Food plot newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

Food plot newbie

Post by elkaholic »

Ok , tilled up several small areas last yr.

Guy just thinks a reseeding is all that's needed.

I'm like no we need to refill it every yr. For best results.

Not my land so not much I can do.

If you walk thru trailsnow. You wouldn't even really know there was a food plot.
Boo

Re: Food plot newbie

Post by Boo »

What is in the food plot?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Variety! Clover , chickory . Whitetail mix bio
Boo

Post by Boo »

It isnt unusual to have to overseed clovers. Although some clovers are drought resistant, they certainly don't do well if there is low rainfall. I had Ladino clover and I found that it needed to be cut once in a while to do well. Without overseeding the clover gradually thinned out after several yrs. Overseeding is done during break in weather when the soil freezes, thaws, freezes and thaws. That allows the seeds to enter cracks in the soil that is created during the freeze, thaw process. If you drop seeds when the thaw is over the seeds will sit on the soil with poor contact and it won't germinate.
Chicory grows so well in the first few years it almost appears to be invasive. I planted it in a corner of my land and I find small clumps as far as 100 yds away. The area that had chicory got mowed several times a year and eventually the grasses took over. Don't know why but talking to our neighbor who is a farmer says that anything you grow repetitively can be effected by insects.
If you're getting a decent amount of rain, you might want to send out a soil sample to see if the soil needs fertilization.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

One thing to mention about clover is that without active reproduction or over seeding, clover dies out after three years. People thinks it's a super plant because it's relatively difficult to kill when it's health. Also, it doesn't like nitrogen, so it responds better to more natural fertilizers. Such as bone meal... But not blood meal if your trying to attract critters
But as Don mentioned it does well under stress such as cutting, which is why it grows so well in your lawn and people tend to think it's easy to grow.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

been doing foodplots for 20 years or so . preparation is key, kill all the weeds/grass possible before planting, soil test save money. low or no nitrogen fertilizer for clover. mow clover high (but do not cut during hot/dry weather), this keeps sunlight from reaching the ground and helps keep weeds and/or grass from growing. i frost seed every spring and have had clover plots last 6 years. its a good idea to rotate after a clover plot is at its end so naturally occurring bacteria in the soil that feeds off clover roots has a chance to die before new crop of clover is planted(good idea is to spray roundup or the like to be sure those roots are killed) . i plant a brassica mix for a year or 2 before replanting clover. when planting clover seed do not cover it just needs to be pressed into the surface, cultipack soil before broadcasting seed then pack again after broadcasting i have 5 plots on my 80 acres all 1/2 acre or less, 3 annual and 2 perennial
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Thanks for information.

Well see how it goes. I wanted to mow also but since there are the white clover heads showing, hes not interested. Plenty of recent rain.