Maine Turkey season opens early

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

Maine Turkey season opens early

Post by Hatchet »

Just got some good news. According to an article I just read Maine wild turkey season will be opening early. Youth hunters will be allowed to hunt April 25th and 27th. Regular season opens on May 2nd instead of on May 4th as was scheduled. This is good news for the people of Maine as most are getting tired of being cooped up at home. Our family would like to thank our Governor Janet Mills and our Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Commissioner Judy Camuso. We are excited to get out and chase some turkeys. With school and businesses shut down this was a very sensible decision.

If you live in Maine and hunt turkeys I found this article on NewsCenter Maine and a couple other news sites. Go check it out for yourself and make sure its accurate.
I am new to this forum and would like to thank everyone for welcoming me. A great group of people on this forum for sure. I will post some pics of our hunt on Saturday.
Take care
Hatchet
Twignstring

Re: Maine Turkey season opens early

Post by Twignstring »

Yep. This is what an email I got today from Maine Inland fish and wildlife said.
No registering of harvested turkeys at game stations this season. They will provide a questioner at the end of the season to report your harvest.

Can't wait to chase them long beards!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Good luck to you Twignstring. Hoping you harvest a real beard dragger.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Yes my son sent a text to my wife saying that he lives in Orland . Now do you have to put the tag on the bird like a transport tag ? How many hunters will fill out the report at the end of the season ? If the hunters are smart they will send it in maybe this could be the way this could be done going forward .
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I'm happy for my neighbors in Maine! Maybe a bit envious too.
Wayne
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If it is like us here we have to have the tag in our possession while in contact with the game . If you leave the game then tag has to be attached . Starting this year if we don`t do the report, hunting privileges will be denied the following year .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Last year we had to affix a temporary name tag then take it to tagging station for their tag. I like the idea of filling out a report of what we harvested after the season is over. From what I have heard this is how waterfowl hunters report their harvest. We will miss going to the local store to tag our birds, it is a very exciting time for the young hunters. 1 day to go and the excitement is building, as of this morning the woods are crawling with turkeys.
Hoping all is well,
Hatchet