Somewhat new strategy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Somewhat new strategy

Post by xcaliber »

This is not entirely new to us in our small hunting group, but I have decided on a new way to execute the plan this fall. Years ago we hunted a public place that offered a great spot that was a hike & a half from the designated parking areas. We would drive out early, chain up our two climbers then go park. It took a load off our backs for sure, and we did the same on the way out. Well this year I'm thinking of taking my Drone Climber out to this area we hunt in the early season, and chaining it to the tree in that area, if I want to move anywhere from there, it won't be too bad!
Anyone doing this? Thoughts? :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ComfyBear

Re: Somewhat new strategy

Post by ComfyBear »

That sounds like a good plan. :thumbup:
As we grow older, we grow wiser. At least some of us. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Good plan. I left an old steel climber in the woods for a couple season and moved it periodically. Private land tho.
Only down side is the squirrel eat the straps and seats.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I hunt private no public land here...and have two ladder stands up. Easy peasy!! :)

Visited farmer Bob on the weekend. Good to go for 2020!! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:22 am
I hunt private no public land here...and have two ladder stands up. Easy peasy!! :)

Yep, good to have that private land, we have a great place that's private, but we only gun hunt it, it's thick, and we don't want to take any chances with the bows. The public place we hunt is sort of a hunt club that gets most of the pressure when the gun season starts, we try to be out of there when that starts. If I can get a nice fat doe there, I'm very happy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:22 am

Yep, good to have that private land, we have a great place that's private, but we only gun hunt it, it's thick, and we don't want to take any chances with the bows. The public place we hunt is sort of a hunt club that gets most of the pressure when the gun season starts, we try to be out of there when that starts. If I can get a nice fat doe there, I'm very happy.
Have a great SEASON Dan!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You as well Jeff! :thumbup:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have no choice but to use a climber. I’m almost 58 years old and it’s not getting any easier. :eh:
I hunt public land but it’s a military base. It’s about 275 thousand acres with about 240 thousand available to hunt. They have it broken down to numbered areas that average around 1500/2000 acres give or take. It’s a pretty good system but depending on training they may open an area this week then close it for a month or more. You never know, plus you can’t have a permanent stand. Whatever you use has to leave with you.
As in most public land the further off the road you go the better the hunting. It’s just 40 years of being a plumber are starting to catch up with me. :|
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dan have you ever tried using a cheapo 45 dollar strap on stand and just leaving it up in the tree with a lock .
I put like 5 tree steps up top and maby 1 to hold my bow then just bring in 2 climbing sticks l really like this kinda approach.
I also wire tie some limbs and brush to my stand so it doesn't stick out to would be theives.
It's very easy to just carry 2 sticks in
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Sounds like a good plan good luck my friend
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks guys, you as well. Joe I have done that a few years ago I stopped though, just feel safer in the climbers.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have this total ghetto ladder stand l made from a alluminum ladder and it has a pressure treated extension cost me nothing I'm gonna put it in a "questionable" area ...if it lasts a couple weeks I'm cool with it. Hence.....the disposable stand
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I used to hunt this property in Jersey that we had total written permission to hunt but everyone used to sneak in on .. l would take stands down n keep em.sometimes mine would be missing but l was always like 10 stands ahead lol.
I still got about 15 stands in my attic
Was a crazy way to hunt but l got a couple giants there.
I enjoy my new spots now 10 years and the same ladders that's doing good not into intrusion just seclusion now