Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Owl Creek

Deer decoys?

Post by Owl Creek »

Hi folks,
I know some of you use these.
And I have been wanting to try it.
Going to go with the Montana dream team.
Any advice on set ups for late September to mid November hunts will be appreciated.

I hunt timber mostly, but would try fields early season.

Thanks in advance!
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Normous

Re: Deer decoys?

Post by Normous »

I have had luck using them in the field successfully in the past . 2 types I use , an inflatable doe, and a full body hollow decoy that ones stores the head, ears, and legs inside the cavity.

If your buying a new one I suggest washing with non scent soap to get rid of the manufacturing smell and store it outside away from UV. Setting one up using gloves is suggested to keep human odors from contaminating your decoy. Deer will often investigate with the wind to their advantage and not controlling odor will create a failure in the field.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
catclr

Post by catclr »

Check these decoys out https://deerdecoy.org/

Easy to carry and set up.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Catclr,
Very intresting product.
How long have you been using this decoy?
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

[url=https://postimg.cc/RN01vVwF]Image

I like my Montana decoys.

[url=https://postimg.cc/zbXvT3zH]Image

Two deer in a pack, two sided view, easy!

[url=https://postimg.cc/K1SYJ0c2]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks xcaliber.
Any pointers on useing thoses at different times thru the season, or locations?
Do you like to use calls with them?
Do they come with a carrying pouch?

Thanks.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

They will work anytime but l start using my Montana doe about mid October .
The more visible the decoy is the better it will draw a cruising buck in from afar .lm mainly talking about a field set up.
Be safe with these things possibly put up some orange vest or a hat by you or the decoy. And be careful transporting the thing also.
I basically never hunt without it in late fall. I believe l have shot 12 eight points or better over the years with the Montana decoy.
I usually put it about 10 yards upwind from my stand and use a lot of doe p l like tinks reg.doe p spray not rutting type. Reg doe p just works better for me.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/YhDZGWpJ]Image
One of my biggest decoy bucks this buck walked over 600 yards over a overgrown dredge field to get to my decoy ...needless to say l was a nervous wreck watching him come that far ..when you can see antlers at 600 yards you know he is a shooter.
As said a decoy will bring a cruising horned up buck in from a long way
Deer dont like being "surprised "by a decoy it's best to have it more open like in a clearing.
Last edited by longbow joe on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have found that a buck decoy the week or so before the rut will bring another buck, a week later, the doe works best. You have to LIVE your woods. Once i see a fresh scrape, and rub, I know the bucks are becoming territorial, and breaking away from the bachelor group. This is a good time to introduce a trespasser. You want one that immediately intimates forks, and spikes, but good luck with that. :lol: :lol: You don't want a beast, after the rut kicks in, the bucks only fight if confronted! Lesser bucks always breed, the big boys want to dominate, so you want a little bully. I use James Valley scents exclusively, and always walk in toward my stand with the wind in my face, then hook off wind. Make sure your decoys do not stink! Make sure you use good scents correctly, and you will attract deer. Late season, bucks will be begin to cruise for doe's again. Scents, and visuals work great, but not in heavily hunted areas. I don't use them after gun season starts anymore, just for safety sake! 8)
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dont know much about a deers memory but on 3 occasions l had a buck look at the decoy and keep walking ...only to literally come back to it in about 10 to 20 minutes later it's like possibly looking for something better or following a real doe.. but ohh well that thing is there I'm gonna check it out.
I got a nice buck a few years ago daydreaming and l look down and he was right there ..you gotta pay attention not play on your phone..
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks Joe , great stuff!
Keep it coming guys.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks xcal, I am soaking all this in.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I thought that the tinks miss November " blow up love doll decoy" was pretty good ..l still got a new one in the attic in a box. It was a pia in the wind ...stickers and thorns are usually their demise lol.
It was kinda small and brought in a few coyote for me resembling a yearling. I have to say the Montana decoy is better and more friendly.
My favorite call by far is a Quaker boy deer thugs brawler
call, it is modeled after a real deers throat it's by far the best for me and l tried a ton of em from handmade you name it....its got that kind of grunt rattle that just plain works on big n small bucks .
The primos roar call is also good but will scare away whimpy bucks .. dont use it if you meat hunt.lol.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use scent for the decoys after I get rid of human odor, but the scent goes on a tree, or the ground, and even a rag for the doe. I tie a white rag on a branch or pin it to a tree, that way it will blow in the wind. Do not put anything stinky on the decoys! :lol: :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm
I use scent for the decoys after I get rid of human odor, but the scent goes on a tree, or the ground, and even a rag for the doe. I tie a white rag on a branch or pin it to a tree, that way it will blow in the wind. Do not put anything stinky on the decoys! :lol: :lol:
Ya you still have to handle them and drive them home.

Funny story, the last excalibur I purchased (54 weeks now) on the way to the cottage with my family.. I ran into the store, bought it, ran out and tossed in my loaded pickup between the two car seats with kids in them.
Well I guess the store had a bottle of deer piss crack open and it had spilled all over the AXE's box. My kids, my truck and my dog were covered in deer piss.
My wife... Not happy with me.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme