FOC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Art-Man

FOC

Post by Art-Man »

Good Day all, I am sure this has been talked about but when I do a search I get a lot of information that isn't really what I was looking for. I found this website (http://archer1941.com/) and calculator. Not sure if I fully understand it or not but it is telling me I have 17.33 FOC and a 36.8% fletch control force for by current build.

I am shooting a micro 335 suppressed. My questions is in all the experience here is 17.33 % FOC a good number and can anyone really understand and explain the fletching control force number. Not sure if this is good bad or just plain ugly.

New to this custom arrow stuff so trying to learn.

Thanks in advance.
DuckHunt

Re: FOC

Post by DuckHunt »

I took my hunting arrow with a Boltcutter on it and ran it through that calculator. Mine comes up with a 15.29% True FOC and 33.13% fletching control force. My setup shoots most fixed broadheads fine from a Micro 335 up to Micro 400. If your FOC is higher, then you should be good to go with any broadhead.

I've seen FOC numbers near 10% or below have issues with some fixed broadheads but can work fine with most mechanicals. If you are at 15% FOC or more, your probably fine to shoot just about any broadhead. A FOC of 20%+ will cure just about any broadhead ills.

I'm not sure I understand how they can calculate the fletch control force accurately without allowing for more variance in the broadhead design and how the fletching is applied. They mention using a 1-1/8" vented fixed broadhead in the calculation. The Boltcutter I'm using is vented, but what if you are using a broadhead that isn't like many of the Slick Trick offerings. I'm guessing a 1-1/4" fixed four-blade without vented blades (Grizztrick2) will be a lot harder to control. My testing sure seems to indicate that. Also, there is a huge difference in the impact of the fletching based on how it is oriented. Few still use simple straight fletching. Many off the shelf arrows have offset fletching. My Blazers are applied helical. While helical can cost a couple fps of speed, it makes a big difference in controlling a fixed broadhead.

That being said, their details mention that to properly control a fixed broadhead you need a value for Increase in Fletching Control Force over 20%. We're both good. But, you'll certainly want to test their results with some actual broadhead flight.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I pick an arra length,
Cut to size,
Square off end,
Insert and glue 110 g insert,
Glue on 3 SK200’s,
Install Lummy,
Shoot out to 50yds
Very happy,

I would imagine I have good FOC?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

From our experience as a whole on the forum a 110 brass and a 100 or 125 point will be the best option.
Or any way of getting 210 grains to 230 up front.
You can do figuring till your brain bleeds.
Yes a 30 grain insert and a 100 grain point is like the minimum but it just doesn't shoot that good especially in the wind.
As Anthony said forgedaboutit lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Art-Man

Post by Art-Man »

Thanks guys, I was just curious about the fletching portion. I made up a complete new set up this year and going in the morning to my buddies to sight in and make sure they fly straight. I was using local custom arrows with 110 grain insert and 125 grain QAD broad heads and 4 inch fletching. This year I took some time and made sure I have 6 arrows that are all with in .2 grains of weight from each other. Will be using BEE with 110 insert, 2" blazers with 4% offset, Luminock and giving the Muzzy Trocar HBX broad heads a shot. I will let you know how these work out.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I would be surprised if that setup didn't work nothing but awesome for you. Great choice.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.