Broadhead selection

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Re: Broadhead selection

Post by AJ01 »

Swhacker 100 grain, 2 inch cut heads. (The GREEN ones) If it ain't green, it's a Chinese rip-off :wtf: !!! Tried a few others, both fixed and mechanical. Some worked, some didn't. :think:
I bought about 30 of these heads years ago. When I have destroyed the last one, perhaps then I might change. But until then, I'll just keep swhackin' 'em!! They work for me.

Opinions on broadheads are like other parts of the human anatomy...everybody has one!!! But that doesn't make it work for you!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It's a shame a lot of people are not willing to practice with broadheads because of the cost involved and l get it totally but you owe it to the animal to try them and confirm their accuracy.
I have known tons of hunters that spent hours of practice and money shooting bow or crossbow but not shooting their broadhead ....because the manufacturer claimed ...field point accuracy .
What a mistake!
From experience most expandables will shoot pretty much so but you still have to try a couple especially at max range.
I liked the ramcats a lot but sometimes one shot into a block target would be enough to bend a blade . It can get expensive.
A resharpenanable fixed blade will save a little money sometimes
You have to weigh all the pros and cons and make a decision but please practice with whatever you choose even though it's a little costly
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:46 am
You have to weigh all the pros and cons and make a decision but please practice with whatever you choose even though it's a little costly
Excellent advice LBJ!!! :thumbup:
YOU, as the archer, have to shoot at practice sessions what you plan on hunting with!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Art-Man

Post by Art-Man »

I was originally using the Excalibur bolt cutters. Had two separate pass throughs. one had a decent blood trail then it suddenly ended. No recovery. the second had very little to almost no blood trail and no recovery. Both were decent shots. I the switched to the QAD 125 grain broadhead. Shot a buck at about 35 yards, took out both lungs and wedged into the opposite shoulder. Had to use plyers to get the broadhead out of the bone. Found him pretty easy it was a crime seen.

This year I am going to give the Muzzy Trocar HBX 125 grain a try. They seem to be getting great reviews. I also have some friends that shoot Ramcats and love them and a couple that use the Rage. I personally would not use rage, in talking to the owner of a gun/bow shop he will not even stock them any more. Too many people have had them not open on impact. I will update after this season once I give the new HBX a try.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Innerloc EXP's / Xacts are hard to beat if you have enough horsepower.

Boltcutter's are another really good broadhead... they fly great and kill just as good for a lower poundage bow.

Innerloc's are also made in the USA!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Anything NAP that's on sale, they're all deadly, pick one!
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

vpsaline wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm
Anything NAP that's on sale, they're all deadly, pick one!
I thought so too, then I shot my go to heads for about 20 years. Thunderheads! I had a solid 7 mph crosswind, something a hunter dreams of, and at 30 yards the best group I could get was 4", totally unacceptable. I love every mechanical I ever tried by NAP with the Shockwave leading the pack! The old Tip was the best as well. I'm using SWAT now until they show me i shouldn't! :eusa-popcorn: :eusa-deadhorse:
Yes, I'm a broadhead Junkie, and have tried a bunch. :mrgreen:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

With the right arrow setup, just about any broadhead will shoot accurate enough at typical hunting distances. The arrow setup may dictate somewhat what your range of options will be. The stock arrows are light so they work best with either mechanical broadheads, or anything that weighs 125 grains or more. If your arrows have 110gr brass inserts, then your choices are practically limitless.

I routinely have multiple different broadheads in my quiver. At least one broadhead is reserved for practice before I ever take them hunting. I've got eleven different ones in my current stock and all of them shoot well enough. Here is a list of the 100 grain broadheads that have worked for me in recent years.

NAP Scorpion XP
NAP Spitfire
NAP Spitfire XXX
NAP Spitfire Maxx
NAP Shockwave
Rocket Sidewinder
Rocket Hammerhead
Slick Trick Magnum
GrizzTrick II
Rage 3-blade
Cabelas Laser Strike
Wasp Boss
BassPro Blackout Toxic (fixed 3-blade, G5 Striker clone)
G5 Striker

This season my first two arrows will be equipped with a Truglo Titanium X 4-blade and a Swat Vector.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: