OT: Boredom Relief

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: Boredom Relief

Post by IronNoggin »

Beyond the EI calling merry go round, I am as bored as I have ever been.
Crawling walls actually after more than 2 weeks of isolation!

Decided to take a get out of the house break yesterday.
Sat watching the on and off again rains, saw a break, and thought wth! Let's GO!

Arrived to no-one else there. Excellent.
Got set up, and went to work with the new-to-me Convertible (22 LR & 22 WMR) German (Herbert Schmidt) Revolver.

She was a long ways off center at 10 feet, so it took a bit to get her set-up and frustration was just starting to set in.
Small break, and right back at it.
After the break, she settled into her (and my) Sweet Spot, and began to spit them just about where I wanted.
A few more practice rounds, and Let's Get Serious!

Now out to ten yards, the 22 Long Rifle ammo grouped rather nicely:

Switched cylinders, and the 22 WMR (Magnum) rounds placed even better!

Backed out to 15 yards to see what she could do. 22 LR again:

Not overly shabby! So let's give the 22 Mag a whirl at 15:

Even better again! Seems to somewhat prefer the heavier magnum loads for whatever reason.

Of course then it was time to play Make The Can Dance.
Started at ~ 10 feet, and walked it out to around 20 yards!
FUN!

And for the first time in days I was actually grinning from ear to ear!
She tends to get a little "sticky" after being shot but a handful of times.
Nothing a good cleaning and a little tweaking won't cure I'm sure.
Wanted to know if she could shoot. Yep indeed, a VERY fine tube on this one!
Guess I'll keep it.

And today, back to the regularly scheduled attempt to contact EI madness. Call number 130 in seconds...

So... What are you doing to try and kill the boredom blues??

Wondering...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Re: OT: Boredom Relief

Post by janesy »

I loaded up 40 rounds for the Whelen initial load. Started low and worked up 3 rounds per load stopping 1/2grain short of max due to the overwhelming annocdotal information that that'll be the sweet spot.

I was tired. Too tired and I knew it, I should have stopped but I didn't. Loaded all 40 rounds. On literally the last load measure-up(I measure every load for COAL) I noticed a slightest bulge at the neck. Looked down and sure enough... My shell holder was sitting pretty close to the seater die. And since everyone warns of the inherently weak shoulder on the Whelen due to is size. I knew immediately I had bulged the shoulders.

Popped the firing pin out of a 700 and sure as crap, only a small handful would even chamber. Such a rookie mistake, but I was exhausted and just happy to have an hour to myself to tinker. We've been in isolation for a week and now almost another 2 weeks of quarantine... With a 3 and 5 year old. Love em to bits, but I was looking for the downtime.

Yesterday I pulled all the bullets and powder, removed the decapp pin and went about starting over. Resize, reload and reset the bullets.

Sure are a pretty looking round with that accubond sticking out. Worth the hassle.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Cleaned the KOI pond today. A little sore from moving rocks all day! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Truth be told, my isolation didn't start until this past weekend so I'm only on day 3. But, I'm in for the long haul. I can't depart home unless my job calls me in (everyone is sick) or we get the all clear. It could be weeks or months.

I'm not bored yet, but I am going to have to start pacing myself or I'll run out of projects (or project supplies) in a couple of weeks. We had rain over the weekend, so I took the opportunity to reload some 450 Bushmaster and 6.5 Grendel.

Cleaned off a bear head...

This morning I put the second coat of paint on my processing shed floor.

Then I poured a concrete slab under both of my heat pumps.

I've got 50ft of rocky soil between the house and my shed and supplies to lay a new 220v power line so I've got plenty to break the boredom for now. By mid-week I should receive enough oil and air filters and spark plugs to perform annual maintenance on seven piece of power equipment. If this drags on too long, I've got four more power toys than can be done as well.

Then there are the trailer bearings. I've got one set of tires on order and they could all use their bearings checked.

But right now, my new TACT-100 scope arrived for my Matrix, a bigfoot stirrup for my Micro 335 and a spool of .036 Angel Majesty. I don't care if it is windy outside, its time to fling some arrows while the paint and concrete dry. :lol:

BTW, nice looking and shooting pistol. I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm conversion. A 22LR/22 Mag conversion would be a great pistol to have around.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

With our Ontario spring bear hunt planned during the first week of June I started on a dozen double carbon wall Aero Concept arrows.
The inner carbon tube comes in at 55 gr and the proprietary SS insert at 55 gr also.

The outer shaft is a .001 Zombie shaft.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm
With our Ontario spring bear hunt planned during the first week of June I started on a dozen double carbon wall Aero Concept arrows.
The inner carbon tube comes in at 55 gr and the proprietary SS insert at 55 gr also.

The outer shaft is a .001 Zombie shaft.

Looking good!!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hey Nog!

My daughter got through to an EI agent today and her application is now in process.

Miracles can happen! :)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Hey Nog!

My daughter got through to an EI agent today and her application is now in process.

Miracles can happen! :)
One can hope...

Attempt number 301 got me to "Hold" again today.
And... Once again they let the clock run out without answering, left me on hold, and went home for the day. :roll:

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."