Summer Crossbow Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Summer Crossbow Hunt

Post by XB I GO »

We got an invitation to go to Edwards area of Texas. This area is in the Hill Country and is known for a variety of free range exotic animals. Edwards and Real County have elevations up to 2500 feet and if very rocky. The most common animals to see are Axis deer and Blackbuck antelope. The guy that invited us said there are some feral rams on a particular slope and ravine that he sees often. We drove a long long way to get out there. The first day we hiked up and around 16.5 miles. All that time we saw one whitetail deer and one tan colored ram. I ended up with some major blisters. My Dad said change socks often and use foot powder. I didn't do it enough or it didn't work. My brother hardly had any problem with his feet other than being sore. We finally got to sleep late and the next thing you know Dad is waking us up again. We started up a slope that looked like it went straight up. We left a creek bed and just kept climbing. My brother was leading and then he got tired and let me lead. After about an hour we were lost. My brother said he knew how to get back so he took the lead again and don't you know he really did know where to go. Eventually we made it back down and to base camp again. We repeated this another day. On that day we say a tan colored ram. It came out of a game trail onto a bigger trail. It looked towards us and stood still for a few seconds. Before I could get binoculars or rangefinder out he went back into the thick and that was the end of that. At the very end of the day we say two moving spots on a ridgeline. When I used binoculars we could see a couple rams. We climbed to the top. When we got there I decided to give me brother the crossbow. He was surprised that I was going to let him shoot. Dad gave us instructions and I went down into a ravine in case the animals went down that way. We hoped they would sense me and go towards my brother. He went up hill with my Dad. After a while I could see a few rams on a crest. Eventually I heard a whack sound. When I climbed up to where my brother and Dad were I heard the story. Two rams climbed up a path. Dad and my bro were under them. The rangefinder wasn't working and the sticks kept slipping. My brother told me Dad he knew what to do. Dad told him to make sure he was totally positive he could do it. He hit the ram. They heard it and it jumped forward and hobbled a little. We climbed up there and it was really rough and slick so it took a while. The ram really didn't go anywhere he just fell off the other side and was dead there. By the time we got him back up to the ridge it was dark. My Dad cut a branch and some sticks and made a carrier. He put short sticks through the rams legs and a big long branch lengthwise. They gutted the ram. He and my brother put the big sticks on their shoulders and carried the ram. I had the crossbow that has backpack strap sling on it, the actual backpack, the sticks and extra stuff. It took us an hour to get down to the trail. Then we had to go another half mile or so to camp. By the time we got to camp it was 1030PM already. We used truck lights to take the picture back at camp. Then we got the ram cut into the cooler. This isn't a great big ram but it was really cool that is was free range and we had an adventure to get it. The trip was the trophy. The next day we went fishing and I caught 2 Florida bass and my brother got a catfish. Then I decided I wanted to get a jackrabbit to make something out of the skin. We stalked a bunch but I couldn't carry the crossbow anymore. I switched to my PCP rifle and ended up getting one that way. Great crossbow adventure with the Excalibur!
XB I GO

Re: Summer Crossbow Hunt

Post by XB I GO »

We are going home today....and I'm going to get a haircut! First we are stopping in a town for Chicken and Waffles and internet service.

deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Congrats. You guys are living a dream!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Congratulations to you, your brother and your father. Sounds like you guys worked hard for that one.
Take care
Hatchet
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Great hunt and story! Congrats!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations! Sounds like it was a tad intense! You guys must be behaving for your dad to take you out there because I know he doesn't cut you guys any slack! :eusa-naughty: You'll appreciate your dad 10 yrs from now and you'll look back at the great times you had that very few others get! You guys sure hunt hard! :thumbup: But the hair......! :lol: :lol: :lol:
What are you going to make out of the rabbit skin?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the hunt.
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I might try to make a quiver.

Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Way to go guys, congrats on a great experience :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

XB I GO, Looks and sounds like a great hunt. You worked hard ,put in your effort, and were rewarded. Also sounds like you had fun and got to spend some quality time with brother and Dad. Cherish those memories, they are great days!
As for the hair ( it looks about like Colton's) If I had hair.....I would grow it to the ground. :shifty:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cool trip XB, thanks for bringing us along. !
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Fun times to remember!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The Edwards Plateau region of Texas can be pretty tough. I use to hunt down near Bandera. Took my best Aoudad ram down there!! It's great that you got to spend time with your dad. You'll never forget the memories!!
Nice high fin Blue Cat too!! :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!