Vortex crossfire ii long range test.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Vortex crossfire ii long range test.

Post by Carnivorous »

Finally had the time and the wind was somewhat good to stretch out my shots with the Crossfire 2.

Mounted on my deathstalker. 400gr arrows at 400fps.

Zeroed at 40 with the main 40 yard aim point.

Next moved the target to 60 and used the 60 aim point. First shot was low so I adjusted the speed ring to a lower fps setting and bingo in the money!!

Next out to 80. This is where my accuracy opened up. I blame the factory arrows. Notice the elevation is money. My windage not so much. Not the scopes fault... lol

Brought the target back to 20. A bit high but that will work for a deers vitals..:)

I will need to build some custom arrows before I attempt some 100 yard sessions.

Disclaimer!!
I would never shoot a deer at 100 with my bow. 60 would be my absolute max under perfect conditions. I prefer the 20 and under kills. The 100 yard mark is just for fun.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bcxbow

Re: Vortex crossfire ii long range test.

Post by Bcxbow »

Great shooting and great test Jeff. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... can’t wait to get out & do some shooting w the Death Stalker on my return from Maine.... late August!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wow great shooting Jeff!

SO your arrow starts out below LOS of the scope and rises above it and then falls back in to zero at your zeroed distance. Seems like that bow is shooting pretty flat with a 40yd zero and only 1" high at 20. Still, I bet if you play around with the zero distance you could have that thing plus or minus less than 1" from 20 to 40yds with the aiming points you have. Does Vortex have an app like Hawke does where you can input the ballistics coefficient of the arrow (or calculate it via some specific shooting exercises)? I think that app is called X-Act now. But of course it's tailored to the Hawke reticle
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:21 am
Wow great shooting Jeff!

SO your arrow starts out below LOS of the scope and rises above it and then falls back in to zero at your zeroed distance. Seems like that bow is shooting pretty flat with a 40yd zero and only 1" high at 20. Still, I bet if you play around with the zero distance you could have that thing plus or minus less than 1" from 20 to 40yds with the aiming points you have. Does Vortex have an app like Hawke does where you can input the ballistics coefficient of the arrow (or calculate it via some specific shooting exercises)? I think that app is called X-Act now. But of course it's tailored to the Hawke reticle
Hi Keith

I used the 20 yard aim point for the 20 yard shot.

Vortex suggest to initially sighting in with the 40 aim point then adjust the speed ring to fine tune the other aim points. I need more range time to get used to that concept!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yeah. I looked at the reticle again and 40 is in the middle so that's the one that won't change as you adjust the speed ring. Id check it at 25, 30 and 35 and see what you trajectory looks like. Then you could adjust the speed ring a bit to lower the 20yard arrow some (set it to a faster speed) and 40 would still be good. Then check 30 and play the game. Of course that will mess with 60 too. Just depends on how you want it. It's hard for them to make a reticle that would dead on with every arrow setup one could come up with and also to match bow speeds. Really instead of have "20", "30, "40" aim points, you actually have "18", "32", "40", etc based on your setup. Have a blast playing with that new toy!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Looks like your getting her on track! Heck, I can't see 80 yards! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

It looks like you have the speed ring dialed in well. You can certainly see the bow and scope's potential. The forty yard zero sounds familiar. The Bear X Speedcomp 1.5-5x32 scope had 50 yards in the center. For that reason, I got rid of it. Otherwise it was a good scope. Since all my hunting shots will be under 50 yards I preferred something with a closer zero.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: