Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ankh

Arrows

Post by Ankh »

On excal Facebook page I see debates about zombie vs quill/diablo. I've always shot the latter with great success (3" or less groups at 20, 30, and 40 yards). Am I missing something or will the zombies really improve my results significantly?
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
bigbowman

Re: Arrows

Post by bigbowman »

For most hunting situations, just about any factory fletched arrows will do the job. Good Luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bigbowman wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:57 am
For most hunting situations, just about any factory fletched arrows will do the job. Good Luck!
:thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Quality control is much more strict with BEA. So you will have culls or more culls with factory arrows. I dont remember having any culls with BEA.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Ankh wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:19 pm
On excal Facebook page I see debates about zombie vs quill/diablo. I've always shot the latter with great success (3" or less groups at 20, 30, and 40 yards). Am I missing something or will the zombies really improve my results significantly?
Entirely depends on what you are looking for.
If you are happy with the group sizes you note to 40 yards, they are are quite acceptable for hunting ranges.

If on the other hand you are a self confessed obsessive detail perfectionist, that might not be the case. (Referring to self here) :wink:
I commonly practice to 100 yards.
And often realize 2 - 3 inch groups at that range.
80 yards is pretty much a 2" or less group every single time.
What makes this so for me includes the .001 Zombie Slayers - custom built to a recipe designed for long range accuracy by Big John.
Of course having your bow tweaked right out helps too.
Excalibur bows are characteristically accurate right out of the box.
But, a high performance string, decent aftermarket scope and a custom Trigger Tech trigger (1.75 lb Single Action) help a little too...

So, like I started with, it's all in What You Want...

Cheers,
Nog The Obsessive
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

It gets a little more convoluted recently as well, since late 2018 Quills and Diablos are on fact executioners made by BE. So really, the most recent factory offering no not require upgrading.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

Don't make it more complicated than you have to, unless your like the one guy who admits he's ANAL
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Forkston wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:39 am
Don't make it more complicated than you have to, unless your like the one guy who admits he's ANAL
.... some of us have selected that part of the Excalibur CB they love tinkering with.... for me it’s not so much the being anal as it is the enjoyment of making “arras”.... I have the selection of BEA shafts from the .003 Executioners to the .001 Zombies...I enjoy just putting it all together from the color combos of my SK200’s to weighing and shooting a complete arra to w/in .5 grain of each other. ..... it’s all fun, therapeutic, and yes, somewhat anal!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

Practice will improve your accuracy,
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 pm
Forkston wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:39 am
.... some of us have selected that part of the Excalibur CB they love tinkering with.... for me it’s not so much the being anal as it is the enjoyment of making “arras”.... I have the selection of BEA shafts from the .003 Executioners to the .001 Zombies...I enjoy just putting it all together from the color combos of my SK200’s to weighing and shooting a complete arra to w/in .5 grain of each other. ..... it’s all fun, therapeutic, and yes, somewhat anal!
The satisfaction of taking an animal with your own made or built arrows is hard to explain. For me it takes away any chance of blaming any bad shot on someone else. As said it brings joy as well knowing you put the effort in as well. The biggest bonus is that it keeps you away from the television, and out of the house!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

The satisfaction of taking an animal with your own made or built arrows is hard to explain. For me it takes away any chance of blaming any bad shot on someone else. As said it brings joy as well knowing you put the effort in as well. The biggest bonus is that it keeps you away from the television, and out of the house!
That, exactly.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....also, both my one son and my BIL have shot deer with my arra's....my BIL was a sworn "TenPoint" Crossbow person until he dropped it out of the tree...He now uses "BadaBing 8) " and shot the biggest deer of his life last year with both, the Excalibur 335 Gen1 and my arra's. Needlessly I DO NOT hear him talking about getting another TenPoint :lol:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

amythntr wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm
....also, both my one son and my BIL have shot deer with my arra's....my BIL was a sworn "TenPoint" Crossbow person until he dropped it out of the tree...He now uses "BadaBing 8) " and shot the biggest deer of his life last year with both, the Excalibur 335 Gen1 and my arra's. Needlessly I DO NOT hear him talking about getting another TenPoint :lol:
I don't imaging he'll ever "buy" another bow again. He's already got a good one, he'd be crazy to give it up :lol: :eusa-clap:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:36 pm
amythntr wrote:
I don't imaging he'll ever "buy" another bow again. He's already got a good one, he'd be crazy to give it up :lol: :eusa-clap:
....Little does he know all the "pimping" that went into "BadaBing 8)" :eusa-think: ....from the Luppy Crossbones, to the Luppy Alumina scope covers, to DrStirrup's db silencers and bumpers, to the Excalibur Crank and not to forget BEA ZS w/Lumenoks......I really cannot complain...he is a great BIL and he did all of the construction addition on our house 15 years ago....so it was sought of my way of repaying him! :thumbup:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:48 pm
janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:36 pm
amythntr wrote:
....Little does he know all the "pimping" that went into "BadaBing 8)" :eusa-think: ....from the Luppy Crossbones, to the Luppy Alumina scope covers, to DrStirrup's db silencers and bumpers, to the Excalibur Crank and not to forget BEA ZS w/Lumenoks......I really cannot complain...he is a great BIL and he did all of the construction addition on our house 15 years ago....so it was sought of my way of repaying him! :thumbup:
He got the better deal! :lol: :lol:
As far as I'm concerned, there is really no other choice for me! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!