Those brass are spotless. Very nice.