How affordable would a compound x-bow need to be to be attractive?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vpsaline

How affordable would a compound x-bow need to be to be attractive?

Post by vpsaline »

We all love recurves but how low $$$ does a compound have to go for you to consider buying one? ....250$ CAD...300...? :eusa-popcorn:

Can you find a use for a budget compound in your collection?
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
Robinsons Rebel

Re: How affordable would a compound x-bow need to be to be attractive?

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Thats a good question. I don't know if I would buy a compound x-bow. I've been too spoiled by having an Excalibur. On the other hand, when my grandson wants his own, I could see getting a $150-200 xbow for him. But if he wants to shoot alot and get more in to it, I'd give him mine and upgrade to another Excalibur. When something goes wrong with the compound xbow, I know it would probably be cheaper to replace it than fix it. Hate to say I would take a free one though.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had my brothers Barnett 300 dollar crossbow grenade in my face... .it wasn't pretty the only wheeled crossbow l trusted was my stryker offspring a (wheeled matrix) awsome bow.
Other than that l would rather have a used Phoenix/ vixen / etc. All readily available on craigslist for about 300 bucks. ...just my opinion.
I like changing a string in 5 minutes also.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I bought a Camx 330 last year for $275. It was used but in new condition. I loved it so much, I bought another brand new one for $250 this year. They are a joy to use. I love my Excals dont get me wrong, but the 380 is becoming a back breaker the older I get.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I chose a Mission MXB 360 for my 2nd x-bow and there was a good reason; that being the ability to change the string without a press. That, and a very well made bow that performs as expected.
My first crossbow was an Excalibur Micro 355 which I needed up selling after deciding which worked better for me. I keep looking at the new Excaliburs as they continue to evolve and will pull the trigger on another in the future.
COST is not an option when purchasing any weapons.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don’t think I wanna have a top dollar model that requires the level of maintenance required for keeping it safe to hunt with. I like being able to keep my equipment in top form right here at home, and in the field if needed. I cannot calculate that value performance.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....some of us are "recurvin" for no other reason that we were no longer in the game :( ; not being able to pull back a compound bow due to bad shoulders....:( :cry:

....since that be me....no price would be attractive for me to even consider a compound again :eusa-hand: :eusa-snooty: .....and quite frankly I enjoy "recurvin" much more than I did the compound.... :wave: :thumbup: :eusa-dance:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

deadeer wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 am
I bought a Camx 330 last year for $275. It was used but in new condition. I loved it so much, I bought another brand new one for $250 this year. They are a joy to use. I love my Excals dont get me wrong, but the 380 is becoming a back breaker the older I get.
I bought a Camx 330 earlier this year, to see what it was like and how it shot. They were $280 new at the time with rope cocker, arrows, quiver, etc. It is ok. Shoots good, easy to cock, not sure I’m in love with the scope, but for the kind of money it cost it is serviceable. I’m not going to get rid of my Excals, but for someone starting out or that is on a really strict budget, you could go hunting.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

To just get out there, anything under a few hundred dollars seems attractive. But once you've got a few Excalibur's in your stable nothing with wheels seems attractive any more. I'd rather dust off the old ExoMax than drop coin on a wheeled crossbow. If I wanted wheels, I'd drop coin on a low poundage vertical bow and hope that my shoulder joints would forgive me.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
TCX

Post by TCX »

I own a couple of Excaliburs and never really thought about buying a compound again at any price.
Not putting down compound models but I'm just one happy Excal owner. :D
Matrix 310- XX75 18" 2215
Ibex SMF- XX75 20" 2216
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I've shot the "bells and/or whistles" bows in a vertical formation. I now shoot a horizontals with no "bells and/or whistles". Guess that pretty sums up the deal. :think:
I don't use a 'rope cocker" on my horizontals. So I guess the issue of "pulling back a bow'" isn't in the equation for me either. I'm a simple kind of guy. If it ain't broke....stop trying to fix the blasted thing. The simplicity of the Excal lineup makes more sense to a guy like myself. :wink:

Now...with that being said, IF I could pick up a Ravin or MIssion for CHEAP, I would, but....I'd trade it in on new Excalibur!!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm
deadeer wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 am
I bought a Camx 330 earlier this year, to see what it was like and how it shot. They were $280 new at the time with rope cocker, arrows, quiver, etc. It is ok. Shoots good, easy to cock, not sure I’m in love with the scope, but for the kind of money it cost it is serviceable. I’m not going to get rid of my Excals, but for someone starting out or that is on a really strict budget, you could go hunting.
About the only good about the scope is its calibrated for their arrows. I replaced both mine with Hawkes. I did kill a nice buck with mine last season. My Excals aren't going anywhere either!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

would have to be given to me then i would sell it for whatever i could get out of it or give to a person just getting into hunting
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I am not against a compound crossbow. I almost bought one once. If I were to take a hunting trip away from home I would take one of my Excaliburs as back up where with an excalibur I would only take an extra string and a changer.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I once missed 2 weeks of a month long hunting season because I had a compound crossbow that ate strings and was a pain to tune. I will never hunt with anything but an Excalibur. I have an Axe and a backup Axe plus spare strings and limbs. So many things can ruin a season why take your chances with equipment?
Take care
Hatchet