Using a ghost blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

Re: Using a ghost blind

Post by elkaholic »

Thanks for all the information.

Will be trying a few different things/ locations next trip to the woods.

Get it all figured out this week

Always like to stay out of woods the week before season opener.

Sept. 12th in n. Woods.
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

ihunt wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:48 am
I always wanted to try one out.I've seen The DIY ones on Youtube.Has anyone done one of those?
I’ve seen that DIY video ( I think he called it Casper Blind) and evaluated materials, cost and time. First the ghost blind is made of a heavy thick coroplast which is nearly impossible to find and if you do it’s expensive, the thin coroplast won’t do it, it’s too fragile and flexible. Add in the cost of paint, tape and tools to cut you’re better off buying one, every now and then they go on sale. Btw I really like mine just be careful where you place it ex: sun path.
Was wondering about using foam board insulation. About $12 for 4x8 sheet. Thinking something simple when grandson hunts.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Cant blame anyone for making one but l got my money's worth outta my two ....in the sceme of things pricey bows broadheads ,treestands....the ghosblind is a bargain. Mine are 5 years old and still good (like new)...except for me shooting it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

I have the tall one....used it two times....not really practical ....too cumbersome to carry even with the back strap case...there is no question about its viability....it works as advertised....I have kept it since my plan is to buy some hunting property in Pennsytucky and could see it’s use at that point!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Another thing about the ghost blind is if it starts to warp you can flip it over and let it lay that way and will warp will go way .
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I had the shorter one. I sold it after a season because it was more hassle than helpful. Bulky to haul around, no rain or scent coverage and above all, always a pain to have to shoot through slots or above it. IMHO I'm just better off with a cheap stakeout blind where I can raise or lower the height where I want it if I'm sitting on the ground or a chair etc.. Just my opinion.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:31 pm
ihunt wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:48 am
I always wanted to try one out.I've seen The DIY ones on Youtube.Has anyone done one of those?
I’ve seen that DIY video ( I think he called it Casper Blind) and evaluated materials, cost and time. First the ghost blind is made of a heavy thick coroplast which is nearly impossible to find and if you do it’s expensive, the thin coroplast won’t do it, it’s too fragile and flexible. Add in the cost of paint, tape and tools to cut you’re better off buying one, every now and then they go on sale. Btw I really like mine just be careful where you place it ex: sun path.
Was wondering about using foam board insulation. About $12 for 4x8 sheet. Thinking something simple when grandson hunts.
I've tried several different ways to make one. Mirror paint, etc. Nothing works as good as the real thing
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In reference to Anthony's carrying the bag.
I found the bag cumbersome .l have a small backpack with my needs and a minature tripod stool attached to it .
Next l simply carry my crossbow in one hand with the ghosblind in the other by itself by the handle with my Montana decoy sandwiched inside it .
I can easily go my 500 -800 yards or so with little effort.
As Anthony said the backpack is kind of cumbersome especially for someone smaller. (Shorter) includes me.
One cold day l actually put my whole lower body in the bag boots n all and zipped up ....was like a mini body suit worked awsome but indeed the bag on your back is awkward.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I bought the runner with the backpack thing that converts to a seat of sorts. It has 2 pockets. My plan is to trim down all the stuff I carry and go pretty bare bones with all my other crap in the truck. But if that doesn;t work out, I can put the blind on nd then add a backpack over top. SHoudl be fine for my longer hikes. Purposefully did not buy the larger ones as my buddy has it and I thought it might be cumbersome.

The blind came with a set of extenders and then (thanks to Joe) I added a second set. This will allow me to be very flexible with where I have more and less height to the blind (such as the extreme sides) and allow me to adjust shooting windows to the needs of that situation.

Why I think this will be awesome, is that it truly works great to conceal you (when setup properly) and now I will absolutely 100% be able to play the wind exactly right and not ever have to sit in a compromised position. Also, as I said earlier, it will also allow me to conceal myself on the ground when there is not enough vegetation around to use my ghille suit.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

For those use one, how is the visibility? Do you have a good field of view or do you have your head above the panels?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The tall one I have to look over . The small one You can see over it ,
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I widened my ports an inch bigger on my preditor. every one all around and took an inch off the bottom ...now l feel its basically perfect ...with a face mask on I'm level with the top and the widened ports still conceal me pretty good .Even a bigger wider exo bow is not a problem in a ghostblind. If a deer comes close and believe me l had them a foot away l look thru the tiny ovals it's a rush for sure! Being that close without detection
I've had em walk into the thing already
A lot of times they are literally walking into you and the throat shot is basically your best option vs a front chest .
Just practice , practice ,practice a throat /spine shot deer will not go far!
Its usually best to put the decoy so you get a normal broadside shot.
Most importantly put an orange band up because some a -holio will not see you in the blind with the decoy in front ! Safety above everything!
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/f3bhFbzh]Image
This love sick buck had no idea l was there.All he cared about was the one dimensional doe. Lol
You can see my previously mentioned hunk a branch in the corner holding the blind steady
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/fVL2QS95]Image
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

A few times birds have flown into the thing.
One time a raccoon walked up n saw himself and freaked out ....that freaked me out also and l jumped out of my skin.
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.