Wingbone call

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Wingbone call

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

As I sit here in lock down this season, I can't help to think how many more turkeys will be running around for next year. So I decided to do a turkey project and see if I can make me a wingbone turkey call. I've never owned one, let alone used one so I'll see what happens. I'll just keep dreaming till next year. :eusa-pray:
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
flightattendant100

Re: Wingbone call

Post by flightattendant100 »

That's all one of my Dads friends would use. Swore by them. I have one....ehhh? Good luck
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I made several , it is easy. very easy to use.
W.M.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I just went to your states stay at home order it says you can go out in nature as long as you obey the 6 foot distancing rule . Did your wildlife commission close the season ? I would check on it . Don't mean to make trouble but you may be wrong most states that I know of are still hunting with the stay at home order as long as you keep the distance rule. As for the wing bone call that would be a good project .
artifact

Post by artifact »

I have one I picked up at a flea market, also made one. They aren't that hard to make and definitely sound raspier than other type calls, if you practice with one a little bit you should be able to call turkeys in. Trick to using one is where to place the end at in your lips, you'll learn that.
Robinsons Rebel

No, you are right about the stay at home order. I hunt in Louisiana and Mississippi but I got the lock down order from my wife!
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

That stinks My wife is going to hunt with me this year/
Robinsons Rebel

Can't blame her. Our neighbor passed away from the virus and he was 55. I just turned 53 and she drew the line. Good luck to yall and be safe.
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
Twignstring

Post by Twignstring »

It's been awhile. But I've made a few wing bone calls over the years.
Hen wing bones seem to work best.
After learning the skill to use the wing bone. I would just use a small plastic straw to make the yelps.
Can just about use almost any narrow tube. Take a ball point pen apart and use that too.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Go to YouTube and look up a young man with the Chanel Catman Outdoors. He is young and makes wing bone calls. They sound real good. He gets a lot of turkeys using the wing bone call. He self films. Seems like a great young hunter. I’ve watched lots of his videos lately.
Robinsons Rebel

Yeah I've seen Catmans videos. Kind of where I got my inspiration from. Figured it to be a challenge to learn to use one. I've always heard they answer to a wingbone when nothing else works. I guess because not alot of people use them.
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I have made several as well. Used last year for first time, and it was a success! Easy, fun, effective, and a great conversation piece!
Robinsons Rebel

One last question. Did you bleach the bones or left them natural color?
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The best thing for whiteing bone is 40 volume peroxide they use in hair salons it's way stronger then regular peroxide and does not eat the bone like bleach.
I use it on European skull mounts with great results.
Be sure to ware gloves and brush it on.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Twignstring wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:17 pm
It's been awhile. But I've made a few wing bone calls over the years.
Hen wing bones seem to work best.
After learning the skill to use the wing bone. I would just use a small plastic straw to make the yelps.
Can just about use almost any narrow tube. Take a ball point pen apart and use that too.
Many years back, I hunted with a friend of mine that grew up around Fort Smith, Arkansas. He was an avid Turkey hunter!! If he wasn't hunting them, he was scouting them. :lol:
I've seen him call Turkeys using the tube from a cheap plastic Bic ball point pen!! Worked like a charm! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!