finally!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cardinalsfanforever

finally!

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

first off, relatively new to turkey hunting, just one in last five years, got a jake about 3 yeas ago, Not a lot of birds in our area. they weren't busted up yet and not responding to calls. our Illinois seasons are busted up into 5 seasons, about a week at a time. I have a first season tag and a third season. today being the last day of the first season. Couldn't figure out where these guys were going, they weren't coming to calls. When they left the roost, they would disappear. so today being the last day, I loaded up and headed toward gobble. every once in awhile I would hit the slate and get a distant gobble back.
Finally topping a ridge overlooking, a big slough there was a whole flock!!![imghttps://i.postimg.cc/Z560P3gR/IMG-0611.jpg[/img]
I don't know how to open pics but some others on here have been good about helping me. thank you so muchhttps:
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Stepnoutnb

Re: finally!

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Trying to see if this works for you. Edit; it worked, a beautiful turkey. If you’ve read a few of my posts you’ll see I’ve never been Turkey hunting. Been dreaming about. Our first ever season by draw was supposed to be this May. I’m sure Corona-19 put an end to that.
Well congratulations I love the picture.
Wayne
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Maybe you could tell us your story? Did you use a shot gun or bow? Did he come to the call? What call or calls did you use? After all I have to live this turkey hunting vicariously through all you lucky folks with a season and the fact you actually have enough turkeys.
Cheers
Wayne
artifact

Post by artifact »

Congrats on getting the "bearded mountain chicken", we need to wait 3 wks. yet for the PA season to open.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Congrats persistance paid off.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations! It is quite the addiction!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice Tom!! :thumbup:
Congrats!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Nice Tom congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cardinalsfanforever

As for the story, they wouldn't come to my call, so I followed the gobble. every now and then he would gobble, or I would use the slate and he would gobble sometimes. every time he would gobble, I would head his direction, and finally walked upon a bluff overlooking a big slough, they were right below me. 3 Toms for sure, 2 strutting and this feller was with them, I wanted the big one strutting but his back was to me and about 15 yards below me, this one looked up and I knew I was busted so I shouldered the shotgun and let him have it. If I Would have shot the bigger one, I would have ruined the tail. We don't have a lot of birds around here either, they're spotty. I have been fortunate to get permission to hunt there. by the time I got back to the truck my phone showed 2.75 miles, not sure the accuracy of it tho, a lot of walking for an old fat man :lol: . Every time I go to the woods anymore I try to remember to say a little prayer thanking God for the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Just happened to be on Good Friday. A lot to be thankful for.
My son started hunting a big Tom this morning, he is already henned up with 3 hens, last week I saw 9 hens with him, wander where they went? Son got a good show this morning, but no bird.
Boo

Post by Boo »

One think I learned quickly is that if you're stalking them and they aren't aware of you and you pop up, you have less than 3 seconds to pop him. As sharp as their eyes are, they're dumb critters. They'll also stop and run along a cattle fence if they're running from you even though they can easily go through. Not much different from an Antelope.
Cool story! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cardinalsfanforever

you're right about the 3 seconds, that's about all I had after he looked up, I saw his shoulders start hunkering down, gettin ready oblast off.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Great experience, love stalking/chasing Tom's
. Especially when calling doesnt seem to get their attention.

Nice bird.!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Great story , congrats on your thunder chicken .
W.M.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pm
As for the story, they wouldn't come to my call, so I followed the gobble. every now and then he would gobble, or I would use the slate and he would gobble sometimes. every time he would gobble, I would head his direction, and finally walked upon a bluff overlooking a big slough, they were right below me. 3 Toms for sure, 2 strutting and this feller was with them, I wanted the big one strutting but his back was to me and about 15 yards below me, this one looked up and I knew I was busted so I shouldered the shotgun and let him have it. If I Would have shot the bigger one, I would have ruined the tail. We don't have a lot of birds around here either, they're spotty. I have been fortunate to get permission to hunt there. by the time I got back to the truck my phone showed 2.75 miles, not sure the accuracy of it tho, a lot of walking for an old fat man :lol: . Every time I go to the woods anymore I try to remember to say a little prayer thanking God for the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Just happened to be on Good Friday. A lot to be thankful for.
My son started hunting a big Tom this morning, he is already henned up with 3 hens, last week I saw 9 hens with him, wander where they went? Son got a good show this morning, but no bird.
This is a great story and congratulations again!
Wayne