Hunting the lunar charts.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

Hunting the lunar charts.

Post by elkaholic »

Do you use ? Do they work?

Find it interesting that when I hunt the best days and the major times. I usually see nothing.

But when we go and hunt the days it tells us to stay home, We always seem to tag out!

Don't even want to talk about t he " red moon " trophy buck stuff. LOL

I've resolved to go hunting, when I got the time and opportunity, no matter the lunar predictions !

Lunar today. 4 star best day. Major 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm orr something like that. Ok give it a go. Squirrels were active!!
xcaliber

Re: Hunting the lunar charts.

Post by xcaliber »

I watch the weather report, scout the places I hunt, and make sure I don't stink! I play the wind in the areas that show recent sign, and that seems to work for me. I'm with you, I don't trust the magic 8 ball! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm
I watch the weather report, scout the places I hunt, and make sure I don't stink! I play the wind in the areas that show recent sign, and that seems to work for me. I'm with you, I don't trust the magic 8 ball! :lol: :lol:
That's the ONLY way to hunt as far as I'm concerned :thumbup:

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I go hunting anytime I'm free.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I tryed it , also tried it with fishing.
I felt it was a waste of my money, alot of guys go by it tho.

I will be going when I can.
I have the last 2 fridays in October off to take 3 day trips. But I will be paying close attention to the weather like Excaliber said. From what I have been reading big temperature drops like 20 or 30 degrees.
and storm fronts moving out plays a big part on deer movement.

Wish I could of learn alot of this stuff when I was younger. I have learn more from a few guys on here the last few years than anyone I know personally taught me.

This is a great brotherhood on here!
I enjoy being apart of it.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I hunt when l can.
One archery season it was darn near 85 degrees stupid joe was hunting probably about 25 years old.
Nothing was moving but sweat. I'm at my buddies house more than likely stretching the property line a little.
This oriental man in a suite walks under me with a camera ....real estate man nature lover..peeping tom who the heck knows ..he dosnt see me in my climber so he walks outta site then comes a 150 inch 10 pointer from the direction he walked ...10 yard chip shot deer crashed 20 yards out. Waited n hour to see if he came back ...no see him again.
I hunt when l can!

I do believe that when the moon is up anytime of the day or night animals and fish are more active...a day moon during the rut ...I'm in the stand. I hunt when l can
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:57 pm
Do you use ? Do they work?

Find it interesting that when I hunt the best days and the major times. I usually see nothing.

But when we go and hunt the days it tells us to stay home, We always seem to tag out!

Don't even want to talk about t he " red moon " trophy buck stuff. LOL

I've resolved to go hunting, when I got the time and opportunity, no matter the lunar predictions !

Lunar today. 4 star best day. Major 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm orr something like that. Ok give it a go. Squirrels were active!!

There is a explanation for lunar activity, and it's simply more light. Animals move when there is light. They get up when the sun comes up.
I've never paid any attention to the moon for hunting.
But back when I Muskie fished a lot, I did. And fish in general where more active. But mostly the night bite. But again, if the perch and pickerel can see up better and therefore sillouette their prey better they are going to move more, which in turn gets the Muskies moving more and so on and so on.

BUT! And here the huge but that nobody likes to hear. If you only ever go fishing at night when the calendar tells you the moon is full. And when you are out there you catch a big Muskie... How would you ever know the moon had anything to do with it if you only ever play the moon.? Would you have caught that fish last week?
So who's really following the moon us or them 🤣?
The marketing is the same for hunters, now we have apps that can tell us when the optimum time is, or when the weather is best or worst. Pretty sure the deer don't have the app, and they are not told when it's a good or bad time to be hunted lol.

But does it make a difference in animal behaviour yes absolutely.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I looked at things like that when I was younger. I believe there are too many variables to be consistent with it. I live in the deep south where the rut is really scattered from Oct to Feb. I've learned over the years that the best way to kill a deer is to be in the woods. So I'll be there when its hot and when there is alittle rain. I don't believe there is a short cut. If there was , I don't think I would love deer and turkey hunting as much. But if you try it and it works for you , who am I to judge? Nothing is guaranteed: just treat it like its another tool in the tool box and happy hunting!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Same here go out when I can. As someone pointed out deer has no apps to go by and besides it’s all the more reason to get out there for the experience of trial and error, getting to know your game habits, and especially spending time in the woods ahh peace and quite :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

West is best because my best tree stand spot is on the north east corner of the wood lot... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There’s only one thing that is totally true when it comes to this discussion, you cannot kill a deer if you’re not out hunting!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:31 am
There’s only one thing that is totally true when it comes to this discussion, you cannot kill a deer if you’re not out hunting!
Dan...You said it all in that one statement!!! GET OUT and GO HUNT!!!!! You're not gonna kill that buck sitting in front of the fireplace watching football!!! :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!