HELP!....I NEED SOMEBODY, HELP!....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

HELP!....I NEED SOMEBODY, HELP!....

Post by amythntr »

.....just when you think you have become an expert in something, this guy Murphy shows up to remind you that maybe you are not!

.....Setting: AXE 340 (#2) with the ExCharger....I have been wanting to get my #2 sighted in...didn't get a chance this week...so, I said, "let me adjust the brace height so I will be ready when I get a chance to go.".....now I have done this numerous times over the 7 years I have owned Excalibur's....

.....so, fat, dumb and happy I start the process and am cranking up the stringer rope and then I hear a pop....I realize what I had done!

.....the stringer rope was over the arra retainer, not under it!

.....the popping sound I heard was the front screw of the arra retainer popping out of the ADF....so now it clearly was only being held by the back screw...

.....I said, let me assess my stupidity and decided to remove the screws holding the scope, ADF and the arra retainer....well, first three screws came out no problem....the fourth screw the allen wrench just spun in the pocket. How could that be?....I had not even touched those screws before!

....NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THOSE PARTICULAR SCREWS.....

....so I was only able to pull the mount up enough to see that the front arra retainer screw stripped out....

NOW TO THE HELP I NEED:

1. How do you remove the fourth screw from the scope assembly (yes, I tried the next size allen.) ....Has anyone used a dremmel to create a channel in the screw head to remove it with a flat head?

2. Once I get the screw out and remove the assembly what is suggested with regard to the stripped out screw?

thanks for your help!
Last edited by amythntr on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Re: HELP!....I NEED SOMEBODY, HELP!....

Post by amythntr »

duplicate post
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

These work
https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Stripped-Extractor-Remover-Hardness/dp/B08C2PGF9S.
As I have stated many times, use a magnetic bit and beat it in like it owes you money. That will weaken the loctite bond and will also broach the hole of the screw to ensure full engagement.

https://youtu.be/_mTFQbaT3Zc
Around 4:50 will be the info on how to use the extractor.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Anthony, you probably haven't had to remove them since they started applying locktite from factory. I now hit the heads with a small butain torch before I remove them, (following Boo's advice/techniques above) that way there is no guessing whether of not they have sealant applied.

I did have one strip out on me earlier this year, and I was able to remove it by cutting a slot into it for a screwdriver. But again, as the screw was weaker now, I heated it up so there was no resistance and it slipped right out.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Cut off tool in a Dremel will get you a slot. Use LARGE screwdriver.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

For the stripped bolt retainer screw, if it removed the threads from the screw you are probably ok but should run the correct size tap in the scope mount hole to clear those threads (can’t recall if it is 8-32 or 6-32 for those) and if the threads in the scope mount for the retainer is stripped you will have to redrill and tap that hole to the next size up.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... thanks guys....I guess I need to go to Home Depot or Lowe’s!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:45 pm
..... thanks guys....I guess I need to go to Home Depot or Lowe’s!
Amazon will deliver
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... what am I ordering again? :eusa-think:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:18 pm
Cut off tool in a Dremel will get you a slot. Use LARGE screwdriver.
Have the screwdriver at the ready, after you grind the groove, it will be hot & break free easily. Steady hands!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

amythntr wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm
.... what am I ordering again? :eusa-think:
Just send me your bows.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

janesy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:01 pm
Anthony, you probably haven't had to remove them since they started applying locktite from factory. I now hit the heads with a small butain torch before I remove them, (following Boo's advice/techniques above) that way there is no guessing whether of not they have sealant applied.

I did have one strip out on me earlier this year, and I was able to remove it by cutting a slot into it for a screwdriver. But again, as the screw was weaker now, I heated it up so there was no resistance and it slipped right out.
....why would I have had the reason to remove them in the past?.....the only reason I could think about Chris would have been to apply shrink wrap over the arra retainer....

..... I think i am just going to remove all of them and change out to the Ti64 titanium!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:04 am
janesy wrote:

....why would I have had the reason to remove them in the past?.....the only reason I could think about Chris would have been to apply shrink wrap over the arra retainer....

..... I think i am just going to remove all of them and change out to the Ti64 titanium!
Titanium will not be your solution. In my experience, titanium used in bows are more easily stripped at the socket. Technique and good quality stainless or carbon steel is a better choice. Where titanium is a benefit is tensile strength per weight and that is not your issue.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 am
amythntr wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:04 am
janesy wrote:

Titanium will not be your solution. In my experience, titanium used in bows are more easily stripped at the socket. Technique and good quality stainless or carbon steel is a better choice. Where titanium is a benefit is tensile strength per weight and that is not your issue.
.....good to know, "Oh Master that you are!" ......I be just a lowly Grasshopper! :(

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Replace with torx head screws. They are the most strip resistant.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.