Arrow & broadhead combo For Grizzly

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbow

Arrow & broadhead combo For Grizzly

Post by xbow »

Hey guys. I purchased a Grizzly last year. I shot the standard 18 Inch Diablo with a 100 grain Carbon Express Torrid SS mechanical braodhead. I know the Excalibur reccommends th1 150 grain Boltcutters with this bow. However, Im not a fan of those braodheads due to the small cutting diameter. I did shoot 2 deer with my Grizzly last year and both were recovered. However, on one I did not get a pass through and on the other I got a pass through but a small exit wound and not a great blood trail. I have had great success shooting the Carbon Express boadhead with my Axiom using the standard 20 inch Firebolt.

I believe Carbon Express has discontinued the Torrid SS Mechanical. I want to give Rage braodheads a try because of the large cutting radius. I think I should increase my broadhead weight for my Grizzly. My question is should I go to the 125 or 150 grain Rage Hypodermics forthe Grizzly.
vpsaline

Re: Arrow & broadhead combo For Grizzly

Post by vpsaline »

I'd stick with 100GR to maximize my speed with a Grizzly. It doesn't have much speed to spare...
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shoot a bolt with a 425 total ,110 insert and a 125 grain head out of a 250 fps vixen that's slower than your grizz no worries l think the heavy shaft aids in penetration.
Its passed thru about 9 deer already found every one of em.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

125 grain heads, that's what I recommend also. Heavier up front is better in a cross wind too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Your broad head is your choice . just because it makes a big hole does not mean you will kill, if it does not fly wright you won't kill . they are all deadly pick one that flies good and you can put it where you want it. Joe has taken a lot of deer and gives good advice. JMO.
W.M.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We used an Ibex for years at a speed just like the Grizzly. Got pass-through on everything we shot (over 25 animals). We never shot past 30 yards. BEZS (20" with 110gr insert) and 150 gr fixed broadhead (ABC "Bolt"). Cut-on-contact is a big deal for penetration and so is non-vented blades and a ferrule that is the same diameter as your shaft. Front heavy helps too. You have plenty of velocity. The Ibex was marked 305 fps but we got 277 fps with that bolt set up. It matched the 20 and 30 marks on the scope perfectly and never left us wanting for more.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I’ve killed hundreds of deer and hogs with my grizzly and Nikon Bolt scope. I always come back to the boltcutters and diablo. I use currently the 100 grainers. The grizzly can/will/does pass through any North American animal.

I get pass throughs on 400lb hogs. Shot one hog 420lb what was supposed to be a head shot, deflected off the skull and went in his shoulder and was hanging half way out his rear.

I always shoot deer now with a quick double lung, they flinch like a bug bit them and they trot or walk off and fall over. No tracking required. You hit a deer where it feels massive pain then it will bolt.

Generally on hogs I just shoot through the shoulder area into the core of his vitals. I get about 50% of my bolts back without damage and many passthroughs. I’ve shot two 100 pounder hogs with one shot getting a passthrough on both.

Every time I try to use a mechanical it finds some bizarre vegetation that I didn’t see in my scope and its an epic fail.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Boltcutters really are great heads... fly just like a field point too!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads