Used 380 Martix or new 340 micro AXE RAID and Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grandesa

Used 380 Martix or new 340 micro AXE RAID and Broadheads

Post by Grandesa »

Hello Everyone -

I am Mike and I am new to the forum as of today. I am about to buy my first crossbow. Been a firearm hunter for years. The bow will be used by my son on his first whitetail youth hunt weekend in Maryland until I can get him used to a 20 gauge. When he isn’t hunting with me I will be using the bow. I am looking for comments, suggestions, or recommendations on the questions below.

I am trying to decided between these two options and am wondering which way you would go and why.

1. I have a gentleman selling a Matrix 380 with the complete sound deadening package added, stringer, arrows, points and no case 90 minutes from me. He wants 450.00 for it and it is in great condition from what I can see. He hurt his shoulder and can no longer pull it at his age. Apparently he bought is a few years ago, sighted it in, shot it hunting about 6 times, took some game, and then was injured.

2. The other option is a new 340 Micro AXE RAID dealer edition from Wyvern for 699.00 shipped and no tax. As part of the package Wyvern throws in the stringer, 6 of their Dragon Claw Arrows, and a package of Slick Tricks. I am not sure if the Slick Tricks are broadheads or field points.

From what I have read both are great bows. I just need to pick one. Then I need to figure out what reliable broadheads I need for hunting whitetail and also sight them in. I need to make a decision this week.

Thank you,

Mike
xcaliber

Re: Used 380 Martix or new 340 micro AXE RAID and Broadheads

Post by xcaliber »

Both will serve you well. The Axe or Mag 340 will give you more freedom of movement because of the size, but I recommend the crank for it to make it more pleasurable at the range. Welcome to the family!

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well Mike,
First of all, WELCOME to the forum!! You will find a lot of good advice, and a ton of good people here!

You are in quite a predicament!! Both the options you listed are very good in my humble opinion.
The Matrix 380 was the "Cat's Meow" back in it's day. A rugged workhorse of a bow. I know several folks on here that will tell you it was the best bow Excalibur ever made. The 380 is STILL quite popular and in demand these days. And from what I have seen as far as "used" Excalibur's go for, that's a heck of a price on a "used" 380, especially with the 'added goodies"!!". :thumbup:

Then on the other hand, you have the ladder tree stand guys or those that shoot out of ground blinds that like the smaller size and weight of the of the Micro 340. It is quite capable of taking anything in North America. Do your job, it will do it's! This one has all the "bells and whistles" plus the "Raid" camo which is just too cool!! :thumbup:

Dave @ Wyvern has one heck of a setup. And I've done business with him in the past. Great guy! He makes great custom arrows for whatever you need. The Slick Tricks are broadheads, fixed blade. Dave will probably send "field points" in the package also.

Reliable broadheads...most of todays broadheads, regardless of "Fixed" or "Mechanical" are reliable. As long as you are!! Shot placement is CRITCAL when hunting with a bow. Being a firearms guy, you know where the vitals are. But with a bow you can't blow thru shoulder bone like you would with a rifle or shotgun. Take your time. You only get one shot!
With all that out of the way...try several brands and/or types in whatever bow you choose. It will like one more than the other. And shoot the head you will be hunting with. Don't take the makers claim that "they fly like a field point". MOST DO NOT. Even my favorite broadhead doesn't fly like a field point. And nope, won't mention the brand by name here, don't want to influence you. :eusa-naughty:

All I will say is try both mechanicals and fixed, and try them on EACH of your arrows cause not all arrows fly alike either Number or mark your arrows so you can keep up with them. Your arrows should be consistent also. Whether practicing on the range or hunting out in the field. Same weight front insert , same nock, same fletching!! Time, patience, practice and persistence go into bow hunting.
Once you get started, it's addictive. I rifle hunted all over the Lower 48 and Alaska. BUT NOTHING beats bow hunting!! :mrgreen:

I hope I've made some sense of this madness that attacks bow hunters. Both of the bows you ask about are great bows. Just depends on what YOU want and not what anyone tells you, you need. :lol:
I will warn you, Excalibur Crossbows are like the old Lay's Potato Chip commercial....You CAN'T have just one!! :mrgreen: :lol: :wave:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I just sold my Ravin R9 this week, and I am going to be buying that Mag 340 Raid package from Wyvern.

I will add on the crank and upgrade the scope to the vortex Crossfire.

As for broadheads, I am going with 100 gr. Ram cat

good luck with what you decide.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

If it was just for you I would say the 380...but I think your son will find the micro easier to shoulder. Either one will kill anything you want it to. 8)
Welcome to the forum :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum! As been said before they are both great bows and it will be your choice so I say buy both :thumbup:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... I add to the others in welcoming you to the Excalibur forum....

....having owned both the 380 and the AXE/MAG 340 I would say they are both great bows... you obviously would saving some coin by buying the used 380...

....I absolutely love the new AXE/MAG 340.... it’s much more compact and is a tack driver...

....I have a sneaky suspicion that your son will love the 340 so much that he might not want to hunt with anything else!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

The M380 for the price and budget gets my vote if your son has reasonable strength. I hunted with a early release M380 for many years and it never failed to make me smile when I put my arrow in the right place.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Both are great Excals I've owned several Matrix 380's and a couple of Micro's. The Micro platform is harder to cock for extended shooting sessions but still is very pleasant to shoot and is very well balanced. The Matrix 380 was always one of my Favorites also. You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck and Welcome to the Forum
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I also wish I could be of more help but both choices are great. Personally, I love and kept my Matrix 380 and sold my Micro 355. That's my choice.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would definitely get the 380. It should be easier to cock by rope cocker and easier on strings and serving. The 380 is more likely to have a better trigger as well. The dollar difference will also go a long way to make upgrades more tolerable. But as far as the ability to kill a deer there won’t be a farts difference.
Welcome to the forum!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

After using a micro for several years now I could never go back to the wider matrix.

:)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:52 am
After using a micro for several years now I could never go back to the wider matrix.

:)
I agree. Plus the axe just shines in every aspect. It's a great all around bow bow. In my opinion, 340-350 is the sweet spot for Micros.
Personally, I'd just get the camo non-decked out model and spend the money on broadheads or whatever
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I haven't heard of any issues with the 380. I have one and can tell you it will be the last to go. I do have a micro 315 and it is just awesome. After reading posts on here, don't know know how I have ever survived with out the AXE. Being poor I guess. altho I checked one out last year at a dealer with a Rep. handy. my grandsons got to shoot it as I was still in a shoulder sling. they really liked it. but I got an Axiom this year to add to the herd. guess what I am trying to say is I really like the matrix 380 but the micro will serve well to. the 380 you mentioned would be cheaper allowing some funds to dress it up,(better scope, bolts,etc.) :eh:
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Grandesa

Post by Grandesa »

Thank you all for the great information . I ordered a Excalibur Micro AXE 340 /MAG 340 RAID from Wyvern. It gets here today and I am waiting by the door to sign for it! I added some luminocks and an extra JBK string. David from Wyvern said that his arrows are already weighted and to go with 100 grain broadheads.

I also ordered 2 packs of 100 grain Ramcats from Sportsman's Guide to go along with the Slick Tricks that come with the 340 micro. I am going to keep my eye on that used 380 and might try and buy it later in the year.

https://www.wyverncreations.com/excalibur-crossbows-c-70/excalibur-micro-axe-340-mag-340-raid-p-1092.html

https://www.wyverncreations.com/excalibur-accessories-c-121/custom-matrix-premium-bowstring-p-611.html

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ramcat-100-grain-broadhead-3-pk?a=1095829