Spring Bear Update #1

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Spring Bear Update #1

Post by Species8472 »

So my bait has been out for a week. It was hit next day and than every day until Wednesday. In that time they cleaned out about 2/3s or over 200 lbs. Wednesday night the action dried up. To top it off at the cottage we got 5 inches of snow Thursday night and than another 2 inches Friday night. This pic was taken Friday afternoon before the next 2 inches fell:

Headed off to check the site Saturday mid morning. Oddly enough at the put in (15 mile from the cottage) there was only an inch or two of snow:

On the way:

Three miles down the lake from the put in at the bait it was more like 2 or 3 inches of snow. Pic was taken about half way down the shooting lane to the bait:

So the action dried up Wednesday night but i figured I would sit out anyway as i know for sure if I'm on the couch it ain't gonna happen. Refreshed the bait and setup about 1 pm. Stayed out 8 hours until the end of legal. The hide makes use of a windfall root mass that i carved a U shaped rest into for a shooting rest. I was #$%^ cold by the time I finished up the boat trip back to the truck.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Hillcountry

Re: Spring Bear Update #1

Post by Hillcountry »

Looks great! I’ll bet the flies are nonexistent with the damned cold...almost rather have flies in MAY!
I wish NH had a Spring bear season...
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
SEW

Re: Spring Bear Update #1

Post by SEW »

Beautiful pictures. Our season in Arkansas is Fall only. After over 30 years of Fall bear hunting, I’ve still yet to figure out a good, consistently predictable , productive, baiting system. Sometimes after consistent hits, the bait station just goes cold.

My best responses have seemed to be, bait with a lot of everything - corn, dog food, molasses, lots of sweets, wait 3 days do it again, and hunt, starting that very day. However, this is in Arkansas with a comparatively low bear population and with the season starting just as the White Oak acorns start falling . Temps average 90 F. Likely, quite a bit of difference.

Good luck/skill.