Strength needed to cock 340 axe vs others

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sagedoc

Strength needed to cock 340 axe vs others

Post by sagedoc »

Hello everyone,
I am looking to get a new crossbow, but with most stores still closed, I can’t the Axe 340 to see if I can pull it back with a regular string puller versus a crank type of aid. I have a Matrix 380 that I have to use a crank, but I also have an equinox that I don’t need a crank to cock. Can anyone tell me where the Axe 340 firs in there? I have had numerous hand surgeries which limit me somewhat, but I’d rather not use a crank if I can help it. Thanks
flightattendant100

Re: Strength needed to cock 340 axe vs others

Post by flightattendant100 »

I don’t have an Axe, but have a Micro 335 and a Micro 355. The 335 is stout but so short a pull that it is pretty easy. The 355 is just enough longer that it gets to be a fair chore to cock. Hope I haven’t confused you more
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm
I don’t have an Axe, but have a Micro 335 and a Micro 355. The 335 is stout but so short a pull that it is pretty easy. The 355 is just enough longer that it gets to be a fair chore to cock. Hope I haven’t confused you more
Yep. I have a heart condition now, so I use the Charger Crank, worth every penny!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have MS and cancer which limits my strength to rope cock the Axe but I can rope cock my Axe a few times . But I bought the Charger ext crank so I save my energy and I use it .
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you have no problem cocking an Equinox, you're probably 5'10" or more. If you are, it may not be fun but you won't have any problems cocking the 340. Height tends to be more of a benefit than strength.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm
The AXE in my opinion, falls closer the the 355 than the 335. I can't remember off the top of my head but the power stroke on the axe is shorter than the 335, but the pressure on the limbs is greater so it requires more force than say a traditional micro that shoots the same speed. but the shorter draw length does make it feel easier than the 355, as you don't need that last 1/2" umph to lock it in.

But to answer the OP's question, based on the responses of almost all AXE owners now over the last year(almost)
If you need a crank to cock a 380, you'll need a crank to cock the AXE 340.

The axe like all micros, doesn't have the "soft" start the matrix and especially the wide limbs offer before they build up the tension. The micros pretty much starts the pull under tension. It's a stout, but short pull.

With that said, the AXE is probably the best bang for the buck for Excal these days. Extremely well balanced, good package at a good price point. If only they were Bulldogs. :)
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I think the cocking effort for the matrix 380 and the micro 315( which I own both) is about the same, they feel similar. the 340 will probably be tuffer to pull back. just got an Axiom SMF and so far am liking it!
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
sagedoc

Post by sagedoc »

Thanks everyone for the info!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 am
I think the cocking effort for the matrix 380 and the micro 315( which I own both) is about the same, they feel similar. the 340 will probably be tuffer to pull back. just got an Axiom SMF and so far am liking it!
That is where height comes to play. The 315 is easy for me to cock. The 380 is much more difficult for me. In fact I haven't rope cocked it for 2 yrs because I don't have the strength anymore.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Even though I could cock my Matrix 380 with the cocking-aid rope, when I first got my Axe, I could not cock it with the rope, so I ordered the crank. Since I found the crank not as convenient. I tried the rope until eventually after about a week or so I could cock it without the crank. So I suppose it's mind over matter, or where there's a will there's a way.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.