Misc Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Scalawag

Misc Questions

Post by Scalawag »

Hello,
New member here, heard this is a nice forum. I have a few questions.

I bought an Ibex ten years ago when they came with aluminum rails. Are these considered better/more desirable than the polymer SMR version?

What sort of modifications/upgrades are people making to their crossbows, and would these work on an Ibex?

Has anyone tried attaching a reel under the rail, a line to a bolt, and used it to throw rope over branches for arborist work?

My crossbow never came with iron sights. Are any available that would work on an Ibex?

What sort of maintenance is needed for a crossbow? How would one go about removing and replacing a string?

More questions sure to follow. Thanks!
Last edited by Scalawag on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scalawag

Re: Misc New Member Questions

Post by Scalawag »

Bump.
xcaliber

Re: Misc Questions

Post by xcaliber »

I don’t think it’s better, but will fetch more when you sell it. As for mounting a reel on it, I would not, just because I wouldn’t want to mess up the rail. Get a good Flemish String for it, and Danny Miller string bumpers, and you’re all good.

Welcome to the forum,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

As far as removing the string, go on you tube and search replacing excalibur string.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, good advice. Watch all of the videos you can, and practice. As for sights, get a scope for it.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The aluminum rail Ibex is a great bow. They are sweet shooters like all Excals. I don’t think you can run the Danny Miller string stops. I think that you will need the S-5 stops from Excalibur. Have fun! To remove the string/change the string/ adjust the string you would benefit from a stringing aid. Excal makes a good one, Danny Miller’s is the bomb! You may can find some sights around. Excalibur quit supplying them several years ago and they are getting harder to find.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

You have one of the best bows Excalibur ever made! Don’t alter that bow in any way. The Vari-Zone scope is a perfect match for the Ibex... they are getting harder to find but still can be had. Love it, shoot it, and hunt with it... those 175 lb bows are really magical!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

I think you'll find you have a bit too much bow for shooting lines for arborist work. You'd need a long line and a very wide open field to make that work. Let alone safe practice :D

Great bow, welcome aboard
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yea you might sheshkabob some one or something 600 yards away for God's sake get a kids crossbow like 100 feet per second
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.