NEW to Crossbows and Looking to Buy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JeepStar

NEW to Crossbows and Looking to Buy

Post by JeepStar »

Hi Guys, I am a experienced rifle and shotgun hunter, but lost all my guns and ammo in a fire. I have decided to return to hunting, but with crossbow. I live and work in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area and have decided to purchase a Excalibur Take Down (TD) model crossbow and accessories. I am looking to save some money, so I wanted to reach out to this forum and ask for suggestions as to where I can best find deals on Excalibur products, both new and used. Any help would be appreciated!
Boo

Re: NEW to Crossbows and Looking to Buy

Post by Boo »

I did some shopping for someone in Winnie-pig. All dealers seem to be holding the line on the newer bows.
Which TD were you looking at?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JeepStar

Post by JeepStar »

Boo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 am
I did some shopping for someone in Winnie-pig. All dealers seem to be holding the line on the newer bows.
Thanks for your Reply! I have decided that I need a TD model for easier travel and storage, but I have not yet decided on which of the TD models to buy. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

JeepStar wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:41 pm
Boo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 am
Thanks for your Reply! I have decided that I need a TD model for easier travel and storage, but I have not yet decided on which of the TD models to buy. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

Although I don’t own one (yet), I have shot as well as heard reports from other members on the micro 360 TD with all good reports. It is on my bucket list.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have the 360 and the 400 TDs. If I were to do it again and only own one, it would be the 360. The 360 has the updated old design limbs and the 400 limbs are completely different. The later is a better design but the updated old design are solid performers. When cranking the 360 it gets pretty stiff at the top and the 400 is down right stiff and when you see the limbs bend back, your eyes will bug out a bit.
There is zero practical reason to choose the 400 over the 360. The 400 will be harder on arrows, strings, targets and you'll have to look longer to find your arrow after it zips through a deer. If you can't kill it with a 360, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it. Also, squeezing the most accuracy will come easier in the 360.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Don't count out the 340TD. Im not sure about package options. But I'm firmly convinced that the 340 fps range is about perfect for a micro(axe340 through a Black Bear and 8 inches into the ground before stopping on a rock) Reasonable rope cocking and enough speed for anything you want to hunt

Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
JeepStar

Post by JeepStar »

Thank you to all the guys that have Replied! It's all great advice for a crossbow newbie like myself. Please keep it coming and I hope to hear from more forum members soon.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I feel for you having experienced a house fire, We went thru that in 1982, lose, lose situation! As far as crossbows I can recommend getting a 30-30 instead, it'll be cheaper. I started with one excalibur and now have 3! ask any of the guys that are on here and see how many they've got. Especially BOO! :lol: Seriously tho, Excalibur is the best and these guys are the best. Any help you need and they're ,there for you. Warranty is the best also.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
RobD

Post by RobD »

And while the Axe 340 isn't a TD model, it does break down with a single screw very easily. I have a barely-used Kryptek version listed on another archery forum, PM me if you want details.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

If you go to Sail.ca and you will see a prompt to sign up for email alerts, you automatically get a 10% discount and free delivery. They have the Takedown models.
For example the TD340 is $999 CND the same price everywhere IN Canada. So $999 less 10% and free delivery. While on that site make sure you order all the components you want and get the 10%. Think about extra bolts broadheads, crank, extra field points etc.
I hope this helps.
Wayne
Edit some of the models are in store only but the 340TD can be ordered on line as of this moment. Sail have several stores around Toronto, Vaughn and Oshawa.
Sadly I have no local shops and have to mail order most everything Hunting and fishing. Sail and Cabela’s have filled the void.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:29 am
If you go to Sail.ca and you will see a prompt to sign up for email alerts, you automatically get a 10% discount and free delivery. They have the Takedown models.
For example the TD340 is $999 CND the same price everywhere IN Canada. So $999 less 10% and free delivery. While on that site make sure you order all the components you want and get the 10%. Think about extra bolts broadheads, crank, extra field points etc.
I hope this helps.
Wayne
Edit some of the models are in store only but the 340TD can be ordered on line as of this moment. Sail have several stores around Toronto, Vaughn and Oshawa.
Sadly I have no local shops and have to mail order most everything Hunting and fishing. Sail and Cabela’s have filled the void.
Good tip Wayne, but better act fast...

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/sail-to-close-six-stores-in-ontario-and-quebec-affecting-500-employees-1.4970501
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

janesy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:39 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:29 am
I hope this helps.
Wayne
Good tip Wayne, but better act fast...

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/sail-to-close-six-stores-in-ontario-and-quebec-affecting-500-employees-1.4970501
You just ruined my day!
I’m 63! I used to be able to go in any corner store in the country and buy shells an old Cooey 22 or single shot 12 gauge some hooks, sinkers a bobber. I can’t buy anything anymore.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

If you are certainly wed to the TD models, I'd suggest looking hard at 340 then 360. If saving money is a consideration (typically), you won't be saving any with the 400TD. I had to spend money on a better bag target, a better broadhead target and stronger broadheads. Also, the 400TD is crank only. A rope cocker isn't included. The 400TD is accurate and very powerful, but that power comes with additional baggage.

As others have mentioned, the 340TD has plenty of speed. I really like my Micro 335 and have taken a deer with it every season I've owned it. Rope cocking it is no problem. The money saved by getting a slightly slower model could be invested in accessories like a Tact-100 scope for it. Had I not picked up the 400TD, the dealer version of the 340TD in Realtree Timber with the Tact-100 scope looks :eusa-drool: nice!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:56 pm
If you are certainly wed to the TD models, I'd suggest looking hard at 340 then 360. If saving money is a consideration (typically), you won't be saving any with the 400TD. I had to spend money on a better bag target, a better broadhead target and stronger broadheads. Also, the 400TD is crank only. A rope cocker isn't included. The 400TD is accurate and very powerful, but that power comes with additional baggage.

As others have mentioned, the 340TD has plenty of speed. I really like my Micro 335 and have taken a deer with it every season I've owned it. Rope cocking it is no problem. The money saved by getting a slightly slower model could be invested in accessories like a Tact-100 scope for it. Had I not picked up the 400TD, the dealer version of the 340TD in Realtree Timber with the Tact-100 scope looks :eusa-drool: nice!
Good point, I didnt think of the $600 difference!
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Hey Don tell us more about that 400 TD hows the new limbs, hows it shoot. I’m looking for a take down and I’m up in the air with the 400 TD and the 340 TD and since I’ve bought my son an Axe now I’m looking hard at the 340 TD. I have not shot either yet but as soon as I find them in the shops I want to shoot them both.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats